Whipping

Moderators: primo808, 96743, bluefinmod

ehhow
Member 25+
Member 25+

Whipping

Post by ehhow » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:03 pm

Been wanting to whip but wasn't sure on what line to use. I usually use mono, but read about Copolymer, Fluorocarbon and braided. Can anyone give any advise on what to use, pros and cons. Just looking to kill time while dunking maybe catch bait also. Thanks!

somewere_over_their
Member 25+
Member 25+

Re: Whipping

Post by somewere_over_their » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:24 pm

just use whatever you got, mono does the job fine and its pretty easy to work with. recently started making the transition from whipping with mono to braid and i like it a lot more that mono though. thinner line means smaller reels and less weight, cast a lot better, and you can feel whats happening on the end of the line better but that's just my opinion. either will do the job

ehhow
Member 25+
Member 25+

Post by ehhow » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:00 pm

Thanks somewhere for the quick response. Do you need a glove to cast or bare hand is ok for casting? What kind brand braid are you using?

somewere_over_their
Member 25+
Member 25+

Post by somewere_over_their » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:52 pm

i personally don't use a glove, haven't had the need to yet. i guess its a preference thing. for braid i'm using just regular powerpro with a short mono length of mono spliced on

f8ldzz
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by f8ldzz » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:06 am

Equipment is usually dicated on how much money you're willing to spend...
Mono is typically use cause it's cheap.
Copolymer is something new, and it's typically a little bit more expensive than regular mono.
Braid is the rage for a few decades now, because it's a lot stronger when compared to the same size mono diameter - typically about 3x?
Braid also has zero memory - this is a plus for most people.
The downside of braid is it's very expensive...

As for gloves...
It depends on if you fingers can handle what you're throwing...
Using thin lines and braid can slice fingers if you're not careful.
Also, extended sessions - where we're talking about hours and hours of whipping - will hurt.
Going for big fish is almost going to necessitate gloves, cause we're dealing with high test braid + insane line tensions + throwing BIG heavy lures...

ehhow
Member 25+
Member 25+

Post by ehhow » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:58 am

Thanks f8ldzz! Looks like I'll just use mono cause its cheap.