Disappointing behavior

Moderators: primo808, bluefinmod, 96743

Makule

Disappointing behavior

Post by Makule » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:39 pm

A friend borrowed my lobster net last week and went down to the Manuka area (around Timbuktu). He caught a couple of lobsters but the last night/morning, someone stole the net.

We were taught that if someone has their net soaking, we should leave it alone, even if we didn't see anyone around. Obviously, someone owns it and to take it is stealing.

As I mentioned before, my fishing is for food. Since I hardly go these days, it would have been good if my friend could have brought back something for me to eat. Whoever took the net, and you know who you are, be proud that you took food out of my mouth and out of my wife's mouth. Be pleased with yourself for not getting caught. You know what you did was wrong. You should simply return it to Bumboocha at Tokunaga Store and he will get it back to me. You should not use it. I know what my nets look like and how they are made. If I see you with it, I will confront you about it. Better to destroy it than to be constantly looking over your shoulders to see if anyone is watching you. Better to make things pono than to forever remember what you did.

This kind of behavior is very sad, and those who engage in this type of behavior are hurting themselves more than they realize.

VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Re: Disappointing behavior

Post by 44808 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:59 pm

Makule wrote: I know what my nets look like and how they are made.
Sorry for your loss Makule, i've had 7 nets stolen from me throughout my life and it's very irritating to say the least. Growing up and still now laying net it's a way for me and my family to eat. As you said you know your nets that's a great thing, i've recovered a few nets in the past from people who live in my area and play stupid, but i knew my nets witch i pointed out to them all my nets are the same and eventually i threatened to call the police therefore that's when they gave in.

Lately, i look around more while i lay my nets just to see if there's any donkeys thinking about trying to pull anything on me (being that I'm alone a good amount of the time).
Rippin' lips

Makule

Post by Makule » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:38 am

Apologies for the emotional post.

SloTroller
200+ Club
200+ Club

Post by SloTroller » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:30 am

Makule wrote:Apologies for the emotional post.
No need to apologize. That was a good post.

Lots of untrustworthy people out there. Many of them willing to swipe property worth thousands of dollars.

The law requiring gill nets to be monitored has its own benefit: people less likely to steal something that's being watched. Still, some guys working on a film project down at Ewa Beach lost a 2000-watt Honda generator right out from under their noses.

Palolo Fisherman
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by Palolo Fisherman » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:45 am

Please read the latest gill net regulations. Your nets may have not been stolen and instead were confiscated by the DLNR.I am not hating or blaming, just pointing out something you may not be aware of.

Makule

Post by Makule » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:54 pm

Palolo Fisherman wrote:Please read the latest gill net regulations. Your nets may have not been stolen and instead were confiscated by the DLNR.I am not hating or blaming, just pointing out something you may not be aware of.
I believe there was some discussion about the lay net regulations not including lobster nets. There is some ambiguity because reference specifically to lobster nets is not made, as is made for akule net, etc. As far as I know, there is no official document that states a lobster net is a regulated item.

That the net may have been confiscated by DLNR would be sort of a first. Additionally, game wardens are not known to wear slippers when they patrol, so they would not have left them there after they picked up the net and cut out. Finally, in most cases, game wardens will question others in the area to ascertain who was around (trying to identify the owners) but such was not the case. It was purely hit and run.

SloTroller
200+ Club
200+ Club

Post by SloTroller » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:19 pm

"Additionally, game wardens are not known to wear slippers when they patrol..."

They were working undercover :-)

VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by 44808 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:28 pm

Palolo Fisherman wrote:Please read the latest gill net regulations. Your nets may have not been stolen and instead were confiscated by the DLNR.I am not hating or blaming, just pointing out something you may not be aware of.
In all of my years of :roll: "reef raping" :roll: i have not seen any nets ever confiscated by DLNR. Usually if anything, they will wait it out (Or leave & turn their head the other way like they never seen it) till someone comes and retrieves (if they weren't there monitoring the nets like they should have) the nets then they will tell you to grab the nets and bring them onshore where they can measure and do whatever they gotta do. Plus they wouldn't wanna get wet now would they?

SloTroller wrote:"Additionally, game wardens are not known to wear slippers when they patrol..."

They were working undercover :-)
Ha-ha-ha, this DLNR you guys speak of they actually "work" :o, last i seen they was cruzing around in trucks (daily) & partying at the sandbar on weekends :wink:
Rippin' lips

Makule

Post by Makule » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:23 am

Thank you. I saw the ad too and will make arrangements to see them.
HEEHUNTER1987 wrote:
Makule wrote:I know what my nets look like and how they are made.
http://honolulu.craigslist.org/big/spo/1611487811.html

Not sure if its yours but just looking out. :wink: