New Ulua Pole

Moderators: primo808, bluefinmod, 96743

johnnyu
Member 25+
Member 25+

New Ulua Pole

Post by johnnyu » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:34 pm

Hi All,

I'm a once a year fisherman, due to time restraints with 4 kids. I've had my 12' Ugly Stick for over 14 years now and I think it's about time to retire it. I was looking to finally get myself an Ulua pole. Can anyone offer suggestions on a brand and possible store to make the purchase? Maybe a "used" pole can serve my purposes as well? I am hoping to spend less than $150, so I do not know how realistic my expectations are to purchasing an Ulua pole in that price range. I fish down Punaluu side and have only caught a 6# omilu and various eels with my Ugly Stick and Jigmaster. I only baitcast from sand. The reason for the "ulua pole" is that I would love to catch one, one of these days. I am assuming my 14 year old rod would not be able to handle it. Thanks for any information you guys are able to offer.

kona-ulua-style
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Re: New Ulua Pole

Post by kona-ulua-style » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:02 pm

You really do not need a ulua pole to catch ulua. Ulua starts a 10 lbs and up...

OK, it will be easier to fight land a good size ulua on a ulua rod for sure....

You may want to consider a bait casting rod and baiting casting reel for Oahu shorelines...

Jigmasters size reels carrying at least 275yds or more of mainline,,40lb - 50lb lines...

Med rated uluas rods usually fall into this category for bait casting, 13-14 foot long. One piece will be cheaper, but the two pieces rods are more in demand.

On Oahu, garage sales, craiglist, and just about every fishing store will carry these size reels and rods.

Posting here for use rods and reels, often times will get some results, craiglist? - notice a little bit more expensive...at times..

Good luck...

Aloha,

johnnyu
Member 25+
Member 25+

Post by johnnyu » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:57 pm

Thanks for the reply, kona-ulua-style.

I should have just searched through this entire site. There is tons of information. Although some of it is a bit old, I believe it will still hold true today.
I have a Jigmaster 500, 505HS and I think I'll take a look at a used Nitro or new TICA.

Thanks again for the information.

kona-ulua-style
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by kona-ulua-style » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:13 am

Hello johnnyu,

One day, as you look back after many, many years of Ulua /shoreline fishing, you will be surprise by the amount or fishing rods and reels you once own...and the buying/selling/ and giving away stuffs, never ends.. cost is always raising... the fun is "endless"...

Getting the first one (ulua rod and reel) is usually the hardest part... once more knowledge is gain, you will want the newest and best fishing stuffs out there on the market today. The new fishing gears are getting better and more technical than before...which is best part...making our casting better, further out then before...

The only thing that never changes in fishing? Is being in the "NOW" ...you mind and body asorbe by life of fishing...
being in the present tense... This maybe a bit hard to explain? One day you will understand this... being in the present or NOW of fishing.. That is why we fish.... it is therapy or medicine for our mind and body... Puts us in our own world...nothing else exist when we are fishing...

Enjoy the fishing,

Aloha, I think I thinking to hard here...lol

f8ldzz
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by f8ldzz » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:37 am

Almost any of the "medium heavy" rated rods should work for you for those particular reels...
(The rod stiffness is really personal preference, but in general, the softer rods are easier to cast.)

Going with a used rod should not be a problem...
Nitro, Tica Wasabi, Okuma Hawaiian Custom are some of the cheapest options out there.
A step up would be a Shimano Tallus Ulua.
A few years ago, the Daiwa Saltigas were clearanced for $120 - $140, but very few pop up for this price (or lower).

14 years old for an Ugly Stik isn't that bad...
We got people using stuff from the 70's!
Sabre, Fenwick, Lamiglas, Harnell, Harrington all still work today!
Hell, my originally purchased AllStar Big Game blank is still kicking after almost 20 years!

johnnyu
Member 25+
Member 25+

Post by johnnyu » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:51 am

Thanks for all the replies guys!

I made my purchase the other day. I am the proud owner of a Nitro Power MH. :D

Not thinking, I left the store without asking about a sand spike. Since the SS butt is 11.25 inches, I'm gonna need a new spike that will only touch the butt part while it's in the spike.
Where would I be able to find a custom sand spike that is 11.25 inches from stopping pin/plate to the top? I am assuming it's custom made since of the 4 sand spikes I already own, the pole's fiberglass coating touches the top ring as the pole sits in the spike.

Thanks again for the advice!

kona-ulua-style
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by kona-ulua-style » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:22 pm

Congratulation on your new ulua fishing pole.

On your sand spikes you can add some rubber paddings/ foam paddings, etc. some guys will add pvc pipes..too

Aloha,

johnnyu
Member 25+
Member 25+

Post by johnnyu » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:00 am

Thanks kona-ulua-style. I should've just K.I.S.S. I picked up some PVC pipe and it just slipped right into the spike perfectly.

Thanks for all the advice guys!