power pro hollow ace kit

Moderators: primo808, bluefinmod, 96743

Matt Shear

power pro hollow ace kit

Post by Matt Shear » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:53 am

Anyone try the hollow ace kit for making wind on leaders. I can't tie the FG knot to save my life and need a better knot then a bristol or albright to connect 80 pound braid to 100 pound florocarbon. Do any of you Ulua whipping guys use these?

Thanks,
Matt S.

reefmonsta
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Re: power pro hollow ace kit

Post by reefmonsta » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:37 pm

Matt Shear wrote:Anyone try the hollow ace kit for making wind on leaders. I can't tie the FG knot to save my life and need a better knot then a bristol or albright to connect 80 pound braid to 100 pound florocarbon. Do any of you Ulua whipping guys use these?

Thanks,
Matt S.

Matt just keep practicing, practicing and practicing your FG knot and it will get easier as time goes by. If you want to use hollow core, it might be cheaper to just by the correct DaHo needle for your needs instead of buying the whole kit. If you intend on using 80# power pro hollow core then the recommended mono/fluro line size is 50# to 80#. More specifically, .026"/.670mm to .038"/.960mm. The individual needle model number you will need is the N08038. Good luck!
reefmonsta
Instagram - follow @reefmonstah

Matt Shear

Post by Matt Shear » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:51 am

I ended up buying the kit. It seems to make a good connection for making wind on leaders. I do need to find a source of small spools of hollow core lines. With this kit I am able to make factory quality wind on leaders at a fraction of the cost. Using 130 pound toro tamer ( stolen from my Avet T-Rex 50), I was able to splice 130 pound fluorocarbon with a loop on the end. I can connect this loop to a spider hitch off the main line. It came out great and takes less then 5 minutes to make. I like this connection type for vertical jigging and boat rigs. I have never used this set up on my heavy surf rods and don't know how they cast. I do want the best heavy Ulua plugging/whipping set up and need the connection point of 80 pound braid to 80-130 pound fluorocarbon to fly through the guides of my 11 foot CTS rod. It seems most serious GT guys are using the FG knot, but I just have trouble with it.

Thanks,

Matt S.

yotd1976

Post by yotd1976 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:37 pm

My friend uses the same hollow braid kit to make wind on leader.
He fishes hollow braid exclusively on his plugging reels.
40lb to 100lb mono wind on
80lb to 150lb mono wind on

I got the same wind on leader system
65lb solid braid bimini to wind on
100lb hollow to wind on

All 4 reels dedicated for ulua plugging