Beginner need advice for surf spinning reel

Moderators: primo808, bluefinmod, 96743

Jerry_03

Beginner need advice for surf spinning reel

Post by Jerry_03 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:17 am

Hello,

I'm sort of a beginner at fishing.

I have a generic south bend brand 6ft rod 6-12lb rated, with a decent Okuma avenger 4-8lb rated reel. Been using it as a light surf spinning rod.

I will be getting a used 7ft Kinghawk Ocean Trophy rod 20-50lb test from a friend. I would like to use it as a heavier surf spinning rod. Need a decent reel to go along with it.

should a 20lb test reel be good enough? or so i could a little higher since the rod is rated all the way up to 50lbs?

I've been eyeing the Daiwa Opus Saltwater Spinning Reel 5500
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001IBHFVW/ref ... 7A1CPLSGUI

kona-ulua-style
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Re: Beginner need advice for surf spinning reel

Post by kona-ulua-style » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:58 pm

No easy answers. Hawaii has all kinds of shoreline fishes, many have there own styles of catching them, each location may require different set-up's...

Even using a simple Hand pole for shoreline fish is 'fun", there is bait casting using, light game rods and reels, med game and heavy game fishing -and even this can vary, if tarketing Oio, Papio or the Uluas... and each location will vary how to fish the spot..the best rod and reels to use to catch a number of shoreline species....

There is also Whipping for shoreline species, there is Ultra light game whipping (usually under 4 lbs) light game whipping -6-12lbs, and big game whipping using over 30 lbs and up to 80 class weights...(Uluas)

Also what do you want to catch..? Each will have several methods that can be use...the rod and reel set-up...44

This is NOT like Bass , or trout fishing here...? Where the species have almost the same combination or rod sizes and reels..
-----------------
This is just one suggestions here: Go with a 6-8 feet rod, can be use for dunking ? bait casting for smaller game fish (more abuntant), or can be use for light game whipping, walking along the beaches, 6-8 lb test line and the reels to match this...Using lures..or cut baits...

Dunking /Bait casting... can be found in most supermarkets... Ika (squid), shrimp, , this is harder to find, Tako and Aku belly...

Whipping most supermarkets will carry a small section of fishing supplies, and many plastic lures - under 2 inches..several designs and colors to choose from..

Good luck,,
Aloha

kona-ulua-style
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Re: Beginner need advice for surf spinning reel

Post by kona-ulua-style » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:07 pm

Jerry, If you live here..? Best to go and watch other shore line fisherman are doing.. and you will see all kinds of sizes, rod and reels being use...

Read any Hawaii shoreline fishing books for more ideas...

Visit the many Fishing stores...talk to the people behind the counters...

Want to catch fish..? Tarket the smaller game fishes...keep it simple too... can always move up to the bigger stuff..

Aloha