Hammerhead stink eye

Moderators: primo808, 96743, bluefinmod

mikmac

Hammerhead stink eye

Post by mikmac » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:51 pm

I finally got out on my prowler 16 on May 31st after a long dry spell. I launched at Kailua and headed out to the bird island. After passing the island and heading towards Moku Manu, I saw a brownish object in the water. At first I thought it was a stingray, but as I got closer, saw that it was a good sixed hammerhead shark. The shark passed by on the left side of me and as it did, it tilted its head so that it could give me the stink eye. That freaked me out and I reeled in my lines so I woudn't hook up to it. It kept going so I reset my lines and headed towards Moku Manu. Just before the island, I took a screamer. I saw that it was a big aha just before it came off. I continued to the island and paddled around a bit then headed back. I took another screamer in the same area as the first strike and saw that it was an aha again. After a good fight I brought it in and released it because I didn't want to deal with its teeth. No strikes the rest of the way in but it was good exercise and an interesting paddle.

k1 designz
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Re: Hammerhead stink eye

Post by k1 designz » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:07 am

:lol: :lol: stink eye ?! wow should told um what bra :lol: :lol:

nah,right on mikmac !
welcome to the forums and don't forget the pictures catch and release ones too!
i think we need more pics here to show that fishing isn't "waste time" like some people think.
still gotta try!!
Nomo nating .....yet !

VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by 44808 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:06 pm

Suckin hammerheads :lol: . I've seen a few sharks that just sit there while trolling by, normally they get spooked by the engine but not some of these random ones. I trolled past a huge tiger running the ledge off chun's the thing was just sitting there :o biggest one I've ever seen in my life. Mokumana got it's fair share of sharks.....not too sure I'd wanna f-l-i-p the yak over there :? :lol:

Were you running bait or lures?
Rippin' lips

mikmac

Post by mikmac » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:42 pm

I had an opelu and a yozuri lure out. The opelu was giant and I didn't get any strikes on it. The aha struck the lure both times. I usually turn sideways in the kayak with my legs dangling in the water when reeling in my lines or drifting, but not that day.

evbouret
100+ Club
100+ Club

Post by evbouret » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:05 am

Wow, you're braver than me if you really sit side saddle in 40 fathoms.

The only time I huli'd was off the kailua buoy. Scary stuff, I didn't think I could ***p it back over and jump back in that fast. Adrenaline rush!

mikmac

Post by mikmac » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:17 am

Definately not braver. I guess I never really thought about it much before. I did have another encounter with a good sized shark off Kahana bay. I was bottomfishing and took a big strike. I was towed around for about 20 minutes and not able to regain any line. I was hoping big ulua when the line slacked. I started reeling like crazy and could feel something was still on. I was looking over the side when I saw a big shape coming up from the depths. As it got closer to the surface, I realized it was a big shark. It swam to the surface on the left side of my kayak, swam under my kayak, then went back down to the depths when it got to the right side of my kayak. I cut the line once I knew it was a shark. The funny thing about this was that since I couldn't gain any line and didn't know what it was, I would have kept fighting it. I guess the shark got tired of dragging me around and swam to the surface to show me who it was knowing that I would cut the line and it could go back to whatever it was doing.