Hooks, Spits, Etc.

Moderators: primo808, bluefinmod, 96743

jbv808

Hooks, Spits, Etc.

Post by jbv808 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:25 pm

I've been starting to fish at this spot where all kine fishing is running and get choke action at but from the couple recent trips, i've been getting choke spits and i targeting mainly small game like oio's and papios. I've hooked up and brought up fish from this spot before but it makes me curious on how come i've been getting choke spits. I've been using some size 16 bkn's. I've been running tight but not too tight drags and been getting choke action but the fish keep spitting and i know it ain't some balloon/puffer fish trying to fool around cuz from what i've experienced the strike does not look like a ballon/puffer fish. Any advice on setting the hook, drag, or hook size or anything else? i know spits are part of fishing but its been bugging me that i can't even bring up one fish when i've been having choke bites. Mahalos guys.

kona-ulua-style
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Re: Hooks, Spits, Etc.

Post by kona-ulua-style » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:24 pm

Are you sharpening your BKN hooks? Most of the BKN has to be sharpen by hand. Plus bkn hooks have a very wide gap, you may want to consider a tigher gap hook, like the Mustad Tuna circle hooks. Consider off-setting the hooks....thru time we found we get better hookups...

For our drags ,bait casting for Oio and Papios, we will set the drags on the lighter side of one hand drags.

What is the size of your leaders ( Mono or wire), we like to use 40-60 lb mono and #12 SS Piano wire for our leaders. Barrel swivel- larger is better ( 3/0)...easy movement on the leaders...

What kind knots you tying on the hooks, could effect how the hooks twist or turn sometimes or get in the way.

Do not use large baits , You do not want to cover the whole hook. We cut our tako legs into 1/4 inch thickness, about 5 inches long,(slightly dried)) and more exposer of the hooks. Smaller baits and dryer baits will cast farther too..
Oio and papio are not afraid of the seeing the hooks...and no need to color or paint them too...people catch more fish with the natural looking hooks (shinny).

If you can give more info are your set-up/technique, will be more helpful for everyone here to help you.

Aloha,

f8ldzz
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by f8ldzz » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:33 pm

How big or what size fish are you targeting?

A BKN 16 is pretty small in my book.
I typically don't go smaller than a BKN 20 - 22 for baitcasting.

jbv808

Post by jbv808 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:34 pm

@kona-ulua-style Most of my fishing is small game so my leader is mainly 20lb and I run long lead line and short leader in most cases. All the knots for my leaders are snell knots.

@f8ldzz I figured its a pretty small size hook, what is the smallest fish you remember that you caught with size 20-22 bkns?

f8ldzz
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by f8ldzz » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:20 am

I've caught like barely legal papios on BKN 20 - 22's - about 1lb.
I've seen a 7lb. papio inhale a Mustad 16/0! :o

Papios will typically "smash" the bait / hook, so no need be shy about the hook size and no need bury the hook into the bait.
This is another tip: like kona-ulua-style mentioned, don't choke the hook;

Oio's are a different matter.
Some will tell you that oio's will tend to be more wary about going after a bait / hook.
I tend to size my bait (usually tako) to the hook.
A friend uses the entire leg, but I don't like the fact that the skinny tip tends to wrap around everything and kill casting distance.
The spots I fish for oio tend to need long casts usually 120 yards+.
The odd times that I do use an entire leg, I've gotten a lot of spits - probably grab the wrong end of the bait and dropped it when the fish felt resistance.
Light baitcasting, I will typically use an Owner Lite Mutu 4/0 or 5/0; this is for more wary fish = mostly oio's or day fishing.
If I am primarily targeting papio, then I use BKN's.

If your spot has "nibblers", these circle-type hooks will not work very well.
The circle-type hooks are designed to work effectively on fish that grab and turn.
If you're dealing with light biters (or small mouths), it's hard to get them to hook on a BKN.

Are you dealing with strikes that ring your bell pretty hard?
If so, then it could be the hook is choked too much with the bait.
Also, I think it would help to step up a few sizes on the BKN's.
Last edited by f8ldzz on Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbv808

Post by jbv808 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:18 am

Well i've been using shrimp for dunking with my spinners and choking the hook is probably why i've been having choke spits but i'm not choking the hook too much but i'll be bumping up my hook sizes too so mahalos from the advice guys

kona-ulua-style
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by kona-ulua-style » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:48 pm

Yes, Hook size,maybe too small,try Bkn 24.- 28....

The hook needs to slide inside of jaw....

Aloha,