F**kin Lay netters

Moderators: primo808, bluefinmod, 96743

portuguesepoint
Member 25+
Member 25+

F**kin Lay netters

Post by portuguesepoint » Mon May 28, 2007 12:43 am

I was at Ilikai Boat Harbor on Sunday night and i was driving by I saw some azzholes with 1\" lay nets coming out of the water. I waited for a bit and came back to talk story and see what they caught. As I walked closer, I could see about 30 Omilu in their net. They were all about 5-10\" long. So sad to see that. No wonder south shore dont got fish. I called DLNR and they said that they'll check on it in the morning. hah. like they'll still be there in the morning. Anyway, I got their license plate, which is a 02 silver tacoma with license plate NSC 321. I heard one of the guys call his friend \"Dustin,\" who was the one driving the truck. I was riding my skateboard cuz i came back a second time and they said, \"eh, No tell Nobody or we goin scrap.\" called DLNR and they said, \"yeah, we'll check on it in the morning.

Palolo Fisherman
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by Palolo Fisherman » Mon May 28, 2007 1:38 am

Next time, try asking for the name of the person answering the phone at the DLNR office. No guarantee you will get a better response or even if the person will give you their real name. But note the time and day of your call and file a complaint about the poor response.

letumgo
Member 50+
Member 50+

netters

Post by letumgo » Wed May 30, 2007 9:05 am

take their picture, what they going do? steal your camera? if they cause any hassles, you can call the cops and they can confiscate/document illegal catch for DLNR while investigating threats or worse. pics can/should be usable as evidence for prosecution. i'm tired of loosing the bite to netting-especially illegal kine.
TAG, you're it- let um all go, particiPATE

landkumu
Member 50+
Member 50+

Post by landkumu » Wed May 30, 2007 9:29 am

Yeah, call the cops for the threat and have them contact DLNR.. guarantee HPD call they will respond. Bastards bra... tough guys ah... whole bunch threatening you as you cruise by alone. Hopefully they tangle and drown just like the fish. Sounds like a bunch of punks! Send the pictures and story to the news stations and see if they will cover any of it. It is a news story to them if you ask me.
Catch and release some, take only what you need, be safe and stop the laynet reef rapers.

TheDirtyHarryKojima
200+ Club
200+ Club

Post by TheDirtyHarryKojima » Wed May 30, 2007 11:48 am

DLNR. Rules cannot only be useful when enforced. Can someone tell me how they can enforce anything if they are goin to check it out in the morning. ???

I've said it before. I would be down to pay for a fishing license/permit if it meant that the proceeds would directly impact educating and ENFORCEMENT.

TDHK
http://www.hawaiimusicsupply.com/ NEW STORE IN WAHIWA 70 KUKUI ST. Across Zippys
Ukes, Guitars, Amps, Drums, PAs, Recording Studio etc.We make Ko'olau ukuleles and guitars.

landkumu
Member 50+
Member 50+

Post by landkumu » Wed May 30, 2007 1:47 pm

Oh AMEN to that bruddah!

Charge me a reasonable amount for a fishing license just like all the other states in this country so that there are funds to enforce and educate. I mean I don't want to pay some absurd amount but $50/year maybe. EH guys...think about this too. Other states have a local license fee and an out of state fishing license fee. Hawaii should have a Kama'aina rate license and an out of state license. In addition to more funds available for Enforcement and Education from local licenses, it would bring in more money from out of state to support the program. Think of all the fishing charters and experimenting travelers. They would have to purchase 3 day, 7 day or 1 month licenses which would all be sources of revenue. Isn't that optimal if we can bring in a whole bunch of money from elsewhere for improvements in our fishery locally! I know there will be opposition from some native Hawaiian groups but maybe a compromise can be reached such as discounts if you have blood and can prove it. They should keep a record of everyone's license number just like a traffic abstract and increase penalties with additional violoations.
Catch and release some, take only what you need, be safe and stop the laynet reef rapers.

Brian F.
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by Brian F. » Wed May 30, 2007 2:00 pm

Aloha,
Brian F.

"No House, No Fish"
"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"
http://fishtoday.org (the views expressed above are my own and do not specifically represent that of PIFG)

landkumu
Member 50+
Member 50+

Post by landkumu » Wed May 30, 2007 2:30 pm

Oh previously discussed I see. Good stuff.

