Kayaks and shorefishing

Moderators: primo808, 96743, bluefinmod

Shinchan

Kayaks and shorefishing

Post by Shinchan » Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:46 pm

Aloha! I have used kayaks to fish from and set baits while shorecasting. Sometimes I'll set my pole in the pole holder, set the drag really light and attach the line to my kayak. Then I'll paddle off and find a nice channel, drop off or sandy spot beyond my casting range and put my bait there. I think by scouting and actually placing the bait where its likely that a predator will find it results in more hookups. Also you get a feel for the terrain when you fight the fish. I also catch moano and other fish for bait while jigging in deeper water and slow troll them back in towards shore. Works well, caught a bunch of papio, uku, kaku and this morning a 13 lb kahala off of Diamond Head. Try it, it gives you another option while shorecasting.

just an observation

kayaks

Post by just an observation » Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:35 pm

Why not just fish from a boat since that's what you're really doing? If you got a bigger boat and went farther out, I'm sure there are bigger and better fish to catch for catching's sake. Plus there would be less chance of losing a fish to the coral reef. Besides, you wouldn't need as much line. Where is the challenge of learning shorecasting techniques if you can simply use a boat to bottom fish, then rush back to shore to reel it in... atleast you can look like a shorecaster, right? How about then bragging to everyone who will listen of how many fish was caught shorecasting (oops, forgetting to mention swimming/kayaking line out).

I try very hard not to judge other people's actions, but sometimes it's not very difficult to see the humor in human nature. Maybe, the person really needed to catch fish to feed a family, or maybe there was somekind of handicap that restricted casting. Who knows? Anyway, with all of the swimming and kayaking out of lines that I have seen in the last few years, it is no wonder why I qiut entering shoreline fishing tournaments. I have come to realize that I can only be responsible for my own actions, and that cheaters cheat without guilt (the same as why liars lie - it's an individual's chosen path).

The bottom line still remains... No one owns the ocean, and we all fish the way we want to. Only when there's no more fish or what remains are only sparce amounts do people really start to pay attention to what others are doing. Does this sound familiar? Conservation? Banning nets? Restricted access? Tag and release programs?

These are just my oponions as we all choose what we want to believe or disbelieve. That's the beauty of individual choice, just like choosing between right and wrong. We all discern the diffenrence between the two yet often times choosing the right way proves difficult. Remember, we all can only really be responsible for ourselves and the choices we make individually. There's no sense getting all worked up about others who march to a different drum, or for those who only care about self preservation. Eventually, we all do what we gotta do, and things tend to work out oneway or another. But until then... Just try to enjoy the sport, after all, fishing is suppose to be fun!!! just an observation... :o

Good subject

Post by Guest » Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:36 am

Hi,
I think I read you the first time, too many repeats, could you downsize alittle.
I'm already getting a headache :?
I think the kayaking thing is cool.
I was fishin out Lanikai and caught some good size papio on a dawn patrol I just brought my tiny spinners for the hell of it and was futting around with shrimp and all.
And out comes this guy with a Kayak and one fishing pole with a big spinner on it.
He goes out for a few hours and comes back with 3 big papios in his bag.
I guess you'll say that go farther out you catch bigger fish and you get plenty of places to go compared to shoreline.
But until I can afford one of those kayaks, I'll just deal with what I got for now.
Fm

Good subject

Post by guest » Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:37 am

Hi,
I think I read you the first time, too many repeats, could you downsize alittle.
I'm already getting a headache :?
I think the kayaking thing is cool.
I was fishin out Lanikai and caught some good size papio on a dawn patrol I just brought my tiny spinners for the hell of it and was futting around with shrimp and all.
And out comes this guy with a Kayak and one fishing pole with a big spinner on it.
He goes out for a few hours and comes back with 3 big papios in his bag.
I guess you'll say that go farther out you catch bigger fish and you get plenty of places to go compared to shoreline.
But until I can afford one of those kayaks, I'll just deal with what I got for now.
Fm

Post by Guest » Sat Sep 18, 2004 4:59 pm

:lol: Look who's talking about repeats. :lol: Sorry, just kidding around, was too funny to pass up.

island driver
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by island driver » Tue May 31, 2005 9:01 am

I checked on the leeward coast shores from Kahe to Yokohama and was suprised at the amount of guys that were using Kayaks down at Yoke's. Had at least 3 large groups of fishermen and they were kayaking their lines out. I would estimate that each group had at least 10 poles. What next, using boats to get their lines out? Don't get me wrong, I am not really against this practice, not like it would matter to anyone what I think, but what is next? I think that the guys that actually use kayaks to fish from are ok, but to pull the line out, drop it far and pinpointed, then fighting the fish from shore seems like cheating. Might as well go diving and spear one fish, hook it on your line, and pull em up with your pole. Maybe i'm just jealous that I don't have a kayak, NOT. 8)

okabs

Post by okabs » Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:36 pm

I dont understand what you all think is cheating about kayaking your lines out. You could similarly do the same thing by just swimming it out with mask and fins if you wanted to. Nobody is forcing the fish to bite your line, and just because you kayak it out, does not mean fish will bite it either. Hell if you got the energy to paddle yourself out, then more power to you. Im lazy and would rather cast just cause i still catch fish anyways. I just hope these guys have someone to watch their poles when they are out in the sea...cause if he hooks up and nobody is there to fight um...

