Garcia Mitchell Reels

Moderators: primo808, 96743, bluefinmod

UluaHunta
Mega poster
Mega poster

Garcia Mitchell Reels

Post by UluaHunta » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:27 pm

Aloha,

Yesterday I received some really old fishing gear from my father's uncle. I came across some GARCIA MITCHELL reels. Two reels seemed to be used but in fairly nice shape and I got a brand new 306 GARCIA MITCHELL reel. I would like to receive more knowledge about these reels. Gear ratio, type of fishing these reels were used for and etc... Thank you and if I posted this in the wrong section MODS feel free to move this topic!

I also got some old terminal tackle including hooks, lead, floaters, lures, spoons. Got couple old rods pretty interesting stuff! 8)

loose $$ money!!

Roadrunner808
100+ Club
100+ Club

Re: Garcia Mitchell Reels

Post by Roadrunner808 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:56 pm

They look to be from the 70's...i remember my uncles using those types back in the day and i have one that looks like it say Berlin West. Looks similar to one of thhe ones you have. I checked the gear ratio on mine and it was 3:1. All I can say is the reels back then were built solid. You'd probably have a hard time getting ne parts. Your best bet, if you thinking of rebuilding them, is to look for um on ebay and using the good parts as spares. you should jus chance um and see what it was like to fish back in the days. but all in all....looks like you have a pretty good collection of vintage stuff.

SteveA
100+ Club
100+ Club

Post by SteveA » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:12 am

My second spinner was a Mitchell 406 my dad bought for me in the 1970's. That was a good reel - I used it for whipping plugs for papio and night fishing for menpachi. I fished the reel with 17lb test and 20lb test line. These were really popular reels. My uncles and grandfather used Garcia Mitchell spinning reels for shoreline fishing. Those reels caught a lot of fish! Oshima Store in Kainaliu, Kona and Yama's Specialty sold Garcia Mitchell reels. My dad still has my reels at his house. These were solid reels. The main feature, I think, that made Garcia Mitchells popular with Kona fishermen was the push-button spool release. You could change spools on several models without disturbing your drag setting. You can fish several different line sizes on one reel. Just need to buy extra spools.

UluaHunta
Mega poster
Mega poster

Post by UluaHunta » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:28 am

Thanks for the info. My plan is to keep the reels because sentimental value. I really have no intent to use any of the reels maybe one day I will try test out the new GARCIA MITCHELL 306 reel and see how it goes. In the last picture below I tried putting the spools on the two used reels but none of the spools seemed to fit it. But when I had to strip all the old line out of the reel I was amazed at how much line it holds and seriously the line did feel thick :o.

I will try to post some pictures of all the old terminal tackle things tonight. Pretty interesting stay inform and chime in
loose $$ money!!

SteveA
100+ Club
100+ Club

Post by SteveA » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:27 am

What are the model numbers of the two used reels? I can't make them out from the pictures. Are the spare spools all the same size? If the spools are the same diameter as the Mitchell 306 spool, they should fit. Looking at your picture, the drag knob on the spools look like the 406 style knob. The difference between the Mitchell 306 and 406 was the gear ratio, the 406 was the high ratio version - about 4 or 4.5 to 1. The line capacities are the same. The smaller reel looks like a 300 or 308, a popular size for Menpachi fishing. Those reels are vintage now.

UluaHunta
Mega poster
Mega poster

Post by UluaHunta » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:19 pm

I just checked the model numbers. GARCIA MITCHELL 406 AND 410. Both reels say high speed on the side of the handles. I tried playing with the spools but all the extra spools are all different sizes but the hole in the middle so the spool can slide down seems to be the problem. I notice that some holes are bigger and some are smaller so that's why it didn't fit on the reels I have now. I may try again tom. to confirm it 100%. Thanks for all the info.
loose $$ money!!

deepkona
Big Time Poster
Big Time Poster

Post by deepkona » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:20 am

UluaHunta,
Those Mitchell reels, especially the "high speed" blue ones were close to the "top-of-the-line" back in the early 70's. These came in a red/black clamshell plastic box with a spare spool and grease. If you view ebay, lots of these up for sale to collectors, there is a cult following in Garcia Mitchell reels of that era.
Like SteveA said, Oshima Store(Susumu) in Kainaliu and Yama's(Don) in Kailua, Kona sold these reels. that is where my Dad and I got ours, still got some. Again, what SteveA said, the # 308 was THE REEL TO GET for Menpachi fishing. If I recall correctly, it was like $35.00 to $38.00 for a # 308 back in the 70's and that was a lot of money.
The larger #488 was the go-to spinner for bigger game. Kinda clunky if you compare it to the reels of today but it was great back then...held lots of line(monofilament...no braid back then).
That is great that your Uncle passed them down to you. Whether you use them or store them, "Good Stuff". Your Uncle spent some $$$ on those back then and they look to be in decent shape.
Mahalos,

