Menpachi fishing..Kona

Moderators: primo808, bluefinmod, 96743

kona-ulua-style
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Menpachi fishing..Kona

Post by kona-ulua-style » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:42 pm

There are lots of place to go for Menpachi fishing in Kona.. Some are really simple place one can go ( example Kailua-Kona Pier)

One place we like catch Menpachi's is in front of the Kona International Airport... taking a open 4X4 road... got few mean rough spots too..lift trucks is prize here..

My son went by himself last night ..got about 30 pieces... I am going in tonight with 3 people who "never fish for Menpachi's." to the same spot.. Full 'Autumn Moon" tonight, waves breaking 2-3 feet, low tide starting evening time... chance of getting wet is high...

Season for Menpachi is the same time as Kona Coffee picking season.... ( i gotta pick coffee too..lol) ...Menpachi is a night time fish...

Hope one day,... many of you who never fish for Menpachi's,will get a chance too... some place only need a Handpole...many need a whipping rod setup..

My set up is 10'-12' steelhead rods,,,,shimano stratic 4000 8lb main line, 1 oz torpedo lead, 1 1/2- 2" glow stick, scoungers 1 1/2glow blues, reds, green.. and Yamashit-* clear shrimp ( seems to be the best right now) almost every cast a hook-up, Leaders 6,8 or 10lb florocarbon lines..

This Yamashit SHRIMP..two sizes...both work SUPER GREAT! hook tail side..one will last all night.. CLEAR..no glows..I usually set up two rods... the bite will last only two hours or even less at times..You do not want to spend time re- tying lines.

Long cast, slow retreive ( do not want lead struck on bottom) just enough to keep it moving..

When the bite is on, hook-up on every cast... Whipping for Menapachi's... so much fun...

Aloha,

kona-ulua-style
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Re: Menpachi fishing..Kona

Post by kona-ulua-style » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:37 am

Results... return early last night, water was splashing a bit, fishable..

As soon as it started getting darker... We were getting bites on just about every cast... only the smaller size Menpachi was hitting..we just took home 8 due the sizes ..rest threw back..

The other guys.. lost a lot rigs.. we were spenting more time re-rigging...lol Sure enough 2 hours laters...the bite "stop"

Mike's 3 third fish... he "thought it got struck...seconds later...ZZZZzzzzz Ulua took it and scream the reel ..moment later, line cut... He had NO idea what just happen...

Note: Many local menpachi fisherman "prefer the smaller size Menpachi's... Deep fried crispy.. eat the bones,heads everything...great way to eat the small size Menpachi's ...almost like oama's deep fried...

I wanted these new guys to experience the taste of fried menpachi's .... so i told them only the bigger one's we will keep...

Deep fried fishes ( fried till it floats and fried a bit more) crispy...great for pupus..a meal.. One of the best ways to eat these small Nenpachi fish..the head, bones, everything...NO waste ........ (until you gotta go..)

Last night i try a new lure ...1 1'2 inches , Clear scounger with gitters ( seems like it had several kinds of shades of gitter) , got it at Oshima store ...every cast got a strike.. This is a new style of gitters - almost like a rainbow..never saw this one before..

Aloha,

kona-ulua-style
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by kona-ulua-style » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:23 pm

Went back to "Oshima Store ...to find name and brand,... Hawaiian Anger by Izuo - Name : GRUB size 1.5" color- CLEAR PRISM, QTY-100 ( Great for Menpachi's-) ...Also pick-up the 2" Clear Prism for day time whipping...

Very different from the Clear with SILVER, GRUB...

Hold the Clear Prism in the light...Nice ! can see blues, greens silver, reds... reflections...very attractive!

Aloha,

CasTnBlasT
Member 50+
Member 50+

Post by CasTnBlasT » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:52 am

Mahalo for sharing your info and setups for menpachi. Can you tell me what type of bottom and depth to look for?
I like the desert because it's clean...

kona-ulua-style
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by kona-ulua-style » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:29 pm

This is NOT an easy answer.... i try. ( type of bottom and depth)

Menpachi likes to live in a caves..for shelter and protection during the daylight... Meaning usually places that has lots of reef /rocks..

The Menpachi comes out when it gets dark to feed... many times will stay near there homes..before moving to feeding grounds.

Having a lantern often will bring the Menpachi to you and the lighted lantern can hold the Menpachis in your area...for some time...

The spots we fish at...bite will start as soon as it gets dark...bite like crazy for about two hours..before heading out to there feeding grounds..

We got bites right in front of us...super shallow ... When chasing your lures...( we notice.. the Menpachi hits the lures .and miss they will not chase , more often going back to safety of the deeper waters.. not always the case too..

Catching Menpachi with "hand poles"... super fun...Low cliff areas ..

Aloha, ....

CasTnBlasT
Member 50+
Member 50+

Post by CasTnBlasT » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:46 pm

Appreciate you taking the time to reply and share your tips,
Aloha
I like the desert because it's clean...