Koolina lay netters

Moderators: primo808, bluefinmod, 96743

Koolina lay netters

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:34 pm

Just went fishing today at Koolina and saw a group of micronesian looking guys swim out and set a whole mess load of nets about 50 yards out from shore. They left the nets, went spearfishing, came back in to eat and rest then went back for the nets after it had been out for almost 6 hours. The net had what looked like several hundred small fish, and a bunch of omilus and uhus. They people on the beach were watching these guys and someone mentioned that these guys hav been doing this weekly.

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:43 am

thats messed up!

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:45 am

if you see um again call dlnr right away. if was me i would go up and tell um straight..its all these foreigners coming in and messing up waters. we gotta do something before things get too out of hand

Nic Barca
Mega poster
Mega poster

Post by Nic Barca » Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:39 pm

If they have been doing it weekly, then call dlnr and bust them.
Nic

tim

Post by tim » Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:44 pm

where at in koolina

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:41 am

Called the DLNR but was told that they are presently too busy enforcing \"camping\" rules. They will be kicking out fishermen and / or families \"camping\" overnight with E-Z corner tents or cabin tents set up. What a crock of ****, those guys are useless as they don't use common sense when enforcing the law. They should kick out the obvious squaters and enforce the fish and game laws but they have to pick on the innocent ones that usually not going fight back or give them a hard time. DLNR should stand for \"Doing Little or Nothing but Relaxing\".

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 05, 2004 6:07 pm

yeah i heard that the micronesians starting to become a problem too. most of them pai pai with nets with tiny tiny eye. my friend said he seen some of them taking 10 five gallon buckets full of baby mullet this one time. i forget where he said it was, but he called dlnr too and they took 3 hours to show up and by then the micronesians had left.

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:21 am

I think DNLR stands for DUMB LAZY & LATE RESPONDING. Always one step behind, and harrasing the wrong people.

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:23 am

I think you ment DO NOTHING LATE RESPONDING!!!

oahu boy
Member 50+
Member 50+

Post by oahu boy » Tue May 31, 2005 3:21 pm

they really ned to enforce the rules bumbai going be no more fish

kidpounda808
100+ Club
100+ Club

Post by kidpounda808 » Tue May 31, 2005 6:33 pm

this weekend i went fishing and i seen a guy go to lay his nets. he checked it in four hours and i was happy that he followed the rules but he had five to eight inch papios in there and a couple moi lii that were about the same length. it was very sickenoing thinking how big the fish could get and how little meat the fish would yield. does that mean that the mesh size of the net is illegal sized?

Palolo Fisherman
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by Palolo Fisherman » Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:52 am

oahu boy wrote:they really ned to enforce the rules bumbai going be no more fish
At some places, it's already past bumbai.

okabs

Post by okabs » Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:09 pm

horrible. I am often amazed how a few rotten apples like this gives the whole fishing & diving community a bad name. We can only educate those around us to be responsible outdoors men and follow the rules ourselves...those guys will get whats coming to them sooner or later. For everyone on oahu, you can call DOCARE's hotline at 587-0077 to report any offenses. What we as citizens can do is get a camera and take pictures or film the offense & offenders. Try to get identifying evidence such as license plates and such.

To everyone else, you all claim that DLNR is good for nothing & lazy, however they are doing the best they can. Funding for the department is seriously undercut and they simply do not have the money to get the manpower they require to watch over all the resources. If you all want to affect change, lobby and contact your state representatives to enact change instead of sitting around and blaming DLNR for everything.