Lead weight

Moderators: primo808, 96743, bluefinmod

DisFutcha
Member 25+
Member 25+

Lead weight

Post by DisFutcha » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:41 pm

Hey guys might go fishing this weekend i wanted to know how heavy of a lead i should use.... I have a 12' daiwa beef stick with 20lb main ( reel isnt rated for anymore than that... Will upgrade later) gonna use the "three way swivel rig". (Sorry i dont know what the proper term is)... Also how heavy of a lead line to use... Thanks

Bolo I'a
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Re: Lead weight

Post by Bolo I'a » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:47 pm

i would use 4oz with that setup
LUCK is what happens when PREPARATION meets OPPORTUNITY
<*)))><

DisFutcha
Member 25+
Member 25+

Post by DisFutcha » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:19 pm

Thanks for your help... How heavy of a lead line should use?

kona-ulua-style
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by kona-ulua-style » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:50 am

NO hard rules... Fishing with 12' Diawa beef stick with 20lb test line... On Sandy beaches you may want to go with 15lb test lead line-mainly because you will get your lead back more often.. 10lb-12lb is OK too...
On rocky/reef areas-maybe a lighter lead line like 10lb- 12lb test lead lines- since you will be breaking lines more here..or even 8lb.. Depending on how hard of a caster you are...

Weight of lead... lead line test weight... heavier lead..more poundage maybe needed..? NOT always... again NO hard rules...

Harder casters may use a heavier lead line vs Softer caster... also tip or ratings of fishing pole- heavier ratings- usually will need a heavier lead line...?

Shape of leads... like pyramid leads..require more pulling to get out of the sand..because it buries itself with the wave actions...Need a heavier lead line vs bank shapes..?

Also...brands using...We usually go with cheaper brands- hopefully they will break under the rated weight line on the spool or because it is made cheaper and will break quicker..? NOT always...

If using heavier baits...requires more effort to throw...may need a heavier lead test lines too...

Mainly under 15lbs test lines should be ok and NO lighter than 8lbs is what we would try...here...

Best to experiment..what works for you and the place you are fishing at... Waves and wind also can make a factor what size lead lines you will be using too..

NO clear answers... Hook lines...test weight..can be a factor too... most guys will use a heavier hook lines-depending on what is being tarketing... making breaking lines more difficult..or losing main lines... NOT only the lead leads lines need to be consider- terrain and all the other factors..

We like to dunk and we use many different reels/line test... even for us... it changes...all the time...

Aloha, ..Please let us know..what works best for you...? Prices of lead today- everyone wants to use as smaller leads when possible...making poundage of lead lines smaller...? NOT all the time... experiment... and maybe start with 10lbs first..?

PS: Tie one end of 10 lb test line.. out to about 4 feet and pull ..you will be surprise how much effort it takes...? casting style..can be a factor too...

DisFutcha
Member 25+
Member 25+

Post by DisFutcha » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:05 am

Thank you for the help

Jerrizo

Post by Jerrizo » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:31 pm

Yea like kona said, it all depends as most fishing strategies goes.
I fish at channels quite a bit, so many times I use a 3oz lead. My setup is similar to yours, 20 lb main and 25 lb leader. My lead line is usually 10-12lb test and 3-4oz lead depending on wind conditions and such. Just use lightest weight possible that will keep weight on bottom and line tight. Gl!

Bolo I'a
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by Bolo I'a » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:08 pm

don't be afraid to use the same size lead line as your main line. the trick is to use a stronger knot on your main line (ie. Palomar vs improved clinch). i do this with extra line left on spools or old line when respooling.
<*)))><

DisFutcha
Member 25+
Member 25+

Post by DisFutcha » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:12 pm

What knot would you for your main line and what knot would you use for lead line?

BraddahRednek
100+ Club
100+ Club

Post by BraddahRednek » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:25 pm

Not sure how others feel about this, but I think a regular swivel works pretty good for dunking. I tie my lead line to the same eye that my main line is tied to, and the hook line to the opposite one. If I use a short lead line (~6 inches) and the leader is about 12-18 inches, the rig seems to work pretty well w/out a lot of twisting. Just a thought, for what it's worth. Good luck!

DisFutcha
Member 25+
Member 25+

Post by DisFutcha » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:47 pm

Ive seen this before but never actually tried it out might have sample it some time

Bolo I'a
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by Bolo I'a » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:05 pm

DisFutcha wrote:What knot would you for your main line and what knot would you use for lead line?
i'd probably use uni knots to the swivel and then a surgeon's loop to secure the lead.
<*)))><