New to whipping, how's my setup?

Moderators: primo808, 96743, bluefinmod

PerchiN

New to whipping, how's my setup?

Post by PerchiN » Mon May 22, 2017 10:18 pm

Aloha from Maui!!

Just got into fishing and I just wanted to make sure I was headed in the right direction. I'm really new to fishing so I'd welcome any suggestions!

I just bought myself a Daiwa BG 4000 today and I'm so stoked! I currently have it on a 7 foot Penn Captiva medium heavy rod with a recommended lure weight of 1/4-1oz. I figure I'd stick with this pole for now and upgrade to a better one later if I have to. I started off just whipping for smaller fish but I really want to catch some bigger ones now that I have a better reel. I wanted to throw out some mark white lures, SP minnows, and other lures like these and just wanted to make sure my set up could handle that I guess? I have my reel spooled with #30 power pro and I have some #40 mono to use with the lures.

What kind of knots do you guys use for this kind of set up? I've been only doing a simple improved clinch knot till now but I know I need to expand my knot game.

Thanks for all the help!!

poi
100+ Club
100+ Club

Re: New to whipping, how's my setup?

Post by poi » Wed May 24, 2017 2:36 pm

Your current rod is really a light game rod, suitable for really light jigs/lures and curly tails. If you throw lures over 1oz, you risk breaking it. I would try to get a longer rod, something in the 9'-12' range, and if you want to throw heavier lures, at least rated to 1-3oz. It'll give you a little more boosting power and you won't have to worry as much about it breaking on the cast.

30# braid for the mainline is perfect and you could run the 40# mono as your leader line, which should be at least 3'-5' long.

PerchiN

Post by PerchiN » Thu May 25, 2017 1:55 am

poi wrote:Your current rod is really a light game rod, suitable for really light jigs/lures and curly tails. If you throw lures over 1oz, you risk breaking it. I would try to get a longer rod, something in the 9'-12' range, and if you want to throw heavier lures, at least rated to 1-3oz. It'll give you a little more boosting power and you won't have to worry as much about it breaking on the cast.

30# braid for the mainline is perfect and you could run the 40# mono as your leader line, which should be at least 3'-5' long.
Thanks for the help!!

I grabbed a 7/8 oz SP minnow yesterday and practiced throwing it out, good fun...I do agree that I need to upgrade to a better rod soon. I was planning on picking up some 1/2-1 oz mark white lures tomorrow soon too. Is there a good budget rod you guys would suggest? I was looking at some ugly stik's since they are relatively cheap and I heard they are pretty strong.

How do you guys set up your rig for lures? Just tie um straight? I'm currently using a swivel and using a palomar knot to attach my braid and mono to the swivel, and then using a rapala knot to connect the lure to the mono.

5/26 EDIT:
I picked up some 1/2 oz MW lures and I'm super stoked to try um out! I had one more question though regarding drag...How much drag do you guys generally use when whipping? Like I said I'm pretty new to fishing and don't know how loose/tight your drag is will affect you when you do hook a fish. If you hook a fish and it's pulling line out do you just start to tighten the drag slowly? Sorry for the noob questions lol

Thanks for the help! Been reading a lot of this forum and it's helping CHOOOOKE!

tohei808

Post by tohei808 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:44 pm

How do you guys set up your rig for lures? Just tie um straight? I'm currently using a swivel and using a palomar knot to attach my braid and mono to the swivel, and then using a rapala knot to connect the lure to the mono.
I just got back into fishing after a 7 year break. I decided to make the switch to braid too and learned to tie the FG knot to connect the braid to my fluorocarbon leader. This way you can run the knot through the guides if you want to use a longer leader. I run mine between 3-4 feet but sometimes need to crank the knot into the guides for a cast when wading in waist deep water. The FG is super slim so you will barely feel it going through the guides. I tried other knots and they were too bulky and damaged or broke my guides. At the end of the fluoro leader, I tie a Tactical Angler clip because I like to switch out my lures often depending on the terrain and conditions. I tie the clip to the fluoro using an orvis knot because its stonger than most knots, super easy to tie, and the tag end points towards the lure so it doesn't catch as much limu when using subsurface lures.

I use a 9 1/2 ft medium light, fast taper rod rated for 10-30 gram lures which is about 3/8 to 1 oz. My reel is a Stradic 4000 with 20lb braid and either 20 or 40lb fluoro leader. This set up seems to be working pretty well for me so far.