And yet another fishing spot spoiled by lay netters

Moderators: primo808, bluefinmod, 96743

SIK+KASTA
Member 50+
Member 50+

And yet another fishing spot spoiled by lay netters

Post by SIK+KASTA » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:13 am

This past weekend I went to one of my favorite spots to fish in Iriquois Point. For a long time fishing was banned in there because of 9-11. Now they recently opened areas on the beach to fish. Its about 200 feet in between the signs of the fishing areas. But here comes the sad part about this. A group of guys with four rubber tubes laid their nets in two of the fishing areas. It looked as if they also wanted to lay net in the area that I was. I watched as they dropped their net right at the shoreline and making their way out. :evil: The last time I remember this was when Barbers Point was open to the public. Now look at Barbers....Is Iriquois going to be the same??? These are the guys that are ruining all of our fishing grounds. Also they didnt even check their nets until the morning. Check every two hours and move on the fourth. Follow the rules. Prime example give an inch take a mile. So sorry guys for venting but we gotta stick together in banning the lay nets.
TEAM KAST WAY PAST FISHING CLUB

island driver
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by island driver » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:57 pm

yeah, I hate netters too! They catch everything, and pretty much rape the whole area. I went to Barber's today and caught only one small Puhi, thats it. When I was sitting on my chair, reading the morning paper, I get a call from a friend. I told her I had the day off and was fishing at Barber's. She said that they went netting at Barber's this past weekend and her husband could not get a net out, so they left it on the reef. So sad. No wonder no mo fish.
Sik-I feel your pain bro' 8)

fisherman
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by fisherman » Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:12 pm

Game Warden - 587-0077 Give them as much info as you can. Just be like me, call um as soon as you see um go in the water. Tell um the net was in the water for 4 hours already. Just keep on calling, ask for the guys name who answered the phone and keep your own records.

Get one big trolling hook. Sharpen the inside to it's like a knife. Throw um outside the net and start yanking when you hit the net. Yank at an angle.

808shorecaster
200+ Club
200+ Club

Post by 808shorecaster » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:46 pm

I'm not defending netters, but if done correctly and with restraint and good judgement nets can be used without having a significant impact on the fishing resources, however there is more bad than good use of nets, guys who leave their nets out overnight and don't check them, those who don't bother to remove their nets completely from the reef (like when they get stuck) those who hit an area for a week straight and take everything, but like fisherman said only thing can do is call DOCARE and cross your fingers and hope and pray that they come, most times they don't so no wonder there isn't much faith in the people who are supposed to protect the resource. Heck I bet if you tell them that there is a monk seal or sea turtle entangled and about to die you'd get a faster and speedier response time. Who knows so sad.

OiOiOi
Member 25+
Member 25+

Post by OiOiOi » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:25 pm

Damn that's frickin' bummers, dude. All my friends and I have never ever been fans of any form of lay netting, and to be totally honest, if I was there when this incident happened I would've cut that net up just like Fisherman said. Since purchasing my very first ulua pole this past May, Iroquois had kinda sorta become my \"dream spot\" for catching my first ulua since the area seemed to be hardly fished in recent years. But after reading this, I guess that's not the case anymore. :cry:

WARNING
Member 25+
Member 25+

Post by WARNING » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:13 am

Aloha all,
Sorry to Hi-jack this thread.

I haven't fished at IP for a while, used to be great action there, but can the general public fish there now?

I have fond memories of that place, that's where I learned to cast (on that old concrete pier, where your lead don't get stuck). Caught my first fish there. fought some monster tiger and hammer head sharks. Dunked and slid some bait. Fell asleep (with peace) and woke up and no one stole your pole. (give me a minute, okay back to the present)

I used to have an Ewa Beach comm assoc, pass---way back when and fished there a lot in the 90's (geez sound so long ago); military access was no prob, because my brother in the navy ( he probably joined to fish in Kaneohe and Iroqouis, but bummed out ofter the government closed down some of the spots). We tried to go in several times during the past 2 years (bro went to go get gas at the mini mart) but the guards at the gate said that you got to fish with a resident of the housing.

Hopefully I can fish there again, and if those guys doing some \"illegal\" stuff, will definetly do something (within my jurisdiction, of course).
\"I LIKE SEE!\"