J&E Fishing Supply

Moderators: primo808, bluefinmod, 96743

Fishbreath
100+ Club
100+ Club

J&E Fishing Supply

Post by Fishbreath » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:37 pm

Shout Outs should be complimentary in nature, but I got to say that this place is the most uncomfortablest store to shop in. Every time I walk in there, BAM, The Younger is right there in my face or staring holes in the back of my head. Decent prices, but dang, for real? The Elder did offer me a pastry the last time though. :o

kt
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Re: J&E Fishing Supply

Post by kt » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:49 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You got that too. You're right, good prices and nice place, but the younger lady just gives me the creeps. :o The old lady is cool.

You go in to browse and you indirectly "feel" like a thief. :o All eyes on you brah! :mrgreen: :lol: Kinda makes you want to look up and say....If it makes you feel any more comfortable...Would you like to get the camcorder and press record while you're standing there watching me? :P

Kyle K
Member 50+
Member 50+

Post by Kyle K » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:02 pm

Wow! You guys must be spooky looking (or hot). She don't look at me like that.

kt
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by kt » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:09 pm

Try browse by the lures on the back wall. She'll be right there in a new york second!

Peesherman
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by Peesherman » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:37 pm

Hahaha! Not to mention the customer limit allowed in the place. I think its no more than 5 people at once?
You took the time to search every post I made on here? Im flattered.

Kyle K
Member 50+
Member 50+

Post by Kyle K » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:32 pm

Hmmm... Come to think of it, she does seem more cautious/suspicious than she used to be. I wonder if they had a bad experience. Both of the ladies were pretty nice back when they were in the Kalihi Shopping Center, but the younger one was always quieter.

LightTackle
100+ Club
100+ Club

Post by LightTackle » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:09 pm

I went there once with two of my friends and I ended up buying a bunch of stuff (new pole, fishing dvd, etc). They have pretty low prices. After I pay for everything, another friend calls me up and says he'll head down since he just ended work and needs to pick up some gear. So we hang around and check out stuff as you would do in any fishing store until my friend arrives about 10 minutes later. He just begins to start looking for the stuff he needs when the younger lady says, "We're going to have to ask you guys to leave. There's a 20 minute time limit in our store and we don't allow loitering. The people who shop here know what they want before they come and don't hang around." We thought she was joking at first...I mean c'mon "20 minute time limit"...but she was serious, so we all left... and went straight to Charley's instead :lol: I guess I felt pretty offended though because I had just given them about $200 bucks worth of business, and in return for my money, I get promptly thrown out... and it's not like my friends and I are a bunch of thugs...I mean we're talking straight from work in long pants, shoes, and collared shirts... Don't think I'll be going back there anytime soon :lol: ... or ever again...
Tackle light, better fight.

By releasing a fish today, you increase your odds of catching a fish tomorrow.

reefmonsta
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by reefmonsta » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:49 pm

In my experience over the years, when you go to mom and pop shops (any kine, not just fishing shops) you can get treated one of three ways:

1. You are welcomed, talk story with you, and treated like a customer REGARDLESS if you buy something or not.

2. They dont pay any attention to you unless you ask for something. They wont even bat an eye when you walk in or out, let alone even look in your direction.

3. They treat you like an invader/trespasser. They watch your every step and definitely make you feel unwelcome.

My one experience at J&E was like number three. Sure the prices are a little better on some things, but not on everything. Dont get me wrong, sometimes if you know what you want and just want to walk in, grab your stuff, pay and go, this is the place for you. Personally, I dont mind paying a couple extra bucks, hanging out and talking story if time permits and building a relationship with the people I give my hard earned money to.

I am not saying you shouldn't shop at J&E, it all boils down to personal preference. For me, If they got to the point where they actually made their customers feel welcomed, I'd gladly go back. I am sure everyones experience is different and if their business methods and level of customer service is working for you, by all means keep going there.
reefmonsta
Instagram - follow @reefmonstah

tod071
200+ Club
200+ Club

Post by tod071 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:59 pm

I used to think the same thing. The elder is always following you. I thought it was to answer any questions you have. But i also thought it was pretty rude to be following customers, even though it might be also looked at as good service.

But i heard that they've been hit several times on small stuff like leads, right by the door. As well as grubs and the other small stuff on the wall have been taken. Most times, thieves work in groups and distract the owners while they take stuff. After hearing that, I can understand why they follow you and don't allow too many people in the shop at once.

I know it might be hard to deal with,but thanks to thieves, we all have to suffer their uneasiness while trying to run a business. Hope you guys can understand their side of the business. I don't think they have a choice.

