The other nights News story

Moderators: primo808, 96743, bluefinmod

dapir8
Member 50+
Member 50+

The other nights News story

Post by dapir8 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:29 pm

I realize this belongs in the Lay net category, but we should all be paying attention.

Juvenile Monk Seal, well publicized, found dead tangled in a Fisherman's Lay Net off Waimanalo. Was on KGMB News last night. Your thoughts?

Troublesome.

dapir8
Member 50+
Member 50+

The story

Post by dapir8 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:34 pm

http://www.kgmb.com/kgmb/display.cfm?st ... 1&sid=1183

I hope the DLNR makes it VERY clear that this is not the doing of a pole fisherman and distinguishes the differences. Maybe the DLNR was too busy harrassing fisherman to notice any bad Netting activity. :evil:

Ciguatera
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by Ciguatera » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:17 pm

yes I am upset that someone left their net for that long and even neglected to pull it up in the proper time. Very disgusting and distasteful. Now it will affect us even more strangling the priveleges we have now... like absolutely no fishing in the area. You can all thank that person. Honestly though.... I believe in Karma. If you not gonna eat it .... why kill it. And we all know that nets kill everything out there if not properly managed. Then why do it knowing what it can do.... ahhh.

Brian F.
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Re: The story

Post by Brian F. » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:41 pm

A very unfortunate and sad thing. I understand the last time a seal died in an entanglement was twelve years ago in 1994. Hooking incidents happen more often, x-number per year, but usually not life threatening.
dapir8 wrote:...I hope the DLNR makes it VERY clear that this is not the doing of a pole fisherman and distinguishes the differences....
I am quite confident DLNR will not lift a finger to do anything in the interest of fishermen. After all, Chairman Young considers us a special interest group that is more concerned about fishing and less about preserving our resources. I'm guessing they will allow this incident to serve the purposes of the anti-fishing effort as it will only make selling the idea of knocking off one group of fishermen easier, and then it's on to the next group.
Aloha,
Brian F.

"No House, No Fish"
"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"
http://fishtoday.org (the views expressed above are my own and do not specifically represent that of PIFG)