New gillnet regulations

Moderators: primo808, bluefinmod, 96743

kumu5422
Member 50+
Member 50+

Post by kumu5422 » Wed May 16, 2007 12:22 pm

Eh, guys! :D I'm new to tgis forum and just want to say, lotsa good stuff on this site! Gonna take ma a while to read all da stuff but good discusions!

Man, I thought all my guys were against the laynetters but now I see lots of stuff on other threads like folks no want the new laynet regs. What gives wi dat? :?
Don't believe everything you read!

fisherman
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by fisherman » Thu May 17, 2007 7:43 am

Are you Peter Young?

Brian F.
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by Brian F. » Thu May 17, 2007 9:26 am

Welcome Kumu5422,
Not sure where you'd get that impression because a quick scan of the number of posts in favor of/against seems to lean pretty heavy towards in favor.

So, what kind of fishing are you interested in?
Aloha,
Brian F.

"No House, No Fish"
"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"
http://fishtoday.org (the views expressed above are my own and do not specifically represent that of PIFG)

kumu5422
Member 50+
Member 50+

Post by kumu5422 » Sat May 26, 2007 10:22 am

Nah, I'm not Peter Young. But we all betta be careful who we listen to. We gotta learn what's da truth for ourselves. Think for ourselves and make up our own minds. Dat's what my signiture's about.

AS for fishing, I spear fish mostly. But geting old so no can go so deep anymore.

Brian F.
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by Brian F. » Sat May 26, 2007 2:20 pm

That's so true. Fishermen need to remember that we, even as a large sector of the population, don't have paid \"education and outreach\" coordinators to inform fishermen and the general public, lawyers that attend public hearings to testify, etc. etc. as a regular job. .....As opposed to some very well organized and well funded groups that may have different views. :?
Aloha,
Brian F.

"No House, No Fish"
http://fishtoday.org (the views expressed above are my own and do not specifically represent that of PIFG)

kumu5422
Member 50+
Member 50+

Post by kumu5422 » Sat May 26, 2007 3:48 pm

Dat's true, but I wonda why you always poundin' on the guys who wanna work to protect our ocean? You know, I go to lota meetings and I listen. I listen to all sides and dere are lota good people, fishermen or no fishermen, who wanna help eveyone. Da reason we got da lay net rules is cuz somebody pushed for it, and I don tink it was a fisherman who started it.

Sometime it helps to work with dese folks and not just talk stink about 'em all da time. You gotta listen to all sides!

Brian F.
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by Brian F. » Sun May 27, 2007 9:01 pm

Interesting you should say that because a lot of fishermen, and non fishermen alike, have felt like we are simply being run over. We?ve been told ?they don?t vote?, ?they only want to preserve fishing?, ?they?re too stupid to follow rules?, ?they?re too stupid to catch on to the process?, etc. etc. To explain, I have to leave the gillnet issue for a little. The reason why there is such a huge distrust by the fishing community (at least it seems to me) is because several years ago, all of a sudden one January day, fishermen learned there would be some bills going through the legislature that would have a significant impact on our fishing lifestyle here in Hawaii. When we asked, what fishermen had input, they said ?Oh, we consulted our fishermen? and so we all looked around the room at each other puzzled and asked, ?Did they talk to you?? ?Nope, not me? ?Did you see anything in the Hawaii Fishing News?? ?Uh uh?. It was a done deal because everyone expected fishermen to do nothing again and these bills would sail through. But there was a little problem, some fishermen showed up at the hearings and gave testimony that said, ?Please, Senator/Representative, before you pass these bills, please consider this point of view?.

And I don?t believe I say things simply to ?hammer? anyone. If there are things about the process that don?t seem right or questions need to be asked, it seems right to point it out. I think if someone has a problem with criticism and another point of view, I?m sorry, but isn?t that part of the process of working things out? Right now, it really seems to fishermen like someone else is saying ?We all agree the solution is this, DON?T WE?? and if fishermen disagree, they are unfairly labeled as someone against protecting the environment, unwittingly doing the deeds of evil commercial fishing giants, uninformed, etc, etc?.Hardly

Fishermen have indeed listened to all sides but it was only up until recently that some legislators said, DLNR, ?you need to listen to fishermen too?. It is all too often that when it came time for fishermen to say our 2 cents, it was treated as 2 cents and only if we were lucky enough to come to the table after accidentally learning when decisions were being made.

About the gillnet rules, it sure was fishermen that started it. But, DLNR sat on and never did implement any of the changes suggested by the gillnet task force for YEARS. When one task force member demanded that DLNR explain why in a public forum, a representative of the department simply admitted that ?we dropped the ball?. The gillnet task force that recommended many of the new rules included members from many different fishing styles and representatives from the environmental community. But when some didn?t like that it was not a total ban, they walked out. Note here that they chose to leave when, on the other hand, fishermen don?t even get asked to be included in a lot of things. The only things that the gillnet task force didn?t recommend was the area closures and a set of ?special rules? for Molokai which are simmering at the moment.

It is very convenient to say that because I am critical of the process and the issue happens to be gillnets, Brian F. is for the continued ?raping of our reefs? and that is unequivocally NOT TRUE. It is also convenient to say, ?why don?t you work with people who want to help protect the ocean?? Well, contrary to what that might imply, there are a lot of fishermen (who happen to be really good people too) that feel the same way and are waiting and ready to help. The problem is, fishermen are not even invited to the party.

I go to a lot of meetings too and I listen to a whooooole lot of stuff. Next time there?s a ?meeting? please make sure to come up to me and say ?Hi? because you know my name but, unfortunately, I don?t know who you are since you use a screen name.
Aloha,
Brian F.

"No House, No Fish"

kumu5422
Member 50+
Member 50+

Post by kumu5422 » Mon May 28, 2007 6:01 pm

Listen, Brah, I COMPLETELY agree dat fishermen need to stand up and have a voice, but I don't agree when you say nobody evah asks 'em. I tole you I go to lota meetings and I stand up and have my say, and you know why? Cuz I read in da paper about da meeting and I go. Why you say nobody ask you? You need one hand writen invitation before you go? Come on, Brah, fishermen ned educate they own self. Go to da meetings, have your say and listen to both sides, not just b****.

But, I tell you dis: differant points a view are what make tis forum really good. I like hear from other folks, too, how they feel. I hope they chime in...

Hope you guys (and specilly you vets out like me) had one TERRIFIC Memorial DAy!

Brian F.
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by Brian F. » Mon May 28, 2007 7:54 pm

Yes, I whole heartedly agree that more people should do more than complain. You deserve credit for staying informed and making time to go to whatever you can and learn whatever you can. I've always encouraged others to learn how laws and your management rules are made, who influences them and how to be a part of it.

If you are interested in what others have to say, there is more than 4 years of input on this forum and using the \"search\" function is a good place to start.
Aloha,
Brian F.

"No House, No Fish"

kumu5422
Member 50+
Member 50+

Post by kumu5422 » Mon May 28, 2007 8:17 pm

Absolutely. And as I say da first time, its gonna take me a whiel to read everyting.

Good fishing to all!

Bolo I'a
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by Bolo I'a » Tue May 29, 2007 12:10 pm

rules are **** unless there is ENFORCEMENT

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/artic ... 81305.html

excuse my French...
LUCK is what happens when PREPARATION meets OPPORTUNITY
<*)))><