slide bait rig

Moderators: primo808, 96743, bluefinmod

polebendah808

slide bait rig

Post by polebendah808 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:13 am

i just wanted to know how much test lbs should the line be that connects the stop ring to the weight. if the line is to small it will snap if i cast it, if the line too thick idk if the weight will cut from the stop ring when da fish whack the bait and the fight is on. idk pls help i new to all this

kt
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Re: slide bait rig

Post by kt » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:29 am

It all begins with.....How much pound test is your mainline?

polebendah808

Post by polebendah808 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:43 pm

my main line on my penn 113hlw has 60lbs test line and 100lbs test braid backing.

kt
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by kt » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:07 pm

In that case,

I'd go with either 40 lb test mono. You can also use 50 lb test mono.... for me, I use 40 lb test. I using one 8 ounce lead.

Sometimes, I use 45 lb test squidline.

kona-ulua-style
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by kona-ulua-style » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:09 pm

OK.. Most slide bait fisherman..uses 80lb mono main line , with 50lb lead lines (Big Hawaii) and some will use 40 lb test lead lines.

Some casters are hard casters (snaps lead lines) , these guys use up to 60lb lead lines, and other softer casters..and can use a little as 30 test lead lines
Some guys use squid lines (cords) or 6 inches of squid line (cord) connected to lead lines..Cord side is tie to the lead it self..

Always tie the lead lines to bottom swivel , closest to the stop ring... ( we perfer NOT to tie it the ring it self) ..don't want the ring to bend out of shape or break- there are cheaper made ones sometimes..

If using 60lb mainline..? We would go with 40lb test lead line.

If what you are using now works..? Stay with it!

Aloha, The learning never ends...and we can always learn new styles and ways to improve too...

polebendah808

Post by polebendah808 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:53 pm

@kona so if i use 40llbs test line for my lead line the line would just snap then fight is on? or do i have to pull it when the bell go off
Last edited by polebendah808 on Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kt
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by kt » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:57 pm

[quote="polebendah808 If i use 40llbs test line for my lead line the line would just snap then fight is on?[/quote]

Exactly!

Malloebloodline

Post by Malloebloodline » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:47 pm

I just started ulua fishing and I've Ben using 20lb lead line with the basic swing cast and haven't broke my lead line yet on a cast. But then again I'm using a MH nitro with a penn squall 50ld but it has 60lb test mainline. My pole just more softer for when I cast.

Don B
Mega poster
Mega poster

Post by Don B » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:15 pm

I have been able to use 30# mono with 8 ounces and get good distance. The cast had to be very smooth and progressive. Used mostly 40# mono due to safety concerns.

http://www.donstacklehawaii.com/information/imp.htm

If you triple a 20# line the breaking strain will approach 60#. The above link shows how to do the rig.

You can replace the clip with TP.

If you make the line 6 feet long, grab the line 2 feet above the sinker and double it. Push the loop through the sinker and then through stopper ring. Put TP through the loop after it goes through the stopper ring. The line should now be 3 equal lengths that are each 2 feet long and the TP is keeping the loop from slipping back through the stopper ring. Depending on the size of the swivel, the doubled line can be passed through the swivel (bottom side). The line can be caught if the top ring of the swivel is used.

f8ldzz
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by f8ldzz » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:39 pm

I've never been a big fan of using mono as lead line.
When you use mono as lead line, if the mono fails on the cast, it tends to snap when you're loading the rod - the worst time.
This causes a nasty crash as you swing the rod forward. :(

I used to use "squid line".
Most of your local fishing stores carries this stuff - I usually go to McCully Bike.
They make 27# and 36# (and more higher rated ones - 45#, 54#, 63#, 72#), which goes good with most baitcasting set-up's.
Since you're using 60#, you can use 36# no problem or higher.
I've never had too much trouble breaking 36# squid line when gloving to jack up.
A fishing mentor told me about the squid line: the squid line breaks when you have constant pull on it @ breaking strength like when jacking up; it doesn't break on a quick tug like on a quick cast.
I've never had the squid line break when loading the rod.
It tends to break before that - because I too lazy to check it - or snaps somewhere on the release on a birdnest.
You just gotta be diligent about checking the squid line before every cast - if it looks frayed, change it!

I've recently changed to madgyver's HECO 9-strand wax line.
Got a bunch off eBay before the price went up.
Good stuff, and easy to use as the strands measured 10# per stand, so I just adjust to my set-up...
4 strands for when I throw 40#...5 strands when I throw 50# or 60#...