Hobie Mirage Drive Kayak

Moderators: primo808, bluefinmod, 96743

ozone
Member 25+
Member 25+

Hobie Mirage Drive Kayak

Post by ozone » Wed May 16, 2012 7:43 pm

Has anyone tried the Hobie Mirage Drive Kayaks for fishing? Pro/Cons? Just trying to get some feed back on this kayak and the drive system. The model I was looking at is the Hobie Mirage Revolution 11, would appreciate any feedback. Thanks

O'Salt
Super Poster
Super Poster

Re: Hobie Mirage Drive Kayak

Post by O'Salt » Thu May 17, 2012 5:43 pm

The Hobie Mirage is a neat invention and I am sure that many people like it especially fishing in lakes and ponds but for me I opted to go with the regular paddles. I fish saltwater flats a lot and some guys I know have had issues in the shallower water. I bought the Hobie Quest and had it outfitted for fishing complete with a fishfinder. The only thing I added was a set of outriggers for more stability as I do a lot of photography from it. One great boat. What I would suggest is that where ever you buy it from make sure that you try it before you buy it. All the shops here all allow you to try it so in any case that you do not like the feel you can choose a different boat.

Happy Catching

Paul
http://www.mainlandstudio.com
Mainland Studio
Landscapes, Seascapes, and all things Marine

ozone
Member 25+
Member 25+

Post by ozone » Thu May 17, 2012 6:33 pm

Paul,

Thanks for the feedback, I've paddled before but never tried the mirage. I know the Hobie dealer in Kailua has some demo models to try. Thanks again!!

O'Salt
Super Poster
Super Poster

Post by O'Salt » Fri May 18, 2012 3:50 am

Good Luck, take your time in choosing the right boat as they are not cheap any more. It would be a shame to buy just because and not like it later on. One good thing is that you can troll and hold the rod at the same time with the Mirage which is pretty cool.
http://www.mainlandstudio.com
Mainland Studio
Landscapes, Seascapes, and all things Marine

10ozgrabba
Big Time Poster
Big Time Poster

Post by 10ozgrabba » Wed May 23, 2012 9:14 pm

I have the Hobie Oasis tandem with the Mirage drive. Paddling with your feet and having your hands free to jig, tie rigs etc.is a plus there's no going back to paddling by hand for me. also, you cant beat the speed especially in any kind of wind. I do wish it was a bit wider. every kayak should have a rudder IMO, helps with tracking tremendously. try b4 you buy even if you have to rent one from someone.
Last edited by 10ozgrabba on Wed May 30, 2012 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ozone
Member 25+
Member 25+

Post by ozone » Thu May 24, 2012 11:12 am

Thanks for the feedback guys, I pretty sure Windward Boats rents the Hobie Mirage.

buga808

Post by buga808 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:42 pm

Adventure island is the yak to get!! Fish in Maui on it and its badd *** esspecially withe the sail kit!