Share your Whipping Tag and Release

Moderators: primo808, 96743, bluefinmod

deepkona
Big Time Poster
Big Time Poster

Re: Share your Whipping Tag and Release

Post by deepkona » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:36 am

F.B.I.,
Years ago......'70's, 80's, when we caught a Wahanui, we would eat them. Actually pretty good to eat, snapper family of fish like the deep sea variety which cost $$$ at the fish markets.
Today....no-way....ciguatera...!!! Wahanui, po'uo, roi....absolutely catch and RELEASE...!!!

Fun fish to catch though if the gear is like 10 lb. test, light set-up.
Hey, at least you have a legacy...."Caught the one and only yellow faced Wahanui in Hawaii with pictures to prove it...!!!
Mahalos,

Mingo
Member 50+
Member 50+

Post by Mingo » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:30 pm

deepkona wrote:F.B.I.,
Years ago......'70's, 80's, when we caught a Wahanui, we would eat them. Actually pretty good to eat, snapper family of fish like the deep sea variety which cost $$$ at the fish markets.
Today....no-way....ciguatera...!!! Wahanui, po'uo, roi....absolutely catch and RELEASE...!!!

Hey, at least you have a legacy...."Caught the one and only yellow faced Wahanui in Hawaii with pictures to prove it...!!!
Mahalos,
I agree, Wahanui are awesome fish on light tackle. I've caught quite a few on flyrods and they put up a pretty fierce battle on the light stuff! one of my buddies eats 'em...I won't touch them. I don't want Cig!

kt
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by kt » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:57 pm

deepkona wrote:F.B.I.,

Mahalos,
I am against needless killing. I even put back ballon fish. I believe if you're not going to eat it, throw it back in the ocean. However, for the Roi, I would not put that fish back. That fish is not good for the other fish in the environment. On the tv shows, they say that Roi is very aggressive and it can affect the surroundings and other fish population. That one fish, I would not throw back.