Papio Damage

Moderators: primo808, bluefinmod, 96743

BloodL1ne
Member 50+
Member 50+

Papio Damage

Post by BloodL1ne » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:05 am

Found these pics online, im guessing lay net...
Last edited by BloodL1ne on Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

baseballer1
Super Poster
Super Poster

Re: Papio Damage

Post by baseballer1 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:28 am

no offense to any laynet guys out there, but cing this makes me sick
imo, i think das jus over kill, i jus hope none of this went to waste nd all was eaten

VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by 44808 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:24 am

Just to clarify, I guess i should hop on this....i'm almost positive this is not the type of laynet alot of you are thinking of. This wasn't done by leaving nets out all night or letting them soak for a few hours.

9 times out of 10 these guys were probrobly dragging around by bridle off a boat then they spotted the school. Stopped the boat dropped another guy in the water then dropped the nets in specific areas around the school or structure holding the fish in that area. Then diving (with tanks) they swam the nets around the pile slowly eliminating one net at a time making the area smaller making it easiser to pick off the bigger sized papio with 3-prong in the net so no buss then taking out the smaller ones over time.
I doubt anything went to waste because being able to net a school of papio/ulua takes skill meaning they've done it for awhile & know exactly what thier doing. A good amount probrobly went to the market even though some of those are under 16".

Everyone gotta make a living & pay the bills but the truth is alot of the pictures that find it's way online are just a very small fraction of the net catches seen as RAPE IMO this is a small catch compared to alot of diffrent 'loads' i've seen.

If you guys wanna throw around the word 'rape' go down to the block around New Years when there's 100,000+lbs coming in everyday. Seriously....Open some eyes...just some 'food for thought'.

rb
Rippin' lips

baseballer1
Super Poster
Super Poster

Post by baseballer1 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:52 am

well propz to these guys if they got the skill to grab a school like this, i jus wish it wasnt a school of papio/ulua
thats another 100 or so potential ulua gone haha oh well jus gotta pound da rods mo hard now

ripdaface
Member 50+
Member 50+

Post by ripdaface » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:15 pm

they should just ban net laying..they would even come close to shore where people are fishing..they rake the akulie, dobbie papio (white tongue papio)..it just sickins me knowing when the kids grow up and want to fish it will be harder for them to catch fish..it's all ready hard as it is to catch fish..i hope them lay netters are happy in what thier taking away..
catch what u need..not what u can show off.. :twisted: :twisted:

nomotako

Post by nomotako » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:59 pm

To all the tag and release guys out there, Brian F, Clay Tam you out there.....

You guys should hook up with Radon Boats and figure out how to educate this guy and all of his friends. All of your hard work goes to sh** when people catch all this papios. He seems to always know everything about anything when it comes to net or commercial fishing and maybe he can be your link to teaching these guys what harm they are doing.He says the pics we see are just a small part of what is going on, must be that he knows what is actually happening that is worse than this. have him help you guys save some fish for our kids.

RB you always talk about gotta feed the family so this stuff is okay. we all gotta feed our families but we don't go into the ocean and take all that we can. we go school or work and bust our butts to make a living. weekend comes and we love to go fish, kinda hard when all the fish gone cause somebody catching them when we stay working our 9 to 5.

I'm out.

VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by 44808 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:37 pm

nomotako wrote:To all the tag and release guys out there, Brian F, Clay Tam you out there.....

You guys should hook up with Radon Boats and figure out how to educate this guy and all of his friends. All of your hard work goes to sh** when people catch all this papios. He seems to always know everything about anything when it comes to net or commercial fishing and maybe he can be your link to teaching these guys what harm they are doing.He says the pics we see are just a small part of what is going on, must be that he knows what is actually happening that is worse than this. have him help you guys save some fish for our kids.

RB you always talk about gotta feed the family so this stuff is okay. we all gotta feed our families but we don't go into the ocean and take all that we can. we go school or work and bust our butts to make a living. weekend comes and we love to go fish, kinda hard when all the fish gone cause somebody catching them when we stay working our 9 to 5.

