Help with a Research Project

Moderators: primo808, bluefinmod, 96743

Epy00n
Member 25+
Member 25+

Help with a Research Project

Post by Epy00n » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:13 pm

Hello,

I'm Greg Burgess, a Graduate Student in Information and Computer Sciences at the University of Hawaii at Manoa. I'm conducting a survey for a class project, and would like your help. My project is investigating user how user identity translates between multiple forums in a niche community, and how users decide which forum(s) to use. I am neither affiliated with ulua-fishing.com, nor with iFishHawaii.com, and neither site is sponsoring this research. I do however, have accounts on both forums, and regularly read both. The forum administrator has given me permission to post this survey.

I would appreciate it if you filled out the following survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/9Z5ZDV8. Please keep in mind that my goal is not to diminish the reputation of either site, but rather to understand what users value most in an online community.

Thank you,
Greg Burgess

Below is a copy of the "Agreement to Participate" statement given on the first page of the survey.

Agreement to Participate in
“Parallel Forums within Niche Communities: User Identity and Preference” Research Project

My name is Greg Burgess and I am an Graduate Student in Information and Computer Sciences at the University of Hawaii (UH). I am conducting a project to investigate how user identity translates between parallel forums, and how users decide which of the parallel forums to use. I am asking for your participation in this project, because you are member of one or both of these communities.

Activities and Time Commitment: If you agree to participate, follow the given link to an anonymous online survey. The survey will take about five minutes to complete. You will be asked about your opinions on the parallel forums, your use of the parallel forums, and your identity across the parallel forums.

Voluntary Participation
: Your participation in this project is voluntary and you may withdraw from participation at any time, up to the completion date of this survey, which is expected to be 5/1/2013. During the survey, you can choose to not answer any question with the exception of the first question.

Benefits and Risks: There is no direct benefit to you in participating in this research project. However, your participation will contribute to the understanding of online communities. I do not believe there is any risk to you for participating in this research project.

Privacy and Confidentiality: Results from this survey will be aggregated and used in a research paper entitled “ Parallel Forums within Niche Communities: User Identity and Preference.” I do not believe any data used will be personally identifiable, and any personally identifiable responses received will not be used. Individual responses to questions might be phrased is: “One user who used both forums noted that ...”. Aggregate data might be phrased as “53% of respondents indicated that ...”.

Questions: Please contact me, Greg Burgess, at gburgess@hawaii.edu if you have any questions regarding this project.