Replacing kaku lure hooks?

Moderators: primo808, 96743, bluefinmod

Ducusin808
Member 25+
Member 25+

Replacing kaku lure hooks?

Post by Ducusin808 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:44 am

Hey guys, this past Christmas my grandpa, uncle and I went through all our fishing stuff. We needed to make space in the garage and threw away all the old/broken stuff. I stumbled upon some of my grandpas whipping stuff and found a bunch of kaku lures, he said I could take um. Only problem is the hooks were all rusted so I cut them off.the frame and internal wire of the lures are still good but I was just wondering what method of adding a new hook would be. I've heard of clipping the eye of the treble and squeezing it shut onto the lure but it seems like that would weaken the hook. Is that the best choice or should I risk loosing action of the lure and use split rings? Mahalos for any help guys

deepkona
Big Time Poster
Big Time Poster

Re: Replacing kaku lure hooks?

Post by deepkona » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:18 am

Ducusin,
Seems like you got it figured out....either snip the treble hook eye or use a split ring.
If I use a split ring, I tend to use "Owners".
I've had to use stainless steel braided wire with crimps before because the hook hanger was internally imbedded in the body of the lure.
They all should work.....Good Luck out there.
Mahalos,

beauchat
Member 50+
Member 50+

Re: Replacing kaku lure hooks?

Post by beauchat » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:10 am

split rings, i dont like snipping the eye of the hook just to get it on the lure cuz id hate to lose a big one cuz of that. Ive found that split rings in itself dont affect the action of the lure as much as the weight of the split rings and hooks together. In fact I believe split rings give the lure more action because it frees up the sway of the hook more than if the hook eye was directly mounted to the thru wiring. If you put a heavy split ring and a big *** hook on the lure itll bog it down for sure. Just match the components to the lure and youll be ok, but use split rings for sure.