Customer Service IS Important!

Moderators: primo808, 96743, bluefinmod

island driver
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Customer Service IS Important!

Post by island driver » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:20 pm

Hi gang, just a little rant.....

I went to town to run errands with my family and needed to stop by a fishing shop to get some odds and ends, mainly lures. The shop was closed for inventory, so I had to go elsewhere. On my way back west, I stopped by one of the shops in a pinch. I parked out front and walked in the door, which makes a noise, might be a chime or a fishing bell, I forget. As soon as I opened the door, 4 people (3 work there) looked up and just stared at me. With a smile,I told them all hello and Happy New Year, and they all just stared (more like glared) and did not say one word. No welcome, no hello, no HNY...nothing but blank stares. Then they go about talking to each other. Gee, a paying customer..lets ignore him.

I only grabbed a couple of small things because I needed it, but I'll spend my hard earned money elsewhere. I*'ll be visiting the other shop to stock up when their inventory is done. 8)

Rant off......

deepkona
Big Time Poster
Big Time Poster

Re: Customer Service IS Important!

Post by deepkona » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:25 am

Aloha island driver,
I agree, customer service in this day and age when the competition is keener due to online purchase accessibility allowing more mainland based companies to conduct business in the isles, "top on the list"!
I've had that blank stare from local supply shops, not just fishing related, all facets.
You tend to shy away from these guys and frequent the ones that offer you a smile and service. Then you build up relationships with the ones you tend to like going too and all is good....unless it is inventory time...LOL!
Mahalos,

urusaibob
Member 25+
Member 25+

Post by urusaibob » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:07 pm

its funny because everyone probably knows which stores your talking about and sadly its true.

island driver
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by island driver » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:43 am

I'm sure the other shop should be done with their inventory soon! 8)

01SN8K
100+ Club
100+ Club

Post by 01SN8K » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:38 pm

Your other shop reopened today lol. As for the bad service, hhhmmm. Only one place comes to mind that has a chime. If its the one I am thinking of, then I don't get why there should be 3 people up front if only one particular person does all the work. The other two are useless in my opinion.

reefmonsta
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by reefmonsta » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:21 pm

Heres my rant…

Went to fishing shop here in town with every intention to buy a new spinner reel that I wanted to test out. This WAS my go to place for all my fishing gear that I bought on island and have spent a good chunk of money over the years as well as recommended every one to go there. I walk in and say hi like I normally do and ask the worker for the reel I want. He pulls the reel from under the glass and hands it to me. I play with it, spin it, inspect it, hold it, fall in love with it, everything you do before you drop a couple hundred bucks on a reel you don’t really need. The owner walks up and sees me playing with the reel and here is how it goes:

Owner: Are you gonna buy that reel?
Me: I am trying not to (I say jokingly as I smile knowing I am going to buy it)
Owner: When will you know?
Me: Do you want it back? (I offer the reel toward the owner)
Owner takes the reel, puts it back under the glass and walks away.

At that point in time, I am a little irritated. I end up NOT buying the reel and just walking out. A couple days later I tell my situation to one of the old timers and he tells me maybe the owner just having a bad day. I take that into consideration and the following weekend I go back with every intention to buy the reel.
When I get there I say hi and see a man and his son buying a rod, a reel and a small spool of line. Maybe $150 tops for that setup. They ask to get the reel spooled up and they get taken care of. Against better judgment I buy the reel and bring in a couple other reels to get spooled up with at the same time. With all the tackle I buy, the owner rings me up for a total bill of about $250. Here is what happens next:

Me: So I can get the reels spooled (keep in mind I was charged to spool them up)
Owner: Oh I don’t know, kind of busy right now.
Me: Well can you guys just do one of the reels, I’d like to test out the reel I just bought tonight. I say this as I look over at the man with his son getting their reel spooled up and no one else in the store.
Owner: Oh its kind of humbug right now, but leave your number and if we can get it done before we close I’ll give you a call. If not you can come pick up on Monday.

I go outside to my car and think about whether I should just get a refund and never spend another penny in this place again. As I sit out in my car the man and his son come out with their new setup all spooled up. I am pretty pissed off at this point in time but I try to stay positive. Keep in mind that this is early Saturday afternoon so I figure I would get a call later in the day. No call on Saturday, no call on Monday. I go in on Tuesday and my stuff is behind the counter all ready to be picked up along with my name and number on the box. Funny how no one bothered to call me up to come pick up my stuff! At this point in time I grab my gear and as I walk out I tell myself I’ll never spend another penny in this place again.

