first conventional setup

Moderators: primo808, bluefinmod, 96743

urusaibob
Member 25+
Member 25+

first conventional setup

Post by urusaibob » Mon May 06, 2013 8:25 pm

hey gang,

i recently bought a convention reel and rod ( tallus M/H and penn Fathom 40 spooled #50 big game)

how does everyone setup for bait casting?

right now i just tie up a 2 way/2way swivel i got from nanko. using #30 lb leader line throwing 5/6 oz weights and #40 hook line hook

do i add a rub line to my mainline? if so what # line? how long etc?

leader line is that good? or should it be higher?

hook line i know is under weight not sure what am suppose to run but depending on the hook sizes right? i dont have any really large hooks probably only up to 8/0 circle..

thanks

LightTackle
100+ Club
100+ Club

Re: first conventional setup

Post by LightTackle » Mon May 06, 2013 11:34 pm

Hello urusaibob,

What fish are you targeting specifically? Ulua? Papio? Oio? Anything goes?

What types of grounds will you be fishing and will you be fishing during the day or night?

Setups can vary quite a bit depending on these factors.
Tackle light, better fight.

By releasing a fish today, you increase your odds of catching a fish tomorrow.

BigJon555
Member 25+
Member 25+

Post by BigJon555 » Tue May 07, 2013 8:58 am

Tallus and fathom 40, nice gear for first time setup. Congrats. Generally speaking, 30lb lead line should be fine, I have yet to crash a rod when baitcasting a 6oz with 30l lead line (knock on wood). Just mask sure you check the lead line on recasts, if you're luck enough to not bankrupt everytime you check bait

urusaibob
Member 25+
Member 25+

Post by urusaibob » Tue May 07, 2013 6:23 pm

Thanks,

yeah i figured if am going start a new hobby i mind as well jump head first and get some decent equipment so at least it last me a while.

i usually fish at night typically or whenever i know someone going out to fish i tag along. mostly the usually spots we tend to check out on Oahu. am pretty much fishing for whatever will bite and hook up but i really want to catch a good size oio or papio/ulua. as for bait i usually have ika strips or fresh eel strips since thats the only thing ive been able to catch but now and then i do get tako as well.

LightTackle
100+ Club
100+ Club

Post by LightTackle » Wed May 08, 2013 1:15 pm

Urusaibob,

Since you are not targeting ulua specifically, here's what I would suggest for baitcasting based on your previous response.

Hook Size: Anywhere from 24 to 30 (These are the Maruto BKN sizes.)
Leader ("Hook line"): Anywhere from #80-#150 lb test
Lead line: #40 lb test
2-way swivel is good.
Lead: Tallus M/H with 50 lb test mainline means 6 or 7 oz lead to me.
Rubline: If casting distance is important where you fish, the grounds are not too rocky, and you're not targeting ulua specifically. I honestly don't think you need a rubline :o If casting is not so important, the grounds are rough, and you honestly want to target ulua, then put a section of #80 or #100 lb test rubline. I like to make mine long enough so that when I'm about to cast a few wraps of the rubline are around the spool, so like a 15 ft rubline, but this varies with everyone. If you keep the rubline out of the spool casting will be better.

I hope this helps.
-LightTackle

LightTackle
100+ Club
100+ Club

Post by LightTackle » Wed May 08, 2013 1:20 pm

Honestly though, the way one rigs up their pole can vary quite dramatically based on the fish they are targeting and the places they are pounding, and in my opinion there isn't really a one size fits all baitcasting setup. So keep this in mind and try to fine-tune your setup based on what fish you are after and what grounds you are working.

urusaibob
Member 25+
Member 25+

Post by urusaibob » Wed May 08, 2013 6:42 pm

Thanks for the tips...

Kumu
Member 50+
Member 50+

Post by Kumu » Tue May 28, 2013 9:48 pm

LightTackle wrote:Honestly though, the way one rigs up their pole can vary quite dramatically based on the fish they are targeting and the places they are pounding, and in my opinion there isn't really a one size fits all baitcasting setup. So keep this in mind and try to fine-tune your setup based on what fish you are after and what grounds you are working.

X2
Better to be blunt and have people judge me,
than to lie and have god judge me.

urusaibob
Member 25+
Member 25+

Post by urusaibob » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:40 pm

how do i add a rubline to my main line? and how much yards? like wrap around my spool 3-4 times plus length of pole?

i added like 2 yards and my knot is between guides while casting which killed my distance alot am i suppose to add more length to my rub line?

also what know is best? i used a uni to uni for 50 to 80lb test line and it was pretty thick knot. i couldnt do it with 150lb test though

Kauaiboi808
100+ Club
100+ Club

Post by Kauaiboi808 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:58 pm

urusaibob wrote:how do i add a rubline to my main line? and how much yards? like wrap around my spool 3-4 times plus length of pole?

i added like 2 yards and my knot is between guides while casting which killed my distance alot don't i suppose to add more length to my rub line?

also what know is best? i used a uni to uni for 50 to 80lb test line and it was pretty thick knot. i couldnt do it with 150lb test though
How do I add rubline to my main line? Learn how to tie a bimini twist and use that knot for your main line then combine your rubline to the bimini twist with an albright knot. Rub line length.. I make mine about 5 -6 feet long(ulua dont come bigger than 5 feet). The best knot to join rublines is joining your bimini twist which is your mainline then albrighting your rubline to the bimini twist... only use uni to uni when you want to add more mainline to your spool and never for joining rublines.

Aloha!
Must catch first ulua... Must catch first ulua...