Anyone ever see that show on Discovery or TLC about that big Haole game warden and all of his career experiences. He narrates the experiences too. Crazy guy. He is like Super Game Warden. We need guys like him here! The guy was fearless... diving at night, confronting the mafia, taking on groups of guys solo.

fisherman
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by fisherman » Thu May 31, 2007 7:21 am

\"Super Game Warden\"
Sounds like a plan. Just like that prison in Arizona with that psycho Sherriff. We need to follow examples that work.

kohala-boy
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by kohala-boy » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:50 pm

hey guys, im working in alaska this summer on a fishing boat deckhanding, the system they have over here is really enforced!

they limit how many fish you can catch, and out of staters can only keep 4 king salmon per year, and one per day..

the prices for these licences are huge, but the enforcemnt is there, its really cool. when u get off the dock there is someone there to look in ur fish boxes and coolers, to see if u have kept legal fish or not, everything is recorded and logged ...

the fish stocks here in sitka is amazing, theres big schools of salmon everywhere.... :D

hopefully hawaii would consider this option since it has seemed to balance out earlier years of over fishing, and revitalized the fish stocks here in alaska

anyway, im freezing up here
aloha
spencer :wink:

Pupule
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by Pupule » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:31 pm

That's cool, Spencer. What a terrific way to spend the summer. Wish I had done that during my college days, when I had the energy and the stamina to handle that sort of job.

Alaska has it right when it comes to enforcement of bag limits and legal fishing methods, as does Florida. Those states are willing to spend money to protect the fish stocks. Hawaii does it the cheap way, by shutting down fishing areas. Each year I cut a check to pay off my state taxes and wonder where the heck that money is going. If only I were king for a day...

HA'AKOA
200+ Club
200+ Club

Post by HA'AKOA » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:58 am

Well,well well, it seems the friendly neighborhood akule Joe is at it again. Dis time I was fishing between 2nd and 3rd dips down Yokes. Got there about 3:15 pm and had my poles in the water by 3:40. 4:00pm rolls around and so does akule Joe and his gang. Airplane circling above, they spock the akule pile, and the rowboat guys start dropping their nets exactly around my lines like a U :evil: :evil: :evil: No common courtesy at all. They seen me fishing there, then these guys get the guts to tell me for no cast :twisted: :evil: If I wasn't a Christian I don't know what I would have done...actually I do. I would bomb them guys with 12oz. wire lead cuz they was like 60-70 yards from shore :evil: . Anyway somebody called the DLNR I think was the lifeguards, and they showed up!!! Two of them!!! :o They was watching these guys like a hawk because of the monk seal incident the other day. They were pretty cool the wardens, but they said that those guys wasn't breaking no laws.
On top of that they said one guy caught one 58#ulua the week before at 3rd dip :o Most Waianae fishermen know these clowns that circle the pile akule. I not mentioning any names but these guys rape the ocean of everything all the time. I heard these guys got shot at before but I guess that neva stop them cuz they just keep going and going. Well anyway just venting cuz I neva catch notten. :cry:

Brian F.
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by Brian F. » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:47 pm

Ha?akoa,

I have some information for you that I hope will help the situation and maybe others in the future if they encounter the same thing. But I understand the frustration shoreline fishermen feel, as I do as one myself, and would understand if this does not help. First off, let me say that I have not been in your situation of encountering a commercial fisherman but have encountered weekend laynetters. I do happen to know the fishermen you were talking about and asked him about what you were describing primarily because most fishermen he and his crew come across don?t get to talk about things and bad feelings result.

First off is that he is not Akule Joe but often mistaken for him because this fisherman and a few others use spotter planes also. He is well known and, in my opinion, a well respected fisherman who has been commercially fishing the Waianae Coast for 40 years. As for him raping the ocean as a netter, please consider this. He tells me they have been able to target only akule this year and catch enough to live on. Although I?d imagine there are other fish that come up unintentionally (maybe even papio, ulua and other predators of the akule), it is not what they are targeting and they try to be very careful. They don?t surround ulua or oio schools because there is no market for them due to ciguatera and the schools of oio actually help them catch akule more efficiently (hint hint to shorecasters). I don?t know what else he targets when akule are not around but I know weke are often surrounded by other commercial guys. He is also very well aware of market influences and that it makes no sense to take more than what the market will sell. So many times he intentionally lets more than he catches.

The enforcement officer could not cite him for anything because he and his crew are very conscientious about what they do, including not bringing up coral and other marine life. Unlike a typical lay gillnetter, they are in the water when their nets are in the water. Their livelihood depends on it and they are counting on continuing to do it. That is why you may be interested to know that this fisherman has been out there in the front fighting for and against the very same things shoreline fishermen have been fighting for and against, except that he has been doing it for 10 years longer. He has seen first hand at how the growing population and user conflicts are pushing out fishermen, commercial and recreational alike.

