Whipping Hooks

Moderators: primo808, bluefinmod, 96743

UluaHunta
Mega poster
Mega poster

Whipping Hooks

Post by UluaHunta » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:20 pm

Aloha Ulua-Fishing Forum Members;

What is the most popular whipping hooks? MZ, BKN, AH, MUSTARD(straight shank), EAGLE CLAW? Looking for good hook up ratio don't wanna have a lot of miss strikes, miss hook ups and etc... from the hook. I have heard BKN #12 is pretty good and considering its a circle hook once you hook up hook is pretty much set inside the jaw. But will the circle hook "ruin" the action of the curly tail?

Whats your opinion? And why? Been getting into whipping a lot and now really want to be serious about "terminal tackle" when whipping. Thanks gang 8)
loose $$ money!!

monstaveekz
100+ Club
100+ Club

Re: Whipping Hooks

Post by monstaveekz » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:51 am

I like the Eagle claw bait keepers. I usually use about a 7 or 8 tied by a uni knot with 3" curly tails. The knot and the barbs on the shank help to keep the worm from sliding off the hook. The eagle claws are also easier to extract when the fish swallows it since you dont have to angle the shank. They are stiff and strong and very sharp. Only downside i see is they rust easy but they are cheap and come in packs of 100. Hope this helps
POSITIVE ADDICTIONS

deepkona
Big Time Poster
Big Time Poster

Post by deepkona » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:42 am

X-2 on the straight shank bait keeper hooks.
Actually, with or without barbs on the shank works for me because I don't thread the grubs onto the hooks...just poke the hook one time through near the head of the grub...works fine.
Also, seems like the barbed shank type rusts faster....just my opinion.
Mustad tarpon hooks good also.
Mahalos,

UluaHunta
Mega poster
Mega poster

Post by UluaHunta » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:20 am

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I will be picking up some of those hooks. I found I have owner hooks size 4 hooks seems to be a straight shank but the eye of the hooks are a little off set what you think good for whipping?

deepkona,

That's the way I was told hook curly tail not yo through the body. You prefer egg lead or bubble float? What size leader you use I was going to use 10lb
loose $$ money!!

deepkona
Big Time Poster
Big Time Poster

Post by deepkona » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:15 am

UluaHunta,
I don't have the Owner straight shank hooks but the Eagle Claw variety do come Off-Set also. Mustad, no Off-Set.
Not sure if it makes a difference on the Off-Set as far as hook-up ratio's. I just don't care to use circle type hooks for whipping.
Lead egg sinkers work great if the water is blue/deep. Bubble floats or the large wood egg floaters work well if you are whipping the shallows. I buy those large wood floaters from Walmart and drill holes in them for putting in added weight via BB lead. Patch the holes with exterior caulk and re-paint them orange, yellow or white. I put enough lead in the egg floaters so that it has positive buoyancy(places we go sometimes get windy). If you get it just right, during your retrieve, the wood floater goes right under the surface.
Everything goes for whipping because you don't know what is going to strike. I got 20 lb. braid in the reel and use 12, 15, 25, 30 lb. fluorocarbon leaders about 8' long. Problem is, the screamers come when I've used 12, 15 lb. leaders...got cut off. :roll:
Whipping is fun and relaxing. Casual walk on the shoreline doing what you like to do at your own pace and hoping for the best. Getting cut-off with the smaller leaders....I guess was not meant to be...but better to experience that than no action.
Mahalos,

kona-ulua-style
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by kona-ulua-style » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:40 pm

i enjoy whipping for small game fishes, targeting the papios ,moanas, wekes, moi, wahi nui,menpachi, aweo,aweo, and what evers out there.. shoreline.. Day time hooks are usually one to two sizes smaller than my nighttime whipping set-ups..but not always...

The hooks i like to use on the grubs, scroungers,and cut baits, are Ah, O'douls, Mz . that is what i have in my tackle box...all of them works well for my purposes....i like the AH hooks the best. Even for hand pole fishing!

We all get misses, and many times it is not because of the shape of the hooks... the baits, lures gets in the way, or the fish didn't swallow it right, etc...

What ever you are using, and it feels right for you and you are getting good results...Keep using it!

Don,t get hook-up on these postings...

Aloha, sharp hooks do catch more fishes... stay sharp...OK

swallowtail
Member 25+
Member 25+

Post by swallowtail » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:58 pm

Howzit UluaHunta! Hope things are good. Just my 2 cents on your question. Odools (not the fake beer) have worked good for me. I think I use little bigger size than necessary, but doesn't seem to matter too much. I figure the glitter strips or curly tails is skipping around behind the bubble anyway so I rather have a little bit wider gap in the shank. Good luck!