?'s With Whipping

Moderators: primo808, bluefinmod, 96743

plugs4gt
Member 25+
Member 25+

?'s With Whipping

Post by plugs4gt » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:39 pm

Need some advice/input. I am trying to get my techniques and tackle down for whipping for papio. Looking for information to make my outings more successful.

* whats better(action wise) egg lead vs torpedo lead vs clear bubble floater
* prefer grub colors ( sunny days, early morning, cloudy days or overall in general)
* whats the best type of hooks for whipping don't wanna have plenty misses or spit hooks if possible
*best size line for leader 8lb 10lb( for sure using fluorocarbon!)

Please respond to post and share whatever information possible. Or can PM if you like keep ehm "secret" Thank you and god bless everyone!

Ducusin808
Member 25+
Member 25+

Re: ?'s With Whipping

Post by Ducusin808 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:16 am

Welcome to whipping lol. Get plenty ways to do it but in my opinion shallow water or areas with plenty reef I tend to use bubbles so I don't get stuck as often. I'll use barrel lead in deeper areas however I do notice a variety of fish hitting lures on the barrel lead since they can reach the bottom (hinalea, goats, roi, wahanui, ect.) bubbles will usually catch lai, papio, aha, kaku. Lure colors? That's tricky, it depends on location, what type of baitfish in the area, ect. Any firecracker grub(silver/red/blue glitter) will work, areas with whitewash the straight black ones will work. Just gotta try um out, I'd advise looking at the campania lures. Hooks? I use mostly MZ and eagle claw bait holder hooks they seem strong enough for the fish I go for 1-5lb range. And a leader for your 8-10 mainline I'd use a 10-15lb fluoro

kona-ulua-style
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by kona-ulua-style » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:52 pm

Just a tip for whipping in very deep waters... egg shape lead works very well, because it sinks fast...

When whipping in Deep waters, let it sink to almost the bottom, then jig up and pull the rod up same time, and ( cranking same time), than let it drop or sink again as you are pulling up... like a heart beating, same pattern .

You will be surprise how much more hits you get this way, rather that pulling up. Pulling up, let it sink, pull back up, let it sink as you are cranking in the fishing line... sometime I just pull up without winding any line too...near botton to mid bottom.. You will get many hits with this method!

Smaller size fishing lines catches more fishes. My small game whipping reels have either 6lb or 8lb main, leaders can be 6lb to 15lb depending on what I am targeting. l use only fluorocarbon fishing lines for leaders...

Best of luck to you, Please read many of the past postings here... lots of infos..

Aloha,
Last edited by kona-ulua-style on Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kona-ulua-style
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by kona-ulua-style » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:03 pm

When you visit any fishing store, Always look at the hook racks and lure racks... the good stuff moves the fastest...
Fisherman, always keep a good inventory in there tackle boxes.. hooks , lures, swivels, leads, etc..

This is one way to see what others are using...fastest movers or most popular lures and hooks , pegs will always be near empty...

After a while, buying hooks by the hundreds is the best way to go... and good idea to keep many different sizes too...never know what will be biting...?

Each shape lead, bubbles, launchers, egg , torpedo shape has it own purpose, and uses... Each fishing spot, you may have to change leads, due to the terrain bottoms... sometimes if it sinks to fast...it will get stuck, sometimes keeping the lures higher is better, with the bubbles and launchers, spoon shape leads, great for very shallow waters..

Kast master lures without the hooks. Can be use a weight or as a lead... the flashes will get more attention.. try it many times for menpachi fishing... I kinda get the same results as regular leads...? ..but I heard guys get great results doing this...

Aloha,