He relayed his apologies to you, Ha?akoa, and wished that more could understand what he is going through. He has to fit between and share the Ocean with dive boats, tour boats, jet skies, swimmers, divers, kayakers, snorkelers, surfers, recreational boaters, movie productions, and the second most are shoreline casters that sometimes stay for as much as three days. If the fish( akule) are anywhere near fishermen they wait till the fish move or they usually oar in and ask if they can surround there. That day the shore break and swells were too big for him to do that and in addition, they had engine problems. And although they wanted to show a gesture of appreciation, that also prevented them from bringing in a bag of fish to you. (free bait :lol: )

I know there are those that feel commercial netting is to blame for good and bad years of pole and line akule/halalu but this fishermen uses 2 ?? eye nets for only the larger akule. Also, consider that the akule fishery is one of only two or three studied by the State and Feds because of it?s popularity with people that like to eat fish and it has been determined that it is one of the healthiest, hence the continuation of the fishery. I?m not saying illegal, indiscriminate practices do not go on but to say this fishermen is doing that is unfair, in my opinion. Also consider that on the best day, they are typically only able to catch 20% of a school at the most. While they did complete a surround to your right, that day they were only able to catch 8% because they refrained from closing the rest of the net in front of you in order to stay away from your zone. Although it probably seemed like forever and the day ruined for you, consider also that he was done within an hour and there was still akule left to attract whatever big game you were after.

Not to put you on the spot but I?m just trying to demonstrate that saying things about this fisherman and grouping everyone together is much along the same lines as people using what some consider a racially stereotypical term (if you recall :wink: ). Also, in another post just the other day, you mention you?ve used akule for bait and I know many of the restaurants I go to serve fried akule. If you did not catch your bait and bought it from the store, this akule fisherman might have supplied it (unless you knew you bought hooked akule). If the surround net akule fishery disappeared, many unable to get them on their own could not afford to use them as their favorite bait nor enjoy a traditional local fish meal.

He says maybe you?re thinking of someone else because he?s never been shot at but has had a sinker land 20 yards away when a caster?s leadline cut. Didn?t say whether it had wire :lol: . He swam in to discuss it with a lifeguard and the fisherman but the caster had already packed up and left.

I am writing this not so much to defend this akule fisherman, although I have come to call him my friend, but I was hoping to show you and others a different perspective to avoid more conflict. If this does not come across that way, I can only say that was my intent because if we can?t resolve things ourselves by communicating, there will be other remedies imposed by non-fishermen that may be harder for all fishermen to swallow.
Aloha,
Brian F.

"No House, No Fish"
http://fishtoday.org (the views expressed above are my own and do not specifically represent that of PIFG)

Brian F.
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by Brian F. » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:57 pm

(continued)

in order to stay away from your zone. Although it probably seemed like forever and the day ruined for you, consider also that he was done within an hour and there was still akule left to attract whatever big game you were after.

Not to put you on the spot but I?m just trying to demonstrate that saying things about this fisherman and grouping everyone together is much along the same lines as people using what some consider a racially stereotypical term (if you recall :wink: ). Also, in another post just the other day, you mention you?ve used akule for bait and I know many of the restaurants I go to serve fried akule. If you did not catch your bait and bought it from the store, this akule fisherman might have supplied it (unless you knew you bought hooked akule). If the surround net akule fishery disappeared, many unable to get them on their own could not afford to use them as their favorite bait nor enjoy a traditional local fish meal.

He says maybe you?re thinking of someone else because he?s never been shot at but has had a sinker land 20 yards away when a caster?s leadline cut. Didn?t say whether it had wire :lol: . He swam in to discuss it with a lifeguard and the fisherman but the caster had already packed up and left.

I am writing this not so much to defend this akule fisherman, although I have come to call him my friend, but I was hoping to show you and others a different perspective to avoid more conflict. If this does not come across that way, I can only say that was my intent because if we can?t resolve things ourselves by communicating, there will be other remedies imposed by non-fishermen that may be harder for all fishermen to swallow.
Aloha,
Brian F.

"No House, No Fish"

HA'AKOA
200+ Club
200+ Club

Post by HA'AKOA » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:50 pm

I gotta hand it to you Mr.Funai, you are every bit the diplomat of all things fish. Yes you're right about that fisherman, he isn't akule Joe :oops: I talked to someone and they said that wasn't him. I just assumed he was cuz the blue boat and plane, and cuz all my friends said that was him. Shows how much my friends know. I guess I owe an apology to your friend. I couldn't tell at the time but I didn't know he didn't completely close the net on my behalf. It just looked bad from my perpective cuz out of the whole ocean to catch fish, the akule pile, I guess, was in front of my lines and they just laid the nets. Yes the whole operation wasn't that long, but like you said it felt like forever cuz it was prime time and I had a small strike just before they came. I know we all gotta make a living, and I feel for him that he has to deal with the market fluctuations and recreational beachgoers, and other boaters. I just felt the frustration levels rising as I continue my quest for the hundred pounder. 8)