Brian F.
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by Brian F. » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:00 pm

I agree with tod071. A friend of mine works at a retail business in the same area and he's told me that the stretch of commercial area from Iwilei to Mapunapuna has one of if not THE highest rates of shoplifting losses in the country. I started visiting J&E a long time ago and over the years remember that they were observant but friendly if you talked to them. For the ladies to have taken such aggressive measures means to me they probably suffered from some serious shoplifting and I don't blame them for doing what they have to do. Maybe people prefer not to go there but they seem to do ok and give them credit for staying open for so long. I don't think anyone would understand the difficulties if they were not in their shoes.
Aloha,
Brian F.

"No House, No Fish"
"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"
http://fishtoday.org (the views expressed above are my own and do not specifically represent that of PIFG)

RHK106
Big Time Poster
Big Time Poster

Post by RHK106 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:19 pm

That's sad to hear. Many old "mom and pop" stores fail to evolve with the times when it comes to theft prevention. There are other measures that can be utilized to deter theft by adjusting the layout in their store and strategically placing products to minimize having to "watch over the customers shoulder" and giving them that uncomfortable feeling. Many are just set in their ways.
-Reyn-

VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by 44808 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:55 pm

No worry.

If you go there enough and drop some cash they'll remember you.
Don't go there too often anymore but i used to drop off ahi loins every time we caught. They no forget me after that 8)
Rippin' lips

f8ldzz
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by f8ldzz » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:25 pm

If you've gotten...negative service from J&E, I question how did you present yourself when you walked into the shop?
Could you have passed as some random chronic off the street?
No offense, but I know some of us fishing guys - including me - walk around with boro boro, puka clothes and needed a shave last month!

Keeping in mind the location of the shop - Brian F. has already covered the details on this in a previous reply.
Their layout makes it pretty easy to grab something small and tuck it into your pockets...
Lead, nowdays, isn't cheap!

I recently went to J&E a few weeks ago, and I never got the vibe I was suspicious from the person behind the counter.
I knew I was kept an eye on, but it felt like they were being attentive - ready to ask if I needed help - rather than ready to pick up the phone and call 911.
I was in shorts / T-shirt / slippers, but they were all in good condition - my puka clothes was left behind that day.

If you're going to visit next time, here's some advice:
1) dress a little better and keep the "sleep clothes" at home and shave or groom your facial hair
2) when you walk into the shop, wave and say "hi" to the person behind the counter
I bet you'll get a better experience...and this works for almost all stores you may visit.

kona-ulua-style
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by kona-ulua-style » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:19 pm

Fishbreath wrote:Shout Outs should be complimentary in nature, but I got to say that this place is the most uncomfortablest store to shop in. Every time I walk in there, BAM, The Younger is right there in my face or staring holes in the back of my head. Decent prices, but dang, for real? The Elder did offer me a pastry the last time though. :o
Please try this..? When we shop in Fishing store.... Any items (especially the smaller ones).. We bring them to the counter..mention..we are still shopping..find more items..bring them to the counter..till we finish.. This makes them feel more easy and relax... and we are also building more trust..!

These Stores ( all kinds too)..suffer from too many people stealing... and cost them big money in losses... If you work there.oIver time...YOU will become just like them too..? Shop lifting...is a BIG problem for everyone...including the honest people...who gets 'WATCH"..!

Aloha, Honesty and Trust...is EARN... Once you lose it..Nothing in the world is going to change your reputation...

kagami35
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by kagami35 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:59 am

I have the opportunity to see two sides of the sword on a daily basis - ONE - The customer feels like they are doing the business a favor (by choosing to shop there) and TWO - The business feels like they are doing the customer a favor (by offering unique products, services, prices and/or convenience).

I've never been to J&E but have been to establishments like that. I tend to take the high road and kill them with kindness to win them over. If not, I just never go back, especially if I can get the items elsewhere. I've also learned that a good policy when entering mom & pop establishments is to politely walk over and introduce yourself as soon as you enter and ask a question such as "Can you show me where your _____ is?" or "What kinds of ______ do you have available?" If you go in with the mentality that you're going into their house as a guest and act accordingly then you shouldn't have any problems.

As a side note, the internet age has brought a new type of shopper - the ones that frequent local establishments to touch and feel products with no intention of buying there. They do their "research" at local shops then buy the item online instead of giving the shop their business. I've been guilty of doing that at times but I know some people that do that habitually. Sooner than later they wear out their welcome.