VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Check this out

Post by fisherman » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:25 am

lawaia808
Mega poster
Mega poster

Post by lawaia808 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:04 pm

so that means maui will have nets banned all together? lucky them!

what about waianae? i see most of the nets out there.

sounds like a good start, when are we gonna get them banned throughout the islands?

Brian F.
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by Brian F. » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:02 am

Aside from the proposed net regs, here's something else people may not have realized. DLNR went through all those public hearings/meetings to gather input on the net situation. A gillnet task force was put together with representatives of all types of fishing activities. Through all of that, area closures, such as the ones proposed, were never mentioned at all as one of the \"tools\".

People that worked hard on the task force making the recommendations were furious that DLNR representatives told the Land Board that all of the new proposed regs, including the area enclosures, came from public input. That is simply not true at worst and inaccurate at best as pointed out above.

This simply appears to be one way that DLNR, Peter Young and Gov. Lingle are trying to push forward the area closure movement. Very sneaky. Today ban netting from one area and tomorrow.....do the same to other types of fishing?

This is a very complicated situation because on the surface, everyone agrees misuse of nets is a very big problem. Yet, those you help get rid of one type of fishing will thank you and no sooner look at you as the next target.

The best thing about that hearing came towards the end. Rep. Cynthia Thielen, after listening to all of the testimony for and against the proposed regs turned to DLNR representatives and asked them if they had talked to the fishermen. \"Yes, we have our fishermen that we talk to\" was the DLNR reply and to that, Rep. Thielen responded with \"Well, you obviously didn't talk to these guys! I want you to take down these guys names and numbers and, next time, talk to them too.\"
Aloha,
Brian F.

"No House, No Fish"
"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"
http://fishtoday.org (the views expressed above are my own and do not specifically represent that of PIFG)

Kalai-1021
Member 50+
Member 50+

lay nets

Post by Kalai-1021 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:28 pm

ban all lay nets. The last 7 times i went fishing had nets in the water all night long and the last time i went fish some guys went lay net right next to me even though they saw my pole in the water. BAN ALL LAY NET PLEASE

Kalai-1021
Member 50+
Member 50+

lay nets

Post by Kalai-1021 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:29 pm

ban all lay nets. The last 7 times i went fishing had nets in the water all night long and the last time i went fish some guys went lay net right next to me even though they saw my pole in the water. BAN ALL LAY NET PLEASE

Palolo Fisherman
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by Palolo Fisherman » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:42 pm

I think we should all realize that area closures and gear restrictions will be implemented at some point in the future. Instead of fighting every proposal suggested by the DLNR, we should be willing to help with some the more reasonable suggestions. Closing some areas to gill nets is a start. Maybe even just a seasonal closure of some areas during the closed moi and mullet seasons. Makes no sense to allow nets during the times when these fish are at its most vulnerable stage to overharvesting by nets. Even if caught by accident, a net can easily destroy a large school of these fish just before they lay their eggs. To expect a netter to release hundreds of fish alive is not only unreasonable but impossible. But if we don't do something soon, all fishing will be closed during the moi and mullet seasons. The federal goverment (NOAA. Westpac) has threatened in the past to take over manangement of our reef resources. They will do it if we keep proving we canot manage it on our own.

hookedup

Post by hookedup » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:50 pm

Brian F. wrote: The best thing about that hearing came towards the end. Rep. Cynthia Thielen, after listening to all of the testimony for and against the proposed regs turned to DLNR representatives and asked them if they had talked to the fishermen. "Yes, we have our fishermen that we talk to" was the DLNR reply and to that, Rep. Thielen responded with "Well, you obviously didn't talk to these guys! I want you to take down these guys names and numbers and, next time, talk to them too."
that was great!! i am so glad i voted for her!!