Aussie fish

Moderators: primo808, bluefinmod, 96743

deepkona
Big Time Poster
Big Time Poster

Re: Aussie fish

Post by deepkona » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:23 am

Aloha youngy,
O.K.....I can kind of tell what colors and variety of lures would work for you in your region. Let me see what I can muster up for you before you make your way over here.
O'io lures...? You know, the only place I've caught O'io on a lure was at Christmas Island, Kiribati. For Hawaii, we always go after Bonefish with cut squid bait or sand turtles off the beach and that works best for us.
You and your buddies do good fishing man...!!! I have to say again, you guys go "Catch'in" not "Fish'in". Good job man...!!!

Let me get Thanksgiving Host duties out for the way and try to turn you a couple lures and also get the Fly tying vise set up for your bottom fish flies....
You are probably out there right now huh....Good luck.
Mahalos,

youngy
100+ Club
100+ Club

Post by youngy » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:10 am

Deepkona i feel that it doesn't matter what country you live in our passion for fishing bonds us all together, i am enjoying reading the comments and seeing the photos on this website as i do the ones here in Australia.

As for the Bonefish i would be more than happy to catch them on bait, but if that happens i will be trying to get one on a lure.

At this stage my research tells me a small 3inch wriggler type soft plastic like the one in the photo would be my best bet, any comments from you guys about this lure, cheers wayne
[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-imag ... .jpg[/img]
[/url]

deepkona
Big Time Poster
Big Time Poster

Post by deepkona » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:43 am

Youngy,
We call those "grubs" and typically, do not use the lead heads to weight them. For O'io though, you could use the heads to kick up puffs of sand. In my opinion, 3" would be too large for Hawaii O'io's.
My set-up for grubs would be: mainline into an egg sinker(3/8 - 1/2 oz.) then tied to a 2-way swivel. Tie off a 6' to 8' leader to the opposite end of your swivel, tie leader to 1/o straight shank hook, place hook into head portion of grub.
Go to shoreline and whip like crazy.
Speaking of "crazy", I may tie you a couple of Crazy Charlie's to try out for the bones...

Mahalos,

youngy
100+ Club
100+ Club

Post by youngy » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:33 pm

Ok Deepkona, i will bring a range of smaller 1 and a half and 2 inch grubs, probably bring a range of Poppers and walk the dog style lures in case there is any surface action as well.

Had a fish last night and got a good feed of Whiting on bait, biggest one in photo.

With every video i look at and every post i read on the site i am looking more and more to coming over, cheers wayne[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-imag ... .jpg[/img]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/url]

Lahaina808
200+ Club
200+ Club

Post by Lahaina808 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:46 pm

Youngy, I don't target oio when I whip/throw lures so I'm not the most knowledgeable on the topic. This thread popped up in one of my searches and I thought I'd pass it along:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9930&p=93939&hilit=bucktail#p93939

I haven't used these before as I normally throw small topwater lures (only caught a few barracudas) and 2" grubs. The grubs have been the most productive for me in catching various reef fish and small papio/trevally. For oio/bonefish I've caught mine baitcasting strips of ika (squid). Hopefully that link helps you out, if not, it's a pretty neat fly/jig to see!

konaplugcaster
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by konaplugcaster » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:11 pm

3" Berkley Power Grubs, rigged on a jighead for sightcasting, rigged with an egg lead and leader for long distance. Stick with natural colors like brown, tan, and olive, avoid sparkle colors for shallow water bones.
Hawaii has the biggest bonefish in the world, good luck!

youngy
100+ Club
100+ Club

Post by youngy » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:57 pm

Lahaina those Flies look awesome, makes me think i should bring some soft plastic prawns with me as well.

Konaplugcaster thanks for the lure colour suggestions, i would be happy with even a medium size Bonefish, one of those monster Hawaiian Bonefish would be a fish of a lifetime for me.

If i catch one it will be released but not before i take lots of photos of it, cheers wayne

deepkona
Big Time Poster
Big Time Poster

Post by deepkona » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:13 am

Youngy,
Nice catch man...!!! You must have had a pretty good dinner that evening.

Lahaina,
Thanks for posting the old tread on KPC's shrimp fly. Looks like a winner.

For me, there is just something "special" about catching a fish on a lure or fly that I have made on a rod that I have built. Even if it was a friend that caught something on your homemade lures/flies...I don't know, feels good, somehow more connected.
Oh oh, it's Thanksgiving Day and I'm hosting. Gotta get busy.
Have a Great Turkey Day fellow fishers.
Mahalos,

youngy
100+ Club
100+ Club

Post by youngy » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:04 pm

Hi guys busy couple of days fishing back here in Australia, went freshwater fishing in one of our stocked impoundments "dams".

About a 20 acre dam stocked with mainly Bass and a couple of other species, caught and released over 60 fish in 2 fishing sessions on deep diving lures.

Fish were sitting in about 6 meters of water, once you had your lure down there it got smashed.

Hope the fishing is good over there see you guys in May, cheers wayne

Uploaded with ImageShack.us