I'm out.

Whoa easy there. Bagging Papio/ulua isn't a daily thing for many 'netters'....thier rarely a target because thier a pain in the *** to even get close to freaking let alone have them stay in one area for 5 minutes to put nets around. & yes this is a VERY SMALL PEACHES CATCH, sorry to break it to everyone but %90 of the guys shorecasting out there are completely BLIND to what is actually happening out there when the water is nice n flat. I do know whats going on out there, bad & good.
Countless stories & s*** that you'd never hear in your life, 4000lbs Manini/900lbs moana/600lbs mu....so much fish that they gotta mark the spot & leave the nets there bundled up till they drop the fish off cause get too much weight on the boat.

What really got me though is when you said
figure out how to educate this guy and all of his friends
Really? Are you serious. Because last time i checked me & 'My friends' are out there sometimes on a daily basis fishing the waters & working in the ocean, some of the most exspirenced fishermen/divers/netters you'll never know. We know alot more than some of the 'reasearch' guys. Why? We've been out there for thousands of hours actually in the water. Not just looking at some BS statistics.

Everyone thinks that it takes no skill to 'rape' but trust me, it takes years to learn how the fish act & know the grounds by heart. Too much people just talk talk talk bad about something but they will never really knowwhat the hell their talking about...just because people are saying the same thing lets hop on the train.

Sorry some of us don't have 9 to 5 jobs....the ocean is all some guys know & will continue to be working daily regaurdless of what people have to say, feeding the state's aunties/uncles/familys/tutu's & papa's who aren't able to go out and get fish on thier own.

Everything else aside i'd say right on for this guy in the picture providing for his family & making money.
Rippin' lips

nomotako

Post by nomotako » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:33 pm

It would be lot easier to listen to what you have to say if it wasn't for the stuff you used to post:

by Radon Boats » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:44 am
Radon Boats wrote:last week I went to this one spot trying to catch bait to slide. So I was catching a bunch of Manini but nothing else so i decided to just slide it since that's all I had since it was getting late. So I slid it down 5 minutes later huge hit ran for a good 45seconds to a minute and spooled me this was a 4/0 penn loaded with 20lb trilene big game line. So first off i thought big shark???? So a few minutes later tried another manini on my other setup 6/0 with 45 lb test an hour goes by....................
Radon Boats wrote:Hey everyone thanks for the feedback :wink:

Hey PUHI thanks i think it was mamo don't know the difference really between the two. looks like I gotta go get new setups, different line and some now books before I go shoreline fishing again........

c'mon which is it? u the fisherman better than 90% of us clueless shorefishermen or someone who never even know the difference between one mamo and one manini. except for a few people who always tend to get "LUCKY" :wink: on this forum most of us just trying to catch something and most of the time we catch nothing. sso when we see pics of all these papios i think to myself why even bother to tag and release anything if you experts going just catch em all anyways. i dont care about the statistics that they gather i care about the fish that are let go to reproduce.

im glad i fall in the 90% clueless group, better to be clueless but trying to save something for the future than expert and catching everything that swims.

VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by 44808 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:45 pm

Hahahahah k u got me that was a bs post. Was tryna feel the crowd out when i first got on the forum. sorry :(
Rippin' lips

Brian F.
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by Brian F. » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:42 pm

One half of the tag and release effort is to get it in people’s minds that it is better to let fish go. But the caveat is that people tend to go overboard because they have tunnel vision and look at every fish as precious – thus the flyfisherman syndrome of “I’m better than you because I only release fish” that happens even here. The other half of the effort is to gather information about the fish by releasing them and comparing them when re-caught so that we make better informed management decisions and not base it on "it's better if we close it all off". At the same time, I’ve always emphasized that we should be able to eat what we catch and what others provide us with if you look back at my posting history.

