An example of why to ban nets

Moderators: primo808, 96743, bluefinmod

VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Re: An example of why to ban nets

Post by 44808 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:45 am

Brian F. wrote:Good post, Radonboats. There are people who know how to use a net and those that don't and there are those that use it the right way and those that abuse things - just like gun, car, etc. With a net, a good and knowledgable fishermen does NOT just leave it overnight and forget about it (but obviously some forget that and so DLNR had to make new rules). Good guys have a target, they know when and where to use it and they don't do it repeatedly in the same place. Unfortunately, everyone groups net fishermen together as the one bad thing and the problem is amplified by certain groups using their money and influence to jade public opinion. But the real shame, as you noted, is the ignorance of those that never used a net or don't know anything about that style of fishing.

Thanks for understanding Brian. :)
Rippin' lips

like4pokesquid
200+ Club
200+ Club

Post by like4pokesquid » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:21 am

just a question, I know that some laynetters, laying net is a liveyhood. would it make a difference if say instead of laying the net across the beach parallel to the shoreline but instead laying it straight out to leave some room for us fisherman would it make a difference in your catch. just a though. :D
"not enough time in the day"
"fish heads, fish heads, rolley polley fish head, fish heads, fish heads, eat um up yum"

VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by 44808 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:12 pm

like4pokesquid wrote:just a question, I know that some laynetters, laying net is a liveyhood. would it make a difference if say instead of laying the net across the beach parallel to the shoreline but instead laying it straight out to leave some room for us fisherman would it make a difference in your catch. just a though. :D

Many of the spots that i lay have no fishermen whatsoever 8) , or fishermen find those spots undesirable. On rare occasions that there are fishermen at my spots i don't lay-net, just common courtesy :wink: . Laying the net differently all depends on witch of my spots I'm at how the tide is, current, bottom, fish and so on.
Rippin' lips

Uncle Ji
100+ Club
100+ Club

Post by Uncle Ji » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:43 am

Growing up in the 60s & 70s laying net was a normal way of fishing. My Dad made nets both lay nets, and throw nets. Our target fish were 'Awa, 'Anae, Kala, White Weke these fish rarely targeted by rod fishermen. We did not do it commercially, just to provide protein for the ohana as needed. We never layed net where it would conflict with other fishermen. Everything was pono back then. I still have my lay nets but haven't used then for close to 20 years. They are family heirlooms but I have no desire to jump thru the hoops to meet the new strict requirements the DLNR requires of lay-netters. Laying net with my ohana will be a memory from now on of better days past which is fine with me since my own kids preferred video games to learning the old ways. All the new rules and regulations have discouraged the majority of honest netters from this practice but does nothing to dissuade illegal netters with unregistered, over length, undersized eye nets in the least. In my home waters where I grew up fishing (Kailua) lay netting is now totally banned yet every week end in Kaelepulu stream there is a gauntlet of nets I must navigate around to get to the sea. DLNR has been notified countless times and they do nothing which only emboldens these illegal netters. They do it in broad daylight right by Buzz's Steakhouse knowing their cousin in DOCARE would never bust them. I'm pretty disgusted with the corruption and lack of enforcement from the State & DLNR.
"I ike lakou, o oe, ka mea wale no nona ka inoa o IEHOVA; O oe no ka Mea kiekie loa maluna o ka honua a pau." Na Halelu 83:18

VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by 44808 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:40 pm

Uncle Ji wrote: I'm pretty disgusted with the corruption and lack of enforcement from the State & DLNR.

That makes 2 of us...+ god knows how much.

When is their enforcement ever going to effect people that are consistently breaking the laws? They don't patrol at night do they (i've never seen them at night, they should be out there though)? 50% of what I see is done at night...boats coming in with illegal size nets/fish. I know one boat that runs to Molokai first thing in the morning, surrounds over there during the day, runs back across the Kaiwi right before dark, ALL ILLEGAL NETS, never fails they load the boat every trip. Bad people...Have i ever seen/heard of them get busted? No...

Wait & see situation? Or are we going to step up and do something about it, before we have nothing left :idea:
Rippin' lips

derfie
Member 50+
Member 50+

Post by derfie » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:11 pm

What puzzles me is that what could they possibly doing if they're not patrolling and not responding to callers?

