Your choice of fishing conditions!

Moderators: primo808, 96743, bluefinmod

Jerrizo

Your choice of fishing conditions!

Post by Jerrizo » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:13 pm

I know good fishing depends on a lot of factors such as tide, moon/sun phase, wind, etc.
I am curious to what is everyone's desired fishing condition if fishing for a 4 hour period if sunrise at 6am, sunset at 7pm (summer)?
LIke the time of tide (high/low etc), moon phase...etc

My personal favorite would be high tide about 8pm, so I fish from 5pm-9pm with full moon.

Just curious to what is everyone else's favorite? :mrgreen:

BraddahRednek
100+ Club
100+ Club

Re: Your choice of fishing conditions!

Post by BraddahRednek » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:26 pm

My big factors are wind, and light...I like just before/after sunrise and sunset. Of course I like low wind because it's easier to cast, and paddle if i'm in my kayak, and because I can spot the fish easier.

What about the weather.com fishing forecast? Or other similar fishing forecasts?

Pete_in_Hilo
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by Pete_in_Hilo » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:01 am

I like to start fishing just a bit before low tide, and watch the action pick up, like
someone flipped a switch, as soon as the tide starts rising. Not always the
case, but seen it enough.

If you can get this to match up with sunrise of sunset, it's golden.
Now on Maui. Choose your nickname wisely....

The reason I fish is because I like to experience the fish. I want to see them, hear them, smell them. - Larry Dahlberg

Jerrizo

Post by Jerrizo » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:18 am

So you're saying a low tide around sunset (7pm) would be good? Meaning you like the first few hours of the rising tide even though the highest will be approx 2am?
Just curious and wondering if I understood it correctly. :oops:

cb671
Mega poster
Mega poster

Post by cb671 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:07 am

I like to start to fish(dunk,slide) a few hours before high tide depending on certain spots also and for daytime/nighttime whipping on the reef/shelfs I like the minus tide and either new moon or no moon...and I like the water a bit Rough/Choppy when dunking/sliding....Spearfishermen tend to stay in thats why lol

f8ldzz
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by f8ldzz » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:31 am

Sunset / sunrise regardless of tide or moon...
It seems that all hell breaks loose with the low light conditions with the spots I hit.

limu
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by limu » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:17 am

I like to fish 6 hours before peak high and 6 hours before peak low. Repeat several times during trip. :D

Pete_in_Hilo
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by Pete_in_Hilo » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:36 pm

Jerrizo wrote:So you're saying a low tide around sunset (7pm) would be good? Meaning you like the first few hours of the rising tide even though the highest will be approx 2am?
Just curious and wondering if I understood it correctly. :oops:

Sorry, missed this post. I like any low tide, any time of day. It's the first hour of the rising tide
that sees a lot of action. In general, you want to fish a rising tide. No matter how deep the water,
the fish have a self preservation instict that kicks in when the tide is sinking.
They tend to move to deeper water, and feed less. I don't think there's anything
special about the high ride itself though.

This is my general opinion based on what I've seen. People catch fish in all kinds
of tides, and all times of day. My preference though, is to fish when the tide begins
to rise. If I'm sliding, that's when I want to have bait.in the water. For something like
whipping plugs, I'm less certain as to which I would choose: early morning, or rising tide.
Preferably, I'd like to have both coincided.
Now on Maui. Choose your nickname wisely....

The reason I fish is because I like to experience the fish. I want to see them, hear them, smell them. - Larry Dahlberg

madgyver
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by madgyver » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:13 pm

Best time to go fishing is when you got fresh Tako available for bait. That's the main condition.... and area that you fish is safe.
uluakane wrote: What is this Ulua fishing community coming too?
Duh....

oio
100+ Club
100+ Club

Post by oio » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:23 pm

i always like fishing on the full moon or 5 days after the full always work the poles 2 hours before the change tide till 2 hours after that gives you at
least 4 hours to work it.that works best for me :D

kona-ulua-style
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by kona-ulua-style » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:47 pm

Best choice for fishing conditions? So many of us will consider these conditions, nice weather,surf,tides and moon phases! Another very, very important fishing condition that is not mention too often? Is the water temperatures. Warmer ocean waters means more catches, colder water temperatures means less catches?

You will always hear fisherman say, the fishing action was 'hot" when they catch lots of fishes, or the action was "cold" when less bites.

We usually look at our baits, feel the baits and notice over time, cold baits means 'less catches" or none!

We all should start measuring the temperatures of the sea water in front of us and find the best range of temperatures for fishing and when it is not so good too!

Anyone got any gauges or tools that will work for salt water fishing?

Stay warm my friends, till the fishing gets 'hot"!

Aloha, Ever fish with a "hot head"? not so much fun! this is when a colder head person is more fun to fishing with! Not sure of head colds?