I really don't think this kind of thing is damaging based on the facts that 1. there are very few people that know how to do this kind of fishing and, even though they are good enough to keep doing it consistently for a living to have a damaging impact, they don't - you can count on your hand how many full time commercial fishermen there are and 2. just about all of them rarely go after papio/ulua because the market just doesn't want it due to ciguatera. Just look at the commercial landing reports that everyone points to as "declining". It's not declining since 1985 because there's less fish but it’s because no one is actually going out to catch ulua for the market. If anyone’s been fishing since then, you know that’s when ciguatera really became widely known. The fish are still there – commercial guys say the ulua fishery is very healthy as they see with their own eyes the amounts out there – the fish didn’t disappear after commercial guys stopped fishing for them.

I think if we pay attention a little more in school, one of the lessons we are taught is that not everything in the world is what we are lead to believe (you know, like how the world was flat). And that especially can be the case when people repeat things over and over, like "laynetters or commercial guys take everything". They don’t because that’s how they keep generations of their families fishing – you don’t kill the goose that lays the golden egg. But just like a mathematical equation, which I know you know well nomotako, if you have too many unknowns, your answer comes out funny kine. Our world of ulua fishing is viewed through some very narrow tubes and we don't realize that there is a whole other world that we know very little about but judge as though we know everything. Basically, our world as ulua fishermen exists to about as far as we can cast and beyond that is total mystery to 99.9% of us. Think about it, even at the most crowded spot, we cover an arc of maybe 200 yard radius and hope that something comes close enough to eat whatever food there’s supposed to be where we are fishing. Ulua habitat extends out to God knows how far and how deep where there’s tons of better food to eat and we wonder why we don’t catch anything most of the time. A friend of mine who is a master fisherman but knew nothing about slide bait fishing himself wondered why we would fish so inefficiently.

But, is it really that bad? I seem to recall some east Oahu spots are having phenomenal years these past few and, in fact, a few particular spots that have not been hot in years are just going off. Of course, most people never hear about this because the guys get mad when people talk. I’d say that the amount and sizes in the photo pale in comparison to what some of the “pounders” at these East Oahu spots can catch of the really big producers in terms of eggs.

Thanks, nomotako for the suggestion. I already have very good relationships with a few fishermen that make a living fishing and have learned literally 100s of times more about fishing from them than I could in an entire lifetime of fishing for ulua. I highly recommend it to just about everyone with an open mind to get to know someone like that. Many of us think we know it all because we've been fishing ulua for 10-20 years. But how many of us actually spend any time in the water from 0 to 150 feet looking at the grounds, what the fish do, when they come, when they go, what conditions cause them to do certain things, what external impacts cause them to do, etc. etc. And on top of that, do it at all times of the day and night and 90% of the days in the year? I listen to what these guys do and what they know about the ocean and really, I feel pretty silly calling myself "experienced".
Aloha,
Brian F.

"No House, No Fish"
"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"
http://fishtoday.org (the views expressed above are my own and do not specifically represent that of PIFG)

ripdaface
Member 50+
Member 50+

Post by ripdaface » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:50 pm

somebody just did the squid and went back in his hole..or umm foot in mouth... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: good one nomotako.. :lol:

bait tossah
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by bait tossah » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:08 pm

wow Brian, i like meet your friends too :wink:

maybe can gain some info to put in the black book :mrgreen:

i always like reading what you post..........very interesting 8)

aloha,
"jus got lucky"

VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by 44808 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:37 pm

Once again Brian.....flawless post. You always seem to cover all the points & even beond them in some cases.

Only if there were more people like you out there....
Rippin' lips

mbg60
Super Poster
Super Poster

Post by mbg60 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:27 pm

Hope they have a commercial license...............otherwise they may be over the 20 fish per person per day limit.
Mark

ripdaface
Member 50+
Member 50+

Post by ripdaface » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:14 pm

so i guess our kids and thier kids will suffer in the long run when they try to catch fish an not catch a darn thing cause some people just wana catch all the fish with nets..maybe i should sell all my fishing gear and buy nets too..NOT!!!!!!... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: sorry if i offened anyone but it just piss me off knowing that some people thinks it's ok to catch as much fish with nets then they really need..