post your catch...aaaloha!

Moderators: primo808, 96743, bluefinmod

wailuaboy89
Mega poster
Mega poster

post your catch...aaaloha!

Post by wailuaboy89 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:50 pm

:P postum up guys! its been a long time since i been on the forums and i figure this is a good ice breaker! lol
Last edited by wailuaboy89 on Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wailuaboy89
Mega poster
Mega poster

Re: post your catch!...Kaua'i only please...Mahalo

Post by wailuaboy89 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:09 am

ill start it off

i got a strike from an ulua that looked to be in the 18-26 pound range today whipping with my 5000 spheros and 9ft nitro medium, hit hard but didnt hook up! i was so bummed after that so i took a break since it was raining and after about 10 minutes i tried again, whipped it str8 out one time then along the ledge the 2nd time and i wasnt expecting anything to happen but all of a sudden line was peeling out of my reel and zipping through the water (most exciting moment of whipping yet!), i had my drag set up for maybe papio/omilu in th 3-5 pound range so i had to tighten it quite a bit, boy let me tell u that buggah was pushing my pole and reel to the limits! fought it for about 5 minutes and got it to turn my way a couple times by using some "mana" but it got close to the ledge and it gave the famous "im too close" run and took off to the right and all i felt was limp line...fck!!! i was so scared that it was either gonna bend the hook or cut line on rocks, ended up being a bent hook that threw the fish, changing hooks tomorrow! haha, best fight and biggest omilu i ever hooked up to yet, looked and felt like it was atlest 13 pounds, also missed A LOT of omilus ranging from 3-6 pounds

so yeah REALLY bummed that those got away to be caught another day, but i got these guys so it was satisfying enough lol

i love seeing fish in their natural environment so i watched these guys swim around in tide pools for a little while before letting them go, that electric blue gets me everytime lol

critter
Member 25+
Member 25+

Re: post your catch...aaaloha!

Post by critter » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:46 am

Nice Catch Wailua!!
Looks like da Omilu's are running.

wailuaboy89
Mega poster
Mega poster

Post by wailuaboy89 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:16 pm

mahalo braddah man

yeah that day was the craziest day of fishing i had yet, sooo many strikes and misses and chases it was ridiculous, i went the day after and it was the TOTALL OPPOSITE, i only got a couple chases and barely strikes, seen another ulua/omilu in the 13-20 pound range but he payed no attention to my lure

shryguy
200+ Club
200+ Club

Post by shryguy » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:35 pm

plugging action east side. catch and realease 11 papio this past few mornings(6yesterday 5 today 7 total tagged) ranging 2-7lbs and 14-23 inch fork lenth .we kept a 6lbr cuz he inhaled the plug and the treble ripped out the gills. had countless papio/ulua chasers,strikes and misses.this morning for a 20 min span had chasers every cast. hooked one about 4lbs at the same time my friend casted right behind and right when the lure hit the water boom a smaller papio hooked up and we had a double, when i landed mine 3 papio where following 1was good sized one about 8lbs. was fun couple of days. for those of you who whip poppers you know you can go days weeks even months without a chase or strike and when you finally do the bugga bucka loose or cannot stop em lose choke lure$$.but when u get action it makes all da whitewash worth it :D now i just waiting for a 40 pounda!

Last edited by shryguy on Mon May 31, 2010 7:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

bait tossah
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by bait tossah » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:07 am

das some nice size whites

aloha,
"jus got lucky"

shryguy
200+ Club
200+ Club

Post by shryguy » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:05 pm

couple more screemas from this weeks dead winds days. T&R
snaggles

wailuaboy89
Mega poster
Mega poster

Post by wailuaboy89 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:07 pm

ahhhhhhhhh i hate u! lol, nah

s*** brah nice whites, i miss catching whites, only omilus i been catching for over a year!

i had that plug but wasnt red and white it was silver, mean action but it got smashed by a monster ulua and dat *f*** took da lure wit him :? , its either that yozuri or my pilis if im pluggin

what conditions were u fishing in? just a guess but it looks like you fishing by a river mouth or in some kinda brackish water? that would explain why u hookin up to so much whites, that other lure, silver... a yozuri? looks like a mullet, must produce by the rivers ah

shryguy
200+ Club
200+ Club

Post by shryguy » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:11 am

wailua, the conditions were glassy ,winds were dead, the tide was low going high and the moon was full .we go at 4:00am before sunrise and had some hookups in the moonlight. a rivermouth was nearby and baitfish was plentyful and getting wacked all over the place. i went this morning and it was windy so i threw some pilis and mw lures but nobody was home.

wailuaboy89
Mega poster
Mega poster

Post by wailuaboy89 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:59 pm

mean, ill keep that in mind, so u werent actually in the river? moonlight strikes???WOW thats pretty nutz

critter
Member 25+
Member 25+

Post by critter » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:34 pm

Whoa Shryguy--SOLID Catches!!
Shry is that a med-hvy rated pole or just med? Same set up from the Diamond head catches (omilus)?
You and Wailua getting all the action-Keep it up guys!!

shryguy
200+ Club
200+ Club

Post by shryguy » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:24 am

critter wrote:Whoa Shryguy--SOLID Catches!!
Shry is that a med-hvy rated pole or just med? Same set up from the Diamond head catches (omilus)?
You and Wailua getting all the action-Keep it up guys!!
i use a 9ft med outcast gt rated 12-20lb test paired with a stradic 5000 w 20-30test braid and a okuma evx 8-9ft med(omilu dh setup) i pair it with a okuma vs65hs the evxmedhvy is actually hvy and made for surfcasting the med is cheep version of the shimano tiralejo with x grips,im8 graphite,good backbone, line rating 15-30lb, 1-4 oz lure and feels well balanced . im confident i could land a 30-40lbr on this set up depending on the grounds, .I also use a med-hvy austrailian jigging rod from viva that can land the bigboys. mahalos and safefishing ,aloha
Last edited by shryguy on Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shryguy
200+ Club
200+ Club

Post by shryguy » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:56 pm

friends first ulua 12lbs inhaled the plug.i missed one about 20lbs :x

jaybri
Super Poster
Super Poster

Post by jaybri » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:56 pm

wow! das one ONO looking fish riiite der! right on guys. oahu yeah?
"Luck favors the prepared."

critter
Member 25+
Member 25+

Post by critter » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:50 pm

Shry, do you change the size of the treble hooks on those plugs (Yozuri Hydro Poppers)?
Early morning/East side again? Another SOLID catch, congrats to your fshn' ptnr!
Keep on pluggin, Aloha!!