post your catch...aaaloha!

Moderators: primo808, bluefinmod, 96743

kona-ulua-style
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Re: post your catch...aaaloha!

Post by kona-ulua-style » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:21 pm

Hello youngy, Thank-you for sharing the photos and stories,

It is nice to see other places, like your home ..way down south side...

Keeping up the fishing... and keep up posting more pictures too...

Hope fully some of us here? ..will get a chance to fish there someday..

Much Aloha

PS: It is amazing how fast we can received your post from all way there to here...LOL,

youngy
100+ Club
100+ Club

Post by youngy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:11 pm

Hi Kona, thanks mate, love the way you think of Australia, "way down south side".

I was made welcome to your Islands by some of the members of this site and if ever someone was coming to my part of Australia and wanted to go fishing i would gladly take them.

We may live in different countries but we are all fishermen, we have booked our holidays for next year over there and look like going to the Big Island for a week this time as well as Oahu.

Looking forward to having another go at your Bonefish on Oahu, good fishing to you all, cheers wayne

deepkona
Big Time Poster
Big Time Poster

Post by deepkona » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:31 am

Aloooha youngy,
Nice catch man...!!!
Those Trevally are what we target here in the isles just in case you did not know. Yours looks more like the "Big-Eye" variety we occasionally catch over here besides the neon blue O'milu and GT's.
I'll PM you on your Big Isle trip.....
Mahalos,

youngy
100+ Club
100+ Club

Post by youngy » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:29 pm

Thanks mate, yes we just call them Big Eyes.
Late afternoon into the nighttime predator over here, very aggressive and fast.
Look forward to any advice about Big Island, although will be more tourist than fisherman over there.
Will save the fishing for those Oahu Bonefish, although i could be talked into having a go on the Big Island, cheers wayne

kona-ulua-style
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by kona-ulua-style » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:40 pm

We refer them "big eye" Jacks... to as Menpachi Uluas'.... Often caught with Menpachi's...usually deeper water places, and many times these Menpachi Uluas are in schools...

Often times these menpachi uluas, will bite the menpachi lures...giving you a great fight on these lighter outfits...
and are very good eating too...

Aloha, A very good looking fish too...lol

WaianaeKasta
Super Poster
Super Poster

Post by WaianaeKasta » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:13 pm

Nice Pics guys. Mingo love the color shots still haven't tried the fly rod yet, one of these days.

youngy
100+ Club
100+ Club

Post by youngy » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:02 pm

Hi guys, a couple of fish from an early morning trip yesterday, cheers wayne

keale
100+ Club
100+ Club

Post by keale » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:03 am

Nice fish mate! LOL...I fished in Austrailia 25 years ago while in the U.S Navy. We right above Perth, about an hour away. I met a guy on the beach and he invited me to fish... we used bait, and I don't know what we caught, but his wife made some great fish and chips! Oh yeah and that cider ale you guys have aint that bad either!

youngy
100+ Club
100+ Club

Post by youngy » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:23 pm

Hi Keale, thanks mate i live on the other side of Australia at the Gold Coast, i am glad you enjoyed your time here it is a great place.

I find it very similar to your country, friendly people and a great lifestyle, my wife would actually like to move over to Hawaii, cheers wayne

Mingo
Member 50+
Member 50+

Post by Mingo » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:02 pm

youngy wrote:Hi Keale, thanks mate i live on the other side of Australia at the Gold Coast, i am glad you enjoyed your time here it is a great place.

I find it very similar to your country, friendly people and a great lifestyle, my wife would actually like to move over to Hawaii, cheers wayne
Youngy, my wife's rellies all live on the Gold Coast; her uncle used to own Hervey Bay Resort and her mum was from Lismore. Maybe you're related to her ha ha ha......cheers mate!

youngy
100+ Club
100+ Club

Post by youngy » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:56 pm

Mingo, i think that's one of the many things i like about Oahu, it is such a small island you can go fish any part of it you want quite easily.

Our island is so big i have never even seen most of it, Harvey Bay is a fantastic place to live with many great fishing opportunities, even more than where i live on the Gold Coast.

I think you and your wife should head over this way for a holiday, you would love the fishing, cheers wayne

BruceAlmighty
100+ Club
100+ Club

Post by BruceAlmighty » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:27 pm

I got lucky this past Wednesday and would have posted this sooner but compressing the picture to fit this page is such a hassle. It came in at 52 lbs on a certified scale and 41.5" from fork to head.

BaitBallah
200+ Club
200+ Club

Post by BaitBallah » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:16 pm

That is an AWESOME catch! Good job! How was the strike & fight? Congrats!

BruceAlmighty
100+ Club
100+ Club

Post by BruceAlmighty » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:43 pm

Thanks Ballah... The whole event was unreal. I was paying attention to the lure and watched this thing come up and inhale it. I think I was in shock for a few seconds because when it started to pull the line, I looked down and said to myself "he's hooked! HE'S HOOKED!!!" I immediately set the hook and it took off like a rocket, straight out to deeper water. I looked at the reel and I knew I had to add more drag or this ulua was gonna spool me. I turned on the drag pressure and as soon as it started to slow down, I knew... I have a chance! I would work the pole, pick up line and it would make a strong run and I would have to start all over again. He would go side to side as I was fighting him in and I eventually managed to time the waves and bring him in on the rocks.

castmaui
Member 50+
Member 50+

Post by castmaui » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:29 am

Congrats on that one!! awesome fish bruce what was your set up ?