Brian F.
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by Brian F. » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:21 pm

Some of the things they've been doing in the past are: making court appearances, providing security for things like Iolani Palace/Superferry, etc., patrolling the mountains on foot, doing stakeouts to catch thieves at State park parking lots, etc. etc.
Aloha,
Brian F.

"No House, No Fish"
"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"
http://fishtoday.org (the views expressed above are my own and do not specifically represent that of PIFG)

VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by 44808 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:57 pm

derfie wrote:What puzzles me is that what could they possibly doing if they're not patrolling and not responding to callers?
Their doing everything else... :roll:
Rippin' lips

TrySlidePuhiIsbaAACK
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by TrySlidePuhiIsbaAACK » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:13 pm

UNREAL!! HOW MANY TIMES ARE PEOPLE GOING TO KEEP USING LAYNETTING AS A PART OF OUR CULTURE...SO WHAT!!! THATS NOT AN EXCUSE TO RAPE THE WATERS ANYMORE!!..SLAVERY WAS A STRONG PART OF THE SOUTHERN CULTURE AND I DONT SEE IT GOING ON ANYMORE...ITS 2009!!ITS WRONG!! THE WATERS HAVE CHANGED SINCE THE KINGS ROAMED...THE LAND HAS CHANGED..AND MOST IMPORTANT THERE ARE WAY WAY WAY MORE PEOPLE HERE NOW...OUR OCEAN CAN NOT KEEP UP WITH ALL OF THE PRESSURE...BAN NETTING COMPLETLY.
Last edited by TrySlidePuhiIsbaAACK on Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TrySlidePuhiIsbaAACK
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by TrySlidePuhiIsbaAACK » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:20 pm

im sure there are many good dnr here on hawaii but i think EVERYLAST ONE OF THEM SHOULD BE FIRED.. I HATE TO SAY THIS BECAUSE IT JUST DOESNT SOUND RITE...WHY HIRE PEOPLE FROM THE MAINLAND TO TAKE OVER LOCAL JOBS...BUT!!!!!! IMMA SAY IT...FIRE EVERYLAST ONE OF THESE GUYS...EVERY LAST ONE!! AND REPLACE THESE GUYS WITH FLORIDA DNR OR ALASKA OR ANY OTHER PLACE THAT ENFORCES THERE LAWS!!! these islands are way to small..its the good ol boy system over here...we all know eachother...there are way to many people "dnlr" turning a blind eye!...or AONTHER OPTION...MAKE EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM GO GET PROPER TRAINING..NAHHH...FIRE THEM ALL!
Last edited by TrySlidePuhiIsbaAACK on Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TrySlidePuhiIsbaAACK
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by TrySlidePuhiIsbaAACK » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:26 pm

Uncle Ji wrote:Growing up in the 60s & 70s laying net was a normal way of fishing. My Dad made nets both lay nets, and throw nets. Our target fish were 'Awa, 'Anae, Kala, White Weke these fish rarely targeted by rod fishermen. We did not do it commercially, just to provide protein for the ohana as needed. We never layed net where it would conflict with other fishermen. Everything was pono back then. I still have my lay nets but haven't used then for close to 20 years. They are family heirlooms but I have no desire to jump thru the hoops to meet the new strict requirements the DLNR requires of lay-netters. Laying net with my ohana will be a memory from now on of better days past which is fine with me since my own kids preferred video games to learning the old ways. All the new rules and regulations have discouraged the majority of honest netters from this practice but does nothing to dissuade illegal netters with unregistered, over length, undersized eye nets in the least. In my home waters where I grew up fishing (Kailua) lay netting is now totally banned yet every week end in Kaelepulu stream there is a gauntlet of nets I must navigate around to get to the sea. DLNR has been notified countless times and they do nothing which only emboldens these illegal netters. They do it in broad daylight right by Buzz's Steakhouse knowing their cousin in DOCARE would never bust them. I'm pretty disgusted with the corruption and lack of enforcement from the State & DLNR.
I AGREE..DISGUSTED AT THE LACK OF ENFORCEMENT AND CORRUPTION

VIP Poster
VIP Poster

lalahu Time lol

Post by 44808 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:46 am

Should start to see some guys breaking the pile at Waimea soon. Supposedly guys were suppose to hit um today but with the surf i don't think that it happened or will it happen soon. Already got the usual's at Kahana trying but they aren't doing too good :lol: .....Dropping nets blind, in overcast waters & no sight of em :wink: .

Hopefully DLNR can get some idiots who don't know what their doing, this time around.
Rippin' lips