reccomended tie down rope length?

Moderators: primo808, 96743, bluefinmod

Kauaiboi808
100+ Club
100+ Club

reccomended tie down rope length?

Post by Kauaiboi808 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:01 pm

What is the reccomended length of a tie down rope?

Thank you!
Must catch first ulua... Must catch first ulua...

Brian F.
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Re: reccomended tie down rope length?

Post by Brian F. » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:11 pm

Depends on how far away the tie down point is and what it is (i.e. - big rock, spike, ring?). Once you know that, some people like to keep it taught while others leave it slack laying on the ground. Some people feel keeping your tie down rope taught helps support the rod on a big strike. The tie down point would have to be directly in back of the rod for that to work. Others feel keeping a taught line creates a tripping hazard, especially if there are a group of poles set together (like going through a spider web if your pole is in the middle). Some guys bring a long tie down (10-15 ft) wherever they go so they are sure to have enough length for different conditions and just keep the excess coiled and secured if they don't need it.
Aloha,
Brian F.

"No House, No Fish"
"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"
http://fishtoday.org (the views expressed above are my own and do not specifically represent that of PIFG)

deepkona
Big Time Poster
Big Time Poster

Re: reccomended tie down rope length?

Post by deepkona » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:27 am

Brian F. wrote:Others feel keeping a taught line creates a tripping hazard, especially if there are a group of poles set together (like going through a spider web if your pole is in the middle)
Like Brian states, keeping your ropes tight to your poles can create a tripping hazard, especially if there are multiple poles sharing a small location.
A lot of times when the bells starts ringing and the reels starts singing, we wake from a dead sleep and the scenario is to typically grab your headlight and RUN TO YOUR POLE...!!! I would hate to think what would happen if this scene played out on a high Big Island cliff face and someone tripped on the pole tie down ropes and fell into the ocean AT NIGHT...!!!

Possible solution: I found(and bought) braided rope from Sportsmans Guide THAT GLOWS IN THE DARK when charged with light. My intention was to use it to tie down tents to sand/rock spikes to help prevent tripping hazards.
The braided rope is of OK quality, not as good as braided ropes used on sailboats and stuff but it was cheap. 3/8" Dia. x 50' was like $17.00 a couple years ago. Good enough for pole tie downs but the rope surface will get frayed on a'a lava.
Mahalos,