Howcome I cannot search for topics about catching moi??

Moderators: primo808, 96743, bluefinmod

brystons

Howcome I cannot search for topics about catching moi??

Post by brystons » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:13 pm

everytime I try to search for moi I get no results.

kona-ulua-style
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Re: Howcome I cannot search for topics about catching moi??

Post by kona-ulua-style » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:35 pm

Stream Moi... salt,pepper , green onions , and pour hot peanut oil over...UM! Once reserve for Hawaiian Chiefs and Ali'l's

The reason for not some many topics on catching Moi's is ? Pretty much you catch them the same way as most other fish species...
They will bite shrimp, sand crabs ,aama crabs, cut baits- like ika, tako, aku belly. (dunking)

Whipping- We like using the black ,silver and clear grubs, (2") but other colors will work too... Off course throw netting!

DLNR: Closed season for Moi is June to August , minimum size to keep is 11" ( eleven inches) , Bag limits is 15 per person - per day. (HAR - 13-95) Report all violation to DLNR : 643-3567.

Once you hook up to one Moi, and it escapes? ... the whole school will disappear...gone!

The key (secret) is location or areas Moi's like to hang out at.... Not too many people will share there secret spots for catching Moi's.

Fishing line and equitment, varies ...light game stuff is usually better...4 lb and up..

Catching them is easy ( well sometimes).. finding them and keeping the school around is the hard part....
----------------------------
The most I have seen caught with a throw net was 80 something on the count, and plenty was falling out of the net as the guy was bringing his throw net to shore...1-4lb range... One throw

Aloha, Moi a prize fish for sure....
Last edited by kona-ulua-style on Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bluefinmod
Member 50+
Member 50+

Post by bluefinmod » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:51 pm

It has to do with keeping the database size reasonable for the forum. Going to three minimum letters in searches may add a significant amount of data and the admin would have to check that it will not overload the server that this is on. Checking on it and will let everyone know.
On behalf of the forum moderators and website administrator.

brystons

Post by brystons » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:33 pm

@bluefin ahh I see, thanks for the enlightenment. Was getting little bit frustrated!

@kona right on mahalo for the advice. Figured was more about the area than anything. Glad to see you still around this site sharing your knowledge.

808kutb8
Big Time Poster
Big Time Poster

Post by 808kutb8 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:13 pm

In my opinion, it is more a question of abundance, if you are talking about fishing on Oahu. Moi live in a variety of habitats, so they can be found all over, but because they are becoming more scarce even if you know a lot of great spots you may not have much success. It is to bad, because they a prolific species like aholeahole, mullet, and awa. All they have to do is change some laws and enforce them, but that is not going to happen.

f8ldzz
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by f8ldzz » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:02 am

Due to their nature, moi are very suceptible to lay nets...
Whole schools are easily wiped out with just one lay net.
Not everyone follows DLNR rules...
These rules should also be rewritten due to the fact that large moi (over 3lbs.) are all females.
Human nature to brag about "big" fish.
Slot limits for moi would really help...if people follow them...

kona-ulua-style
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by kona-ulua-style » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:40 pm

'f8ldzz" Very good point, If people follow them"... (rules).

Moi would make an excellent choice to have slot or size limits ( release to reproduce) example: 14"-18" have to be release and anything over you can keep legal limits, from 11" to under 14 inches limits are two..? just examples...

Lots of research will be needed to provide the best data for finding best sizes of Moi's for slot /size limits ( can't keep and must release).

The Red Drum was facing extinction.... and after 7 years of slot/size limits...the Red Drum came back to survival rates..Gulf Coast areas.

Hawaii will need to adopt slot/size limits for many of our shoreline species, not just minimum size and limited catches..? We know this does not help to increase the numbers of each shoreline species...

We all need to get involved with our Hawaii policy makers... Adopted and try slot/size limits for our shoreline species to recover faster and in more numbers..

1,000 fish may reproduce 250 (1/4) reaching of age, may become reproduces, 10,000 more fishes could reproduce 2,500( 1/4) more breeders, and so the numbers will grow for sure, these are just example number...
-----------------------------------
Why the 2 year open and closure do not work in Waikiki beaches? Simple , most of the bigger or larger shoreline species needs about 4-5 years to reach of age to become breeding size or reproducers...baby makers...
Fishes like Akule, Wekes, grows faster and reproduce faster each year. Palanis , Kalas, Nenues needs more time to grow and age..

Want to see more shorelines species? We need to let all the reproducing size shoreline fishes be release to reproduce...

Aloha, The population or any species will go to extinct without reproducing... and this is where "sex-ing" is good for..

808kutb8
Big Time Poster
Big Time Poster

Post by 808kutb8 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:19 pm

Slot limits might work but in Hawaii I do not think it would work even if everyone followed the rules. A lot of moi are caught in nets. Most would not survive after getting stuck in a net. Releasing the fish would have the same result as if keeping them.

BruceAlmighty
100+ Club
100+ Club

Post by BruceAlmighty » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:41 pm

Too many people turn a blind eye to the rules. Size or season don't seem to matter to some people.