As a former small business owner as well as former manager of a small mom and pop retail chain, I would always tell my new and returning customers every time they came in that I would do my best to “earn their business”. In this bad economy that we live in , customer service IS probably the most important thing to maintain customer retention. Some people, including myself are willing to pay a couple dollars more for the same product if that level of customer service exists.
\\ Rant ends

Now heres an example of great customer service…. A couple weeks later I went to go buy some guides from another town side shop that I would go to every once in a while when I didn’t go to my former favorite shop. After purchasing the guides we went to grab something to eat and not too long later I got a facebook email. I read the email and it was from the shop I just bought the guides from telling me I left my credit card at the shop and what time they were open till so I can come pick em up. Keep in mind that I wasnt even a "friend" of the shop on facebook. He took the time to look me up and sent me the message. After we finished eating we drove up and one of the workers who was standing outside went inside and came right out and gave me my card before I could even get out of the car. Talk about customer service, this is my new favorite fishing shop.

Funny that we don’t need to say the names of these shops but I am pretty sure they are the exact same places the others are talking about.
reefmonsta
Instagram - follow @reefmonstah

kt
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by kt » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:20 am

:o Wow....just amazing how people can be sometimes.... :o

island driver
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by island driver » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:05 pm

I really don't understand why people would open up a shop/store/restaurant...etc...and they don't understand that they need customers to survive. In this day and age, it is much easier, less time consuming, no need to drive in traffic and pay for gas, cheaper, and the item is delivered to your door. Everytime a shop loses a customer, they lose much more than just one customer, but the word gets around and they potentially lose many more. It also gets themselves one step closer to losing their livlihood.

kt
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by kt » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:25 pm

island driver wrote:I really don't understand why people would open up a shop/store/restaurant...etc...and they don't understand that they need customers to survive. In this day and age, it is much easier, less time consuming, no need to drive in traffic and pay for gas, cheaper, and the item is delivered to your door. Everytime a shop loses a customer, they lose much more than just one customer, but the word gets around and they potentially lose many more. It also gets themselves one step closer to losing their livlihood.
Unfortunately, not all humans think like that. Thats why we have what some people refer to as "A-holes" in the community.

Just amazing.... :roll:

Kyle K
Member 50+
Member 50+

Post by Kyle K » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:24 pm

Must be the way I look or something, but I have had both good and bad experiences in just about every fishing store I've been in. I spend a decent amount of money in these stores, and I do think that the sales staff/owners know it, but occasionally it seems like they don't want to sell me anything. It's not just one store, but all of them. Usually I more or less like to be left alone rather than have someone hovering over me, but when they're too busy shooting the breeze with their friends to help when it's obvious I'm interested in something - well, that's when I leave. I haven't blackballed any store yet, basically because local prices of fishing gear are pretty good in most shops in Honolulu. One good thing about lousy service - I don't know about the rest of you, but sometimes I just buy something on a whim, an impulse purchase if you will. Poor service gives me a chance to rethink and usually I end up not wasting my money.

f8ldzz
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by f8ldzz » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:39 pm

island driver wrote:I really don't understand why people would open up a shop/store/restaurant...etc...and they don't understand that they need customers to survive. In this day and age, it is much easier, less time consuming, no need to drive in traffic and pay for gas, cheaper, and the item is delivered to your door. Everytime a shop loses a customer, they lose much more than just one customer, but the word gets around and they potentially lose many more. It also gets themselves one step closer to losing their livlihood.
You'd this this is automatic, but it isn't...

That's why this is called "reality"; "reality" doesn't always make sense.

I've seen people open up businesses:
* Cause they have extra money and don't know what to do
* With no clue
* Cause they have nothing else to do
* That's connected with something illegal.
Yes, almost all of the time these businesses fail spectacularly, but it doesn't prevent people from trying.
Some manage to run for years...amazingly.
Call it luck - it sure ain't skill - but some things defy logic.

It's like management...
You'd think some things are COMMON SENSE, but in life, nothing is guaranteed.
Bill Gates dropped out of college; why do we even bother getting a college degree then???

In the end, I haven't gotten a consistently high level of customer service from any of the fishing supply stores in Hawaii - this includes Kauai, Maui, and Big Island - note, this does not include ALL fishing supply stores on those islands.
And I'm not the type of keep banging my head against the wall till I bleed...
I give credit to reefmonsta for dropping that kinda coin and trying - I would've walked out without dropping a single penny.
This is where - luckily - we have catalogs and online...
I tell you what...I get some of the BEST service from these online fishing supply businesses!
For example, Capt. Kevin from Get Bit http://www.getbitoutdoors.com/ has taken care of me even when *I* messed up my own order.
Their prices are competitive with some of the more well-known shops like Acid Rod, Mud Hole, and even the big box stores like Bass Pro Shop and Cabelas.
I've mentioned these guys before, and others have tried them with good experiences.

It's too bad that the local shops can't do customer service like this...
*sigh*