lobster nets

Moderators: primo808, 96743, bluefinmod

fishyfishy
Mega poster
Mega poster

Post by fishyfishy » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:48 am

That's true Palolo, but I think it's safe to assume that in some places, the bottomfish grounds can be right outside a kona crab grounds.....or maybe that Brian's friend wants to go out for bottomfish for sashimi during new years and wanted to add some raw crab poke to the meal.?....problem is there are many scenarios and this slip up by DAR is somewhat understandable....as long as they fix it one day...
"No Resource, No Fisherman"
A post by Darrell Tanaka

Brian F.
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by Brian F. » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:15 am

fishyfishy wrote:.....or maybe that Brian's friend wants to go out for bottomfish for sashimi during new years and wanted to add some raw crab poke to the meal?...
Sorry for the confusion but, yes, that's what they like to do: troll out, bottomfish, move and troll, crab, troll on the way back in. As the reg is written now, they would have to make separate trips because of the way "net" is interpreted.
.....should get clarification from both DAR and DOCARE,
Ah, now that's the tricky part, Fishy.
Aloha,
Brian F.

"No House, No Fish"
"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"
http://fishtoday.org (the views expressed above are my own and do not specifically represent that of PIFG)

Makule

Re: lobster nets

Post by Makule » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:36 pm

This is an old thread but something that I'm interested in. What is the current interpretation of the rules? Are lobster nets included in the definition of lay nets? The last I heard, they were not.

In specific response to the question posed as to whether lobster nets catch fish, the answer is a definite yes. Enenui (and sometimes palani) are caught in lobster nets because of their very wide bodies. Most of the time, the fish are caught close to the bottom of the net, rather than on the top.