Don B
Mega poster
Mega poster

Post by Don B » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:20 am

I purchased a 406 in 1967 and later a 486 in about 1975. The major problem that I had with those reels was that the bail had a tendency to snap closed during a cast. The Dam Quick reels became popular about 1968 and took a lot of the Garcia sales.

UluaHunta
Mega poster
Mega poster

Post by UluaHunta » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:25 am

deepkona;

WOW interesting info!! And I can imagine the money he spent back than on gear :o.

Later on today I will be taking pics. of couple old rods I got and the terminal tackle. Didn't get around to it earlier but today I will for sure. Thanks everyone who responded!! Awesome info!!
loose $$ money!!

hammah

Post by hammah » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:58 am

i had a gm 308...used to underhand cast from the redondo pier in the late 60s,early 70s......these were the best we could get at the time...used to fish bonita and barracuda....heavy by todays standards....built like a truck....i remember holding my reel and just pawing at it ....live anchovies and smelt for bait.....rail runner days...hook up..hook up....that was the call.....my roots fo sho.....thanks for the memories

UluaHunta
Mega poster
Mega poster

Post by UluaHunta » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:01 pm

I was truly blown back at the prices of the feather lures and fishing line :o. The feather lures sold for .59 cents and the bigger ones sold for .75 cents!! The 6lb test line in the purple box was $5.19 and the 25lb test line(grey color) was $1.29 or something. I have lots of floaters all different sizes and shapes so I posted the ones that stood out to me. Hope everyone enjoys the photos and it can bring back good memories alohas
loose $$ money!!

UluaHunta
Mega poster
Mega poster

Post by UluaHunta » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:06 pm

These are the rods I got handed down to me. The first 2 photos are of a 12ft DAIWA rod which my dad said my uncle would use to fish for ulua with? Pole is stiff but flexible from the tip to about the 2nd or 3rd guide down. Rod is in overall decent shape but guides are trashed. In the photo with the 2 smaller rods the rod on the left is also a DAIWA rod. The rod on the right seems to be unknown nothing is on the blank. I believe the 2 DAIWA rods are the same models just different length in size/ratings. I say this because both have the same DAIWA logo and same colors for the threads and etc.. of the rods. Please feel free to chime in.
loose $$ money!!

Brian F.
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by Brian F. » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:41 am

No idea what the rod is but great stuff you got there.
Aloha,
Brian F.

"No House, No Fish"
"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"
http://fishtoday.org (the views expressed above are my own and do not specifically represent that of PIFG)

kt
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by kt » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:56 am

Another "classic" scene is the red wood toungue & groove wall in the background behind the fishing poles. :lol: Today, a lot of people see the typical painted dry wall.

Nice equipment. Long time no see...........The classic Dillenger plug lure. I remember those along with the fox spoons...the ones you got there in the picture as well as the classic red spoon with the wavy white stripe running down the center of the spoon. What you are missing is the classic scrounger lure (curly tail) with the clear flexible plastic toungue on the lead head part of the jig. Another one is the old rapala lures and the old yozuri clear fish lures with the pink lines running verticle on the body and the little ball bearings in the body to make them rattle.

I sill remember those steel leader in those packages with the fish picture...Thanks for the memories.

Btw, does it have anywhere what store those items were purchased at? Would be interesting to see things like...Gibsons, Pay & Save, Kida's Fishing Supply, Kaya's, etc... :o
Last edited by kt on Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

UluaHunta
Mega poster
Mega poster

Post by UluaHunta » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:04 am

kt;

The 6lb test line is from PAY N SAVE get the white sticker on the box. I also found a small package of hooks from CLARKS SALE? The rest of the terminal tackle has price tags on them but no STORE name. The price tags are on orange stickers. I got a lot of hooks, wire leaders, feather jigs all with these orange stickers.
loose $$ money!!