NoAkuBirds
200+ Club
200+ Club

Post by NoAkuBirds » Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:47 pm

okabs wrote:I dont understand what you all think is cheating about kayaking your lines out. You could similarly do the same thing by just swimming it out with mask and fins if you wanted to. Nobody is forcing the fish to bite your line, and just because you kayak it out, does not mean fish will bite it either. Hell if you got the energy to paddle yourself out, then more power to you. Im lazy and would rather cast just cause i still catch fish anyways. I just hope these guys have someone to watch their poles when they are out in the sea...cause if he hooks up and nobody is there to fight um...
swimming/kayaking lines may not be cheating in the truest sense of the word but it does increase your odds. in fact, if you go up and talk story with some of them about their technique theyll be the first to tell you that they have a pretty big advantage over slide guys...one of the regular swim out guys at black point told me how he used to slide bait some 10-15 years ago, but as the fish started getting scarcer and scarcer he eventually resorted to swimming out his lines and has gotten far better results this way and now this is the only way he fishes.

okabs

Post by okabs » Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:55 pm

NoAkuBirds- I understand your point and i do feel that it is unfortunate that the reduced fish stock is forcing many guys out there to re-evaluate their methods of fishing. I also feel however, that there are other options available to fishermen instead of the regular old routine. One simple solution is perhaps moving to different locations instead of pounding the same area where fish are decreased. On the big island when i was growing up, we definitely had our spots that we loved to fish at, be it didn't mean we kept fishing there. We always let our spots rest, so it keeps producing and feeding the ohana.
In concern for the kayaking, it also should be noted that not everyone is swimming baits out. Majority of ulua guys are slide baiting and will always slide. There are just new methods people have thought up to help them produce. To say this is unfair, is like saying all the guys at south point on the big isle that utilize \"trash bag\" methods to get their lines out are cheating too.
I no mean for make a big fuss over this cause its really not a big deal. I was also raised by going for uluas with slides, and i know how much hard work and pride is involved with the sport, and its all the more worth it when you hook up the big one the honest way. Take care and good luck! :)

island driver
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by island driver » Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:51 am

I was just suprised that there were 3 separate groups, about 30 guys in all, doing the same thing at the same time in the same area. 8)

franky
200+ Club
200+ Club

Post by franky » Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:15 pm

I fish on the west side and seen many people using the juice jug method. I think they are letting it float out there bait like the trash bag method.

I'm talking about over 10 - 15 poles all lined up with the manlolo juice syrup jugs. :o

NoAkuBirds
200+ Club
200+ Club

Post by NoAkuBirds » Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:43 pm

franky wrote:I fish on the west side and seen many people using the juice jug method. I think they are letting it float out there bait like the trash bag method.

I'm talking about over 10 - 15 poles all lined up with the manlolo juice syrup jugs. :o
those are the rigs the swim out guys use. they use a rig that consists of a juice jug with a long leader and leadline. they swim the line out and dive down to anchor the lead with the bait (hanging below the jug). most of these guys use live bait almost exclusively and they use the jug to keep the bait away from the rocks and hanging in midwater. the guys ive seen out at black point use the exact same rig, and they also put reflector tape on the jug to make it easier to seee at night if they hook up or something.

koji

Post by koji » Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:50 pm

I think kayak fishing is just another way to fish. Whether it be shorecasting, boating, diving, etc., each is unique and fun in its own way. The main thing is that everyone respects the ocean and its resources which ever way they choose to fish....pretty much take what your going to eat and release the rest. I go shorecasting as much as possible and also own a kayak rigged up for fishing. I haven't used it much, but when I do go, it's fun and \"different.\" Otherwise, my kayak is used for family outings at the beach. I never really thought about using the kayak to tow out a line.....that would be choke gear to bring on an outing.

takecaredaaina

Re: Kayaks and shorefishing

Post by takecaredaaina » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:32 pm

Eh guys kayak If you like but no keep going to the same spot over and over and catch 10 ulua in one night can you eat all that? Try catch some and release um give one other bradaa one chance pretty soon no mo ulua at that spot kaena

takecaredaaina

Re: Kayaks and shorefishing

Post by takecaredaaina » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:37 pm

Oh forgot I caught ulna paddling out along time ago it was a nice 65ib but I cast now and every ulna I caught casting feels like a real trophy more work and skill thanks to the brad as that went share there skill