Howlie from Alaska looking for info Oahu and Maui

Moderators: primo808, bluefinmod, 96743

AlaskaFisherman907

Howlie from Alaska looking for info Oahu and Maui

Post by AlaskaFisherman907 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:10 pm

I am going to be visiting Maui and Oahu this November 10- 25. Will be on Maui the 10-15 and the rest of the trip on Oahu. On Maui we are going to be staying in Wailea the first couple of nights then headed up to Kaanapali the rest of the time. While on Oahu we have a VRBO in Waimanalo. I will have a rental car so can travel to the fish if needed.

I am a sport fishing guide from Alaska and have an assortment of spin rods and fly rods I will be bringing.I am hoping to try my luck for some bonefish on the fly as well as casting my surf rod for whatever wants to take my poppers. Right now I have a 10' St Croix Travel surf rod rated for 8-20 lb and lures up 3/4 to 4 ounces. I have used it before to cast poppers and gt ice cream top water baits in French Polynesia. I pair this rod with a Shimano Twin Power spinning reel in the 14000 series. I also have a smaller travel rod 7'6'' that is rated for lures up to 3/4 of an ounce. I pair this with a Shimano Stradic 4000 series reel.

My questions are about another rod maybe can in between to cast medium sized lures. What would you guys recommend I get?

Also any input on what lures to buy or stores to go get the lure I may need while there?

I plan on fishing early in the morning before the wife wakes up and before sunset when I can. Any hotspots I shouldn't miss? I understand giving away fishing spots on the internet is not bueno. A point in the right direction is all I need.

Also if anyone on here would like to take me out I would be happy to show you a good time if you are ever in Alaska.I own my own guide service on the Kenai and Kasilof rivers in south central Alaska.

Thanks in advance.

Alex