YAK CATCH PICS

Moderators: primo808, 96743, bluefinmod

10ozgrabba
Big Time Poster
Big Time Poster

Re: YAK CATCH PICS

Post by 10ozgrabba » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:39 pm

caught this ahi yeasterday trolling live opelu.

Pete_in_Hilo
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by Pete_in_Hilo » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:33 pm

10ozgrabba wrote:Image

caught this ahi yeasterday trolling live opelu.

Sweet. How far out were you? First time I went kayak fishing on Maui,
we were a mile of Makena Landing....and ran into two Tiger Sharks attacking
a turtle. Only other time I did it, I was HUGGING the coastline. :lol:

Would like to get one of my own though. Nice catches you been getting.
Now on Maui. Choose your nickname wisely....

The reason I fish is because I like to experience the fish. I want to see them, hear them, smell them. - Larry Dahlberg

10ozgrabba
Big Time Poster
Big Time Poster

Post by 10ozgrabba » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:26 pm

Hey Pete, got him about a quarter mile from molokini. I dont usually like to go out that far but with no wind and epic water, I had no choice but to chance um :D Buddy system always for sure. even small game damashi get action in 100 feet, and off Makana it don't take long to be out in that depth.

Pete_in_Hilo
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by Pete_in_Hilo » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:34 am

10ozgrabba wrote:Hey Pete, got him about a quarter mile from molokini. I dont usually like to go out that far but with no wind and epic water, I had no choice but to chance um. Buddy system always for sure. even small game damashi get action in 100 feet, and off Makana it don't take long to be out in that depth.
Wow, that's out there. We were using the buddy system, but so were
the sharks :lol:

We were dropping for Nabetas out there in about 100 ft. Good grounds.

The reason I fish is because I like to experience the fish. I want to see them, hear them, smell them. - Larry Dahlberg

WAIEHU
100+ Club
100+ Club

Post by WAIEHU » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:13 pm

Ho mean the action! Nice one 10oz!

amorous86
Member 25+
Member 25+

Post by amorous86 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:15 pm

I kno that these might not be impressive to most anglers... but dis was my first catch on a Kayak!! The weke was from damashi... and the moano was from whipping. Cheeee!!! Caught them at sand Island....

Started yak-ing just this month, still a newbie. So... any other kayakers out there that might wanna give a braddah some tips on catching some "advanced" fish? Don't get me wrong... catching weke is fun and satisfying already... but where can I go to get the better fish, and what kine rig should I be using??

Pete_in_Hilo
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by Pete_in_Hilo » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:06 am

amorous86 wrote:I kno that these might not be impressive to most anglers... but dis was my first catch on a Kayak!! The weke was from damashi... and the moano was from whipping. Cheeee!!! Caught them at sand Island....

Started yak-ing just this month, still a newbie. So... any other kayakers out there that might wanna give a braddah some tips on catching some "advanced" fish? Don't get me wrong... catching weke is fun and satisfying already... but where can I go to get the better fish, and what kine rig should I be using??

Install a rod holder on your kayak, buy some floating swimmer lures like the 4" yo-zuri crystal minnow, and troll it 30-50 yards out behind
you while you paddle along. I only did this once, and caught a nice sized Kawele'a....and some slimy stickfish :?

Good way to go after more aggresive "gamey" fish.

elnadagsen
Member 25+
Member 25+

Post by elnadagsen » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:39 am

amorous86 wrote:I kno that these might not be impressive to most anglers... but dis was my first catch on a Kayak!! The weke was from damashi... and the moano was from whipping. Cheeee!!! Caught them at sand Island....

aawww snap braddah! nice 'swimming' day yeah! we go monday?

amorous86
Member 25+
Member 25+

Post by amorous86 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:02 am

elnadagsen wrote:

aawww snap braddah! nice 'swimming' day yeah! we go monday?
For sure boss!

10ozgrabba
Big Time Poster
Big Time Poster

Post by 10ozgrabba » Wed May 23, 2012 9:24 pm

you should start by taking the fish you caught in the pic, putting a live bait hook in its nose and free lining it in 50 to 100 feet of water. and hang on to your pole tight :D

Pompano86

Post by Pompano86 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:53 am

10ozgrabba
Big Time Poster
Big Time Poster

Post by 10ozgrabba » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:29 pm

Nice Oio! how was the fight?

Pompano86

Post by Pompano86 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:45 pm

only the 2nd time hooking up to one o'io from my kayak...make the mistake of tightening my drag too much, didn't realize how strong it was. Almost tipped my boat, so I had to loosen again and tire it out. A few minutes fighting it... probably one of the best feelings in the world when you hear your reel screem, then the thrill of fighting it to the end. :D

ronumhard

Post by ronumhard » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:29 am

Testify, to one of the best fishing outings to date. Good job partner.