Great to be back on the site...

Moderators: primo808, bluefinmod, 96743

O'Salt
Super Poster
Super Poster

Great to be back on the site...

Post by O'Salt » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:15 pm

Aloha everyone,

Wow, its been a while since I was last on but ever since my daughter changes colleges it has been a rough road for me. Plus we got hit by Hurricane Sandy and had a tree fall on the house a limb crashed through the roof and into our bedroom just missing my wife and daughter by 4 feet. It has takes us this long to get things back to almost normal around here. But now I am back fishing locally and we are looking forward to getting back to the islands in May. Hoping for Lea day festivities. If there are any amateur radio guys on here I am hoping to have my station back up and running by summers end. I lost a couple of antennas to the storm and my biggest one needs tower repair as well. My call sign is N2HYG and I can be found on 20 a lot.

Aloha and Mahalo for being there. I love this site.

Happy Catching

Paul
http://www.mainlandstudio.com
Mainland Studio
Landscapes, Seascapes, and all things Marine

kona-ulua-style
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Re: Great to be back on the site...

Post by kona-ulua-style » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:32 pm

O'Salt wrote:Aloha everyone,

Wow, its been a while since I was last on but ever since my daughter changes colleges it has been a rough road for me. Plus we got hit by Hurricane Sandy and had a tree fall on the house a limb crashed through the roof and into our bedroom just missing my wife and daughter by 4 feet. It has takes us this long to get things back to almost normal around here. But now I am back fishing locally and we are looking forward to getting back to the islands in May. Hoping for Lea day festivities. If there are any amateur radio guys on here I am hoping to have my station back up and running by summers end. I lost a couple of antennas to the storm and my biggest one needs tower repair as well. My call sign is N2HYG and I can be found on 20 a lot.

Aloha and Mahalo for being there. I love this site.

Happy Catching

Paul
Glad to hear everything is ok or a little better... Welcome back..!

Aloha

deepkona
Big Time Poster
Big Time Poster

Post by deepkona » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:27 am

Aloha O'Salt,
First of all..welcome back to these forums...sad to hear about your encounter w'Hurricane Sandy but glad to hear all is good for now.
We are going through Tropical Storm "Flossie" in the next few days so hope all turns up well for the islanders with that.

Question: The portrait shown on your posts, if you don't mind me asking....where is that painting of....Molokai....or just a rendering by an artist of no particular area....?
I like it....speaks nicely of Hawaii Nei...!!!
Mahalos,

bait tossah
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by bait tossah » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:43 am

howzit,

welcome back!!

aloha,
"jus got lucky"

Brian F.
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by Brian F. » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:03 am

Welcome back, Paul. Glad things are looking better for you.
Aloha,
Brian F.

"No House, No Fish"
"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"
http://fishtoday.org (the views expressed above are my own and do not specifically represent that of PIFG)

sea sick
200+ Club
200+ Club

Post by sea sick » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:01 pm

welcome back o'salt...
deepkona wrote: Question: The portrait shown on your posts, if you don't mind me asking....where is that painting of....Molokai....or just a rendering by an artist of no particular area....?
I like it....speaks nicely of Hawaii Nei...!!!
Mahalos,
I could be mistaken, but I remember him saying that the avatar pic (his own artwork) was of waimanalo near sherwoods i believe. One of many very talented artists on this forum

O'Salt
Super Poster
Super Poster

Post by O'Salt » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:49 am

Hi guys,

Yes Sea Sick you are right, It is one of my paintings of Hawaii Nei. It was from the beach in Waimanalo close to Sherwoods. That area is very special to me even though it has a bad rep. DeepKona thank you for asking. I am doing one of Waimea Bay from the overlook from the Puu o Mahuka Heiau there. I hope to have it completed soon.

Happy Catching everyone...

Paul
Mainland Studio

Don B
Mega poster
Mega poster

Post by Don B » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:03 pm

Hi Paul,

I'm sorry to hear about your bad luck. We hope to see you when you return to the islands. Your Aloha will never be forgotten as well as your kindness and generosity when you provided hand warmers in the frozen lands known as New Jersey.

Mahalo,
Don

O'Salt
Super Poster
Super Poster

Post by O'Salt » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:04 pm

Aloha Don,

That was the least I could do for you guys. I know you were cold and not use to our climate. Just be glad the competition was not in Alaska...

We will be making out reservations on October and staying in Ko Olina area again. We will be going out with a number of ohana so it should be a hoot. Before we leave if you need anything let me know and I can bring it out with me.

Aloha

Paul
Mainland Studio

deepkona
Big Time Poster
Big Time Poster

Post by deepkona » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:09 am

O'Salt,
Wow man....you are very talented as an artist....fisherman too I bet...!!!
Love your artwork and wondering if you have a portfolio or gallery here in Hawaii showing your pieces.?

Will you be posting your finished "Waimea Bay" painting...? (complete with the Halalu school in the shallows.?)

Mahalos,

Don B
Mega poster
Mega poster

Post by Don B » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:23 pm

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your kind offer.

This year I'll be better prepared. I've already ordered hand warmers from BassPro. Hopefully winter will arrive a little later this year.

Mahalo,
Don

O'Salt
Super Poster
Super Poster

Post by O'Salt » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:17 am

Aloha all,

Deepkona, I love painting as much as I love to paint pr getting engulfed on photography. Sorry to say I do not have a gallery in the Islands ( I would love to though one day), but I do have a web site that is up and running. Click on the painting and you will see the link to my site. Thank You for asking. Some things are old on there but you can see some of my other paintings. Right now the painting is a work in progress so by the time it is finished the Halalu will not be running :D ... :( If they were I would have to put tons of peeps in the painting. :lol:

@Don, I hear you on the hand warmers. Where will the competition be this year?

Aloha, Happy Catching

Paul
Mainland Studio

Don B
Mega poster
Mega poster

Post by Don B » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:09 pm

Hi Paul,

The next two (last two for 2013) are scheduled for DC.
The US Open is listed for 9/14, but I was told it is 9/14 & 9/15. (???)
The US Nationals are 10/5 & 10/6. I guess we need for it to get cold enough to ...

The directions to the DC field can be found on the following thread:
http://www.longdistancecasting.forumfla ... topic=1611

Will you be attending?

Best wishes,
Don

O'Salt
Super Poster
Super Poster

Post by O'Salt » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:59 pm

Hi Don,

Not this one. My daughter will be graduating the Are Institute of Philadelphia around that time so I will be missing it. I checked the area that it is at and well just be careful its not in the best area. I use to work in DC in the 60's and back then it was like Sherwood Forrest. It might of changes but I don't think so.

Happy Casting

Paul
Mainland Studio

Don B
Mega poster
Mega poster

Post by Don B » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:40 pm

Hi Paul,

Congratulations to your daughter.

I was on detail to DC from early 1999 to mid 2000. It was about 50 yards to the National Mall. There were some great memorable events and other memorable events.

I feel quite comfortable in DC during daylight hours. In fact, I feel more comfortable in DC than in LA.

Best wishes,
Don