Worth getting a kayak??

Moderators: primo808, bluefinmod, 96743

alphadog808

Worth getting a kayak??

Post by alphadog808 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:52 am

Hey guys,
I was thinking about getting a kayak to try and do some easy whipping and dunking. I figure I could troll too, as I go from place to place..;) The question is, is it worth it? Do you catch? It's pretty hard to catch fish from shore these days, I figure if I can get further out and whip from there, good things might happen..;)

I was thinking about starting with that cheap Costco kayak; any thoughts on that one?

Thanks,
Jon

gtfkns
Member 50+
Member 50+

Post by gtfkns » Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:59 am

You should try to rent one first. Try Go Banana's if your on oahu, believe its on kapahulu... If you actually have the intention of buying a kayak they will let you pick which kayak you want to buy and they will let you demo it for free.

alphadog808

Post by alphadog808 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:07 pm

Yah, I've been to Go Bananas before...not bad...I know what you're saying, but I just wanted to get some opinions of those who already have kayaks and fish...to see if it's worth it.

gtfkns
Member 50+
Member 50+

Post by gtfkns » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:31 pm

If your aren't on a budjet, jetski would be an option also.

alphadog808

Post by alphadog808 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:01 pm

Yah, I've heard of guys doing that, but one thing that attracts me to kayaks is the low maintaince...Just shoot um down with water and pack it away...I figure there is more upkeep(motor, electrical, gas, trailer). Yah, money is a factor too, but the sheer \"hassle\" makes me think a kayak might be a better fit.

Lawai'a
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Kayak fishing

Post by Lawai'a » Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:56 pm

Check out Hawaii Fishing News starting in May or April they started running a series on Kayak fishing but it is more for blue water fish. I have a kayak and find that if you are not fit it is hard to go trolling as you have to constantly have to paddel to keep your lure moving. Also do not go out alonetry to find someone who is willing to go with you. Safety in numbers.

A better use for a kayak is to use it as a whipping platform or to bottom fish while drifting.

If you are serious about getting a kayak one thing you should look at before buying a kayak is storage. I think yhe one at Costco does not have any storage capacity for your equipment. A fishing kayak should be able to store equipment away in the body of the kayak.

alphadog808

Post by alphadog808 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:30 am

Lawai'a,
I was actually planning/hoping to do more whipping and bottom fishing rather than trolling. I figure I could just troll on my way out to the spot or if neither of the 2 above were working that day.

I hear you about safety in numbers...but doesn't seem like anyone I know is interested in it...funny tho, I hear of alot of guys going out by themselves...I don't think they go past the breakers tho...

The only other thing that bothers me is the fact that it's \"possible\" to get into shark problems out there...bait/fish out there and that guy can easily tip you if he wants...

Thanks for all the help!

Lawai'a
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by Lawai'a » Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:51 am

Alphadog808

When you start out from the beach try a set up with a floter and some cut bait like ika. The floter keeps the bait off the reef anf helps in not getting the hook stuck.

Even though you are not planing to go beyond the breakers, when bottom fishing most kayakers go out channels and still have the possibily of a rogue wave. As far as sharks the will usualy come around if you are chuming alot. Sharks will only attack boats if provoked like when they are chasing a hooked fish and dont let then have the fish. I have hers of sharks jumping in to a boat chasing a hooked fish or even bitting the boat.

As far as finding people who are intrested check with Go Bananas or Two Good Kayak in Kailua they may know some people that go out regularly.

Leoric
Member 50+
Member 50+

Post by Leoric » Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:20 am

I am just curious as to what you guys do to keep yourselves from tipping over the kayak while fighting a big fish. Peace.

Lawai'a
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

kayak

Post by Lawai'a » Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:09 pm

Leoric:
Most kayaks are hard to tip over it balanced right (no water sloshing around in the kayak to tip balance) Some kayaks are wider and harder to tip over. I have a scupper and it is hard to tip over.

lawaia808
Mega poster
Mega poster

Post by lawaia808 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:38 pm

i was also thinking of getting a kayak. the tipping factor was my biggest problem. since i wanted a model with a smaller foot print so i dont have too much resistance when im paddlein. i also heard you can wear flippers and stick your feet over the sides? was gonna use it for getting out a little further for oios and papios. any other methods on preventing tips? the other concern was current and drifting out too far.

kona-ulua-style
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Take a look?

Post by kona-ulua-style » Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:59 pm

Hello, In the June (2005) of Popular Mechanics on page 35 it has a nice article call \"upgrade\" It shows a Hobie Mirage Sport Fisherman ($1399), Kayak design for the fisherman. (kayak)

It has a MirageDrive pedals that are connected to two underwater flippers for propulsion and rudders for steering and lots of storage and pole holders,drink holders, cooler holder,etc... Plus petal with your feet while your hands are free to fight the fish. Also comes with hand pedals.(same style as for all kayaks).

This one is worth looking at before you decide what you want. This is a fun way to fish from the crowds and you can go anywhere. You are not limited to the kind of fish to catch either.....go for it....enjoy.....Aloha

Moi-Hunter
100+ Club
100+ Club

Post by Moi-Hunter » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:59 am

kayak's are the s***! My friends and I use um to send out the lead and flag lines to get it further out from shore, thats if you can't cast that far. They come in very handy.
I like Moooooooooooooooi!

morninchew
Member 25+
Member 25+

Post by morninchew » Sat May 05, 2007 10:51 am

kayaks are the bomb. I catch twice as much fish as I do in my boat. Any body have advice for trolling for big papio or ulua? in a boat or kayak? Thanks, Morninchew :lol:

Slydbaita
200+ Club
200+ Club

Post by Slydbaita » Sun May 06, 2007 11:10 am

morninchew wrote:kayaks are the bomb. I catch twice as much fish as I do in my boat. Any body have advice for trolling for big papio or ulua? in a boat or kayak? Thanks, Morninchew :lol:
I love my kayak too!! Rapala's, opelu, and ballywhoos work well for the ulua's. I tend to bottomfish more than I troll. Dang those tasty uku's!!!!!!!!