Jigging pole?

Moderators: primo808, bluefinmod, 96743

uplandhawaii
200+ Club
200+ Club

Jigging pole?

Post by uplandhawaii » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:47 pm

Hey guys I just started fishing of my kayak. I'm slow on the water and really not into trolling lures or live bait. I want to whip and maybe jig by the buoys. Any suggestions on a jigging rod? I plan to use a bg30 for jigging.
HOW much is that to ship to Hawaii!!!???

ronumhard

Re: Jigging pole?

Post by ronumhard » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:24 pm

A word of advice is just start simple and then see what works the best for you then expand on that. I started out with a black beauty 2 combo which they sell at walmart and has worked fine till now. I catch alot of small game with this one and keep it strictly for that. you never know what surprises the ocean holds. Your next cast could be the big buggah. But that sounds like a good set up to use. Let me know how it works out for you.

uplandhawaii
200+ Club
200+ Club

Post by uplandhawaii » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:52 pm

Thanks, I've seen that pole at Walmart. I ended up getting a 7' UglyStik from Tokunaga's since I had won some gift cards from them. According to them a lot of kayakers like this as an all around rod. I'm also using a 6' shimano rod with a shimano sienna 2500 that I bought from Walmart for my son so I can whip into the reef area's. Once I get the hang of it I may use my better shore whipping gear but like you said I'll try it first and see.

Hopefully I'll have some pics next time to post. :wink:

ronumhard

Post by ronumhard » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:12 pm

man, you lucky you live on B.I. I love tokunaga store and j. hara. I used to live keaau couple of years ago and at that time wasnt that much into fishing. Had I been, I would still be living there now. upland, do you kayak fish in the harbor inside the break water? If so how's the fishing? heard get plenty sharks in there.

uplandhawaii
200+ Club
200+ Club

Post by uplandhawaii » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:07 pm

I was in Hilo bay today dragging live a'hole holes. Caught two papio's, had a tough time though. I flipped twice and couldn't get my rhythm. Off day I guess, I need to re-think my kayak setup, I had a hard time getting back on with my gear in place.
When I practiced self-rescue my kayak was unloaded, it makes a difference loaded up. The uglystik was over kill, I think I'll buy another cheapie 6' rod to play in the bay.

I've seen a lot of hammerheads but they don't really bother. I never fished off a kayak but I have paddled the bay. I'm going to stick inside where its pretty flat till I get used to it. I do realize now I over geared for fishing, when I dumped I was certainly glad everything was tethered to the kayak. I think I'm going to take the minimalist approach to kayak fishing as opposed to how I shore fish. :lol:

uplandhawaii
200+ Club
200+ Club

Re: Jigging pole and more

Post by uplandhawaii » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:41 pm

As an update, I upgraded from my Scrambler because I kept rolling it. I ended up with a much wider tandem Malibu 2 for me and the kids and a Big Game Prolwer for solo action. Still using the Uglystick rod with a BG90 for dragging live bait and a Okuma Avenger 7' rod and extended jigmaster for trolling. I also carry a 6' Walmart special with a US Reel Supercaster 230 for catching bait and whipping. Haven't had much luck lately catching anything but there's some action out in the deeper water that I want to try. Been paddling for a few months and I think I'm ready for blue water near shore instead of in the bay.