"It's time to ban using lay gill nets in Islands"

Moderators: primo808, bluefinmod, 96743

limu
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

"It's time to ban using lay gill nets in Islands"

Post by limu » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:43 pm

I read this article on the Editorials section of the Honolulu Advertiser today.
How long will it take for the state to react to the public's out cry to ban lay gill nets.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/ ... 8/-1/RSS01

Check out some of the reactions from the readers on the bottom of the page. Some people are considering lay net season as a compromise. One person brought up a good point on traditional vs. today’s monofilament lay nets. Where do you stand? Total ban or seasonal? If it's tradition that's keeping a total ban then why not use traditional materials as well. At least it will not keep on killing even after it's abandoned.

fishyfishy
Mega poster
Mega poster

Re: "It's time to ban using lay gill nets in Islands"

Post by fishyfishy » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:09 am

The chance for a complete ban on all islands has come and gone. The best thing anyone can do right now is make it so that ALL nets are registered, whether laying or surrounding, that type of net should be all registered, that will help prevent abuse and make enforcement easier. The surround net fishermen will benefit from this because they won't be lumped into the same category as abusers, some surround net fishermen already label their own nets.
"No Resource, No Fisherman"
A post by Darrell Tanaka

AhiBelly
Big Time Poster
Big Time Poster

Post by AhiBelly » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:37 am

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/ ... /808290380

this article is from this morning's advertiser. they mentioned only baby sharks getting caught but given the estimated duration all the fish that was stuck could've been eaten by the time they spotted the net. i just don't know what to say anymore... how many more incidents like this will it take. docare can't be on the lookout 24/7 and in most cases the damage is done by the time we fishers report a violation... i dunno man, i just don't know :evil:
"The solution to any problem - work, love, money, whatever - is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be."

— John Gierach

BaitKasta
Big Time Poster
Big Time Poster

Post by BaitKasta » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:30 am

fishyfishy - Has the laynet ban on Maui made fishing from the shoreline more productive? My unscientific opinion is that the laynet ban in Kaneohe Bay has made the fishing in the bay better.
Aloha, Baitkasta

Bcspy
Member 25+
Member 25+

Post by Bcspy » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:47 pm

Thanks you DLNR for citing and taken the illegal lay net away today at Kalaeloa.

limu
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by limu » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:05 am

This past Saturday we were fishing a spot that was close to a monk seal's home. Late that after noon at about 5pm, 5 men laid a gill net(s) across the path to the monk seals home. They dropped the net and picked it up in less than two hours so as far as the law is concerned they were following the rules.
Now imagine if the monk seal went home around that time. It would've been a different story. There are warning signs all along the shoreline and still these men went about laying their gill net. In the past, I've observed this monk seal swim out early in the morning and come back late in the afternoon, but for some reason this past weekend, it decided to stay near around it's home. Thankfully it didn't come across these lay netters and of course I had my phone on hand just in case.
With gill nets, even when the rules are followed, all it takes is for some one who has no common sense to do harm with this method.