Fluorocarbon leader

Moderators: primo808, bluefinmod, 96743

jbv808

Fluorocarbon leader

Post by jbv808 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:57 pm

I was wondering what is the best kind of fluorocarbon leader that's not so pricey, targeting papio dunking and whipping?

Southshorepoundah
100+ Club
100+ Club

Re: Fluorocarbon leader

Post by Southshorepoundah » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:00 am

Howzit jbv808,
Here are a few u can try:

Berkley trilene.
Berkley vanish.
Spiderwire has a few different ones to choose from too.

I have tried both berkley and spiderwire, both are solid!
U can find berkley almost anywhere: at most fishing stores.
Spiderwire i usually get from any Sports Authority.

Hope dis helps my braddah.
Aloha, SSP

f8ldzz
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by f8ldzz » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:29 am

If the price bothers you, no need.
Papio will attack almost anything with gusto.
If you're worried about the fish seeing the line, use "clear" mono.

kona-ulua-style
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by kona-ulua-style » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:24 pm

Before fluorocarbon fishing lines were made, people always caught fish with regular mono lines...

Fluorocarbon lines can and does many times make a difference of getting more bites..( I think it works better for fresh water fishing ), than for salt water...

Today we always use fluorocarbon lines, mainly because it is less visible, and we think it does make a difference, just a little bit...
We use them for our handpoles and light whipping mainly..

As for cost..? We think if might be worth the cost, because today there is less fishes, and some species are afraid of fishing lines/hooks...Not all species...

Your choice to choose...off course...best to test them for yourself....between what you are using now and a brand name fluorocarbon lines. . (Note: all fluorocarbon lines are not the same, be aware of this...chemical make up, strength, flexable, stiffness, knot strengths, abrasion resistance...etc)...

One way is to get a clear glass of water, add a piece of your fishing line and the fluorocarbon line you purchase or borrow from a friend...compare for your self.. also do an outside test in the sun light too...

We have purchase several brands, (did not test against each other), we just use them only...can't say for sure if it really makes a "big difference"..? m..maybe a little bit better than regular mono... But we believe in using fluorocarbon lines, due to amount on the market, and amount of advertisement...on them..

Want to catch more fish? You gotta do your own testing...to be sure...and always experiment.

Aloha

jbv808

Post by jbv808 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:57 am

Thanks for the reply's guys. Anybody had any experience with maxima mono and fluorocarbon leaders?

jbv808

Post by jbv808 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:16 pm

Or Maxima Ultragreen leader?
Anyone experienced P-Line fluoro?
I know so much questions but I don't got the money to test lol

f8ldzz
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by f8ldzz » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:33 pm

Wow, you don't want to pay for fluruocarbon line, but you're willing to pay for Maxima?
Maxima is some of the most expensive line on the market!

Bolo I'a
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by Bolo I'a » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:40 pm

J-Line red label for small game, Berkley Pro Spec Fluoro for bigger game. Yo-zuri is good too.
LUCK is what happens when PREPARATION meets OPPORTUNITY
<*)))><

jbv808

Post by jbv808 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:10 am

I meant Maxima Ultrangreen Monofilament Leader f8ldzz :lol: . Not as expensive as their fluorocarbon. Just tryna make some tests and find somep peoples experiences so i no waste my money.

Kyle K
Member 50+
Member 50+

Post by Kyle K » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:13 pm

I don't know if Ultragreen leader is any different than their regular Ultragreen. I used Ultragreen on all of my light and ultralight reels back in the day. It was strong and seemed to last longer than other mono lines at the time. More importantly, it seemed to handle better than other lines for some reason. Less tangles, longer casts, etc., but that's not important in leader material. Lines sold as leader material will often be stiffer with a harder surface. The stuff was expensive, but worth it in my opinion, back then. Other lines have since improved to the point where I'm not sure it's still worth the price difference.

kona-ulua-style
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by kona-ulua-style » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:35 pm

We use to use a lot of red j-line, they have the Sakura line, a lot more expensive...but it seems to be a very good flouorocarbon line..

Now days we just buy all types, to try them...

Aloha,