reporting law breakers to dlnr

Moderators: primo808, 96743, bluefinmod

Shaun
Member 25+
Member 25+

reporting law breakers to dlnr

Post by Shaun » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:02 pm

Is there a email address or website where we can report law breakers? One of my favorite spots is being regularly lay netted over night at least every weekend by the same guy. Witnessed em two fridays in a row. No consideration for the guy who was fishing before they came. they lay the net anyway then dig out. Its at night so if they are still doing this regularly i like set up one sting with dlnr. Maybe can catch em the next morning. I was wonderin how come my catch rate was sucking from previous years. get moi inshore at this spot to, so i know he goin have illegal moi stuck in his net which is probably what he goin for. needless to say i never have a single strike, ding ding or nuttin that night. makes me sick.

Oldhaole
100+ Club
100+ Club

Post by Oldhaole » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:31 am

DLNR never shows up! just swim out and shred their ****** net, that is what I'm gonna' start doing! :evil: :evil: :twisted: :twisted:

uluabusta
Member 25+
Member 25+

Post by uluabusta » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:13 am

Funny how the DLNR guys show up to bother families or guys on a weekend fishing/camping outing but never bother the obvious homeless guys or they will stop and check the catch of spearfishermen (even when the catch is obviouslly legal sized) yet turn their heads on the group of guys trying to stash huge lay nets with obvious illegal catch or the guys throwing small eye nets to catch sardines and oama. Seems like they only target the easier to deal with people and not the true criminals.

The guys in Waianae recently harassed my friend's family for camping and fishing because they had an EZ corner set up and several lanterns hanging. Even with the small kids sitting around they were told that they had to take everything down by sundown (and notr use the lanterns) or they would be cited. These DLNR guys then drove past ALL the homeless camps without stopping to say anything. The next day the homeless camps were still up while my friend and his group of law abiding citizen friends had slept in the dark and in the open without the EZ corner tent. In my opinion the DLNR are a bunch of no balls, poor descretion, selective enforcement assholes.

biologist
100+ Club
100+ Club

Post by biologist » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:12 pm

Shaun,

Just keep calling, leaving as much info as you can. Pics and vid would help too but don't get into a confrontation, it's not worth getting hurt. Number is 587-0077. I see stuff like that and I just keep reporting. I know it's frustrating but sooner or later....

aloha

mbg60
Super Poster
Super Poster

Post by mbg60 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:34 pm

one thing I learned from attending the proposed lay net regulation meeting is that the DLNR enforcement officers need help. 35 officers to cover our island 3 miles out and the entire mass. Some guys take vacation, some are sick, etc. They can't be everywhere. Also when busts are made, offenders, even repeat ones, are given minimum fines-$25 for 20 undersized moi as an example. One laynetter had 300 omilus in his possesion, non commercial, 30+ were undersized, and he was let off, NO FINE. NODDA. What's up with that. Plus these officers have to tangle with the ice epidemic- what are these offenders doing with their catch? Feeding their habit. Lets hope they get more officers and a judiciary that supports their efforts-not undermine it. If anyone wants to they can make a citizens arrest, call the cops ahead of time. I wouldn't want to tangle with some of these guys. One guy started yelling at me and waved a machete \"Get away from my nets.\" I can avoid a machete, don't know if I can avoid if it's raining lead.
Mark

papiomasta
100+ Club
100+ Club

Post by papiomasta » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:01 pm

we should just take down there license plate numbers and report them..............just watch them and follow them to their cars.......i think this will solve the problems

tleafboy
100+ Club
100+ Club

Post by tleafboy » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:38 pm

Would the cops be able to detain these guys until dlnr shows up??? I suppose if the dude was threating you with a machete or a gun, definitely call the cops. But then I wonder if they would be able to just stop and hold the dude until dlnr shows up even if he weren't threating you. Might not seem like a big crime to cops, but it's definitely a big deal to all the guys fishing in that area legally.

Brian F.
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by Brian F. » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:03 pm

tleafboy wrote:... Might not seem like a big crime to cops, but it's definitely a big deal to all the guys fishing in that area legally.
It's a big deal to every law abiding person in this state! I think there was discussion here that said HPD will cooperate and detain someone on suspicion of breaking fish and game laws.
Aloha,
Brian F.

"No House, No Fish"
"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"
http://fishtoday.org (the views expressed above are my own and do not specifically represent that of PIFG)