pole for penn 950

Moderators: primo808, 96743, bluefinmod

kriptikracing
Member 25+
Member 25+

pole for penn 950

Post by kriptikracing » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:41 am

wassup all! I was wondering what pole would you guys recommend for a penn 950? I just bought one specifically to fish when I go with my bro on his kayak. The line I'm gonna use is 50# powerpro with 30# ande for backing. Thanks for any help!

bait caster
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by bait caster » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:46 am

are you going to whip or troll?

If troll, buy one of those Cheapy 7' Aku Rods Sports Authoriyy sells, they are really really flexible.

If I was you I would but mono o top of the power pro, if you take a big strike , the Power Pro might dig into the Mono and cut it.
There is no "I" in "TEAM", but there are 2 in "IDIOT" and "IMBECILE"

kriptikracing
Member 25+
Member 25+

Post by kriptikracing » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:58 am

bait caster wrote:are you going to whip or troll?

If troll, buy one of those Cheapy 7' Aku Rods Sports Authoriyy sells, they are really really flexible.

If I was you I would but mono o top of the power pro, if you take a big strike , the Power Pro might dig into the Mono and cut it.
well...mostly troll and bottomfish. Who makes that pole you mentioned? What ratings should I look for? Would an uglystick be ok?

hmmm...never thought about the powerpro cutting the mono. Is the line pound test ok? Would I have to go bigger on the mono if I put in on top? What if I just go straight powerpro?

sorry for all the questions...but I do appreciate the help!

Slydbaita
200+ Club
200+ Club

Post by Slydbaita » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:54 pm

Walmart carries the 7' Penn power sticks, good bang for the buck. Make sure you get a pole long enough to allow you to manuver(sp?) your line around the bow and stern of your yak.

kripsak
100+ Club
100+ Club

Post by kripsak » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:12 pm

7' to 8' rod should do, and line weight 15lb to 25lb. 30lb test mono should be good enough to land just about anything.

I've got a 9' ugly stick, and if I had to change how I kayak fish, I would get a 8' ugly stick. I don't like to kayak and whip, my arms are just a little to tired at times to paddle then whip. Just like you said, bottom and trolling is your best bet to catch.

You'll definitely have a blast out there 8)

kriptikracing
Member 25+
Member 25+

Post by kriptikracing » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:00 pm

kripsak wrote:7' to 8' rod should do, and line weight 15lb to 25lb. 30lb test mono should be good enough to land just about anything.

I've got a 9' ugly stick, and if I had to change how I kayak fish, I would get a 8' ugly stick. I don't like to kayak and whip, my arms are just a little to tired at times to paddle then whip. Just like you said, bottom and trolling is your best bet to catch.

You'll definitely have a blast out there 8)
Yup, I've been having a lot of fun despite not catching anything. Well...I almost caught a huge manta ray with about a 8' wingspan. I had my line down then out of nowhere the ray appears and swims directly into my line. I franticly haul my line up but the bugga is swimming too fast and I was scared the hook would snag'em so I had to cut the line. That would've been a mean fight. We've been out 3 times now and no luck. I'm hoping sooner than later we can hook a mahi or uku...or anything than a hagi.

click on the link...I've been looking at that pole. What you think?

http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/ ... age=family

kripsak
100+ Club
100+ Club

Post by kripsak » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:16 pm

That ugly stick tiger should do, just make sure when your sitting down in the yak, the rod should have a little clearance over the bow of the yak. That rod seems a little lighter than the classic ugly stick rods.

Just in case a fish is circling under your yak, and the line might rub against the bow of your yak.

Hope that makes sense :oops:

Palolo Fisherman
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by Palolo Fisherman » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:33 pm

50# test braid is a little heavy for a 9500. A couple of big fish and your gears will be ruined. If it doesn't, you didn't use the powerpro to its full potential anyway so you might as well go with something lighter. Like baitcaster said, go with 30# mono on top and the powerpro backing. Even 50# test mono on top might be better because at least the line stretches putting less strain on your gears. The next time you buy a reel, get a conventional like Daiwa, Shimano, or Penn made for 50# test line.
For rods, just make sure the guides can handle braids even if you are going to use braids only for backing. Braids can groove ordinary guides pretty quick.

kriptikracing
Member 25+
Member 25+

Post by kriptikracing » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:32 am

ok...I'm gonna go with the 30# test mono. I was looking at sports authority yesterday and noticed that Ande had several types of mono. I forget the exact numbers but they had 30# test mono in 1/4 and 1/2 pound. Anyone know what that 1/4 and 1/2 pound means? It was displayed at the bottom of the label.

bait caster
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by bait caster » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:18 am

kriptikracing wrote: Anyone know what that 1/4 and 1/2 pound means? It was displayed at the bottom of the label.
that is the weight of the spool of mono you are purchasing.
There is no "I" in "TEAM", but there are 2 in "IDIOT" and "IMBECILE"

kriptikracing
Member 25+
Member 25+

Post by kriptikracing » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:05 pm

just bought my pole. It was a cheap one but looked pretty good. It's a Roddy Hunter and it feels and looks like it's made exactly like an ugly stick clear fiberglass tip and all. 7' and rated for 15-40lb test line. It also said \"By Penn\". Penn bought Roddy Hunter? Not bad I think for $35...that's half the price of an uglystick.

kripsak
100+ Club
100+ Club

Post by kripsak » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:19 am

Thats the black and blue pole right?

kriptikracing
Member 25+
Member 25+

Post by kriptikracing » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:00 am

kripsak wrote:Thats the black and blue pole right?
actually it's the typical uglystick colors...black/yellow/red

trm

Post by trm » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:53 pm

I got these super cheap shakespeare sturdy stiks from McCully Bicycle for $20. I like um a lot. Not too long, stiff and sensitive enough to feel the bite when bottom fishing. I've landed lots of small game on these(nabeta, ta'ape, and lots of weke). I've used a similar model pole on our boat and it handles 25 pound aku and small mahi.