Gear suggestion for shoreline fishing

Moderators: primo808, bluefinmod, 96743

nmesce

Gear suggestion for shoreline fishing

Post by nmesce » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:36 am

Hello,

My name is Nick.
I reside on Oahu.
Very active in the ocean, never got in to fishing to much, however I'm trying to change that.

I am interested in shoreline fishing.

A friend of mine who does a lot of off shore fishing recommended 6' ugly stick of some sort, however i do not know specific models and sizes i should go with.

i was also recommended penn spinners or shimano spinners, again he did not recommend any specific models.

I would like to keep it under $500.

I would be fishing for small medium sized fish like kala etc…

I am the absolute definition of a beginner but i am very active in the ocean, free diving, surfing, occasional three prong, body surf, etc. just never got to into fishing and i wanted to change that.

MAHALO ahead of time for all of your help.

Please point me in the right direction and let me know if you need any more information from me!

Best,

nmesce

Re: Gear suggestion for shoreline fishing

Post by nmesce » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:40 am

I should ad that I'm looking for a set up that will break down easily and can be packed up into my hiking backpack as i do a lot of camping and lightweight & minimal size is ideal.

kona-ulua-style
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Re: Gear suggestion for shoreline fishing

Post by kona-ulua-style » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:36 pm

You may want to consider getting two different fishing rods and reels?
One for small game whipping ( menpachi style rod ) 4000 series size reel - 6-8 lb test line.
One dunking rod and reel - Rod about 10-12 feet long (Med ,match to a 6000 series size reel- 15-20 lb test line...still targeting small game fishes.

There is no one size fish....

My son use to hike over Makapu, fishes with almost the same combo as above. His biggest there was a 10 lb Mu, and likes to whip for Menpachi at nights.

Like the game of golf, .you can use only one club...but it is better to have several clubs to choose from...

Aloha, Oh I miss the game of golf....but one good fishing hole is better than any18 holes of golf..