Suggestions ..Hook size for menapachi?

Moderators: primo808, 96743, bluefinmod

kona-ulua-style
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Suggestions ..Hook size for menapachi?

Post by kona-ulua-style » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:16 am

Just lately i have been missing a lot of menpachi's.. you feel the bite, a grab...then ..nothing..lots of misses.

Thru the many years of fishing for menpachi's, using handpoles and whipping rods...the AH/MZ hooks number 8 seems to be the go-to-hook..our all around hook.. gold,silver and the black..

It seems i may need to go to larger or different style of hooks..? ..maybe # 5,#6, #7 Ah or Mz?

Tokunaga fishing store, web site recommend using AH/MZ sizes 4-8 ...interesting to see hook size recommend for many different shore line species.. #4 AH seems very large for menpachi's...i am surprise to see #4..

Anyone out there..willing to share hook types and sizes.. Suggestions? for hook sizes , types to try?
to reduce the misses and more solid hook-ups?

Tokunaga do sell a "double hook" menpachi lures"...

another problem is rocks and reef below...longer rods do better here... lifting lures and fish up.. staying away from tripe hooks too..

Much Mahalos

melkapule
Member 50+
Member 50+

Re: Suggestions ..Hook size for menapachi?

Post by melkapule » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:43 am

When I started fishing for Menpachi I looked what was being used and sold at fishing stores. At that time most pre made lures used #4 or #5 limerick hooks. That hook size was also used by an old Japanese fisherman who befriended be, he has passed and was from Honokaa and we were fishing outside Kawaihae. A friend from Pahala also used the #4 limerick. Lastly, a friend from Kealakekua used the 189 baitholder, sized #4 and #2. He, like you mentioned, uses the Yamashita shrimp, both glow and non glow.

I like the limerick because of the large eye. Easy to get the plastic glow strands through and then tying off with thread.

kona-ulua-style
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by kona-ulua-style » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:44 pm

melkapule, Thanks... Limerick hook is use a lot for Menpachi flies, as far back as i can remember buying them ready made from Pearls Garden, and with great results too..

I saw some double hook flies also at Tokunaga's... this is next thing i would like to tried out...

O'doul hooks have been great for whipping as well as catching lobsters with hook and line...my flavorite hook for lobster fishing... need to re-supply with these hooks too..

Next thing is to experiment, and see what kind of results one can achieve here... using the various types of hooks and sizes... ..and have to see if it is the hook or the way i whip..? ...lol

Aloha, ...seeing red...is nice...Menpachis...

kona-ulua-style
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by kona-ulua-style » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:38 am

Last night we did a few hours of Menpachi fishing... caught a few...

The O'doul hook work very well... very sharp hook and many of the Menpachi's hook-up was on the hard part of the upper lips.. solid..
We did go back to the AH #7 and Bkn... so far hard to tell... what is the better hooks to use...

We notice catching hages...AH work better than O'doul's... I am guessing the more condense size of the AH hide the hook...o'doul is a bit longer in lenght..'s but did work OK..

Last the night the current was opposite of the norm... the bites' was on the slow side. small moon and it was a rising tide for us... Location- in front of the Kona International Airport.. cloudy, surf 1-2 feet.. still it was fun to go...home by 9:45pm..

Aloha,