how to lay net

Moderators: primo808, bluefinmod, 96743

okiifish

how to lay net

Post by okiifish » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:50 pm

how do you lay net? i ask because it seems very cumbersome and would be very easy to tangle yourself in it.

VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Re: how to lay net

Post by 44808 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:23 pm

It really isn't that easy to get yourself tangled in a net unless you really try to. Normally all you have on is snorkel/swim shorts/fins or sometimes no even need that. If you have a lot of accessories on you'd get stuck or tangled easily but most of the experienced don't have any of that. Laying it is simple, picking it up is the part where it gets more time consuming (on the reef anyway). The people that lay the net know how to handle it if you do get tangled.

If you do get tangled in a net don't freak first off. 80% of the nets are small pound test 20lb and under something that you can easily rip with your hands, unless it's a kala net 40lb test kine but most the time these are layed with flat bottoms.

Main thing just don't lay net if you don't know how :wink: .
Rippin' lips

Uncle Ji
100+ Club
100+ Club

Re: how to lay net

Post by Uncle Ji » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:38 am

Don't wear a wrist watch while laying net at least not an analog type with small knobs for net line to catch on. I always laid net using a small boat (no screw haeds etc. for net to snag on) or a tube raft made from truck tire tube with a plywood bottom. Just put the lead line in the boat or raft letting the float line float in water while both setting and retrieving. As Radon Boats pointed out have someone with experience show you how, never go solo, and always follow the DLNR rules keeping everything legal.
"I ike lakou, o oe, ka mea wale no nona ka inoa o IEHOVA; O oe no ka Mea kiekie loa maluna o ka honua a pau." Na Halelu 83:18