Intro

Moderators: primo808, bluefinmod, 96743

mr.smith

Intro

Post by mr.smith » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:35 pm

Aloha! I'm Josh. I'll be moving to Hilo in January for work.
I'm an ecologist, in general I study bugs but ecology is kind of all encompassing, looking at interactions within the ecosystem. I've also done a bunch of freshwater fish work.
I've done a lot of fishing in a lot of places. I learned to trolley rig/ hang bait in North Carolina. I learned about offshore trolling in Puerto Rico and Panama. I learned inshore techniques in the Laguna Madre of South Texas. I've also done a lot of freshwater fishing. I'm eager to learn how to slide bait and fish Hawaiian style. I hope to meet and fish with and learn from many of you. I'll bring the Heineken.

Bolo I'a
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Re: Intro

Post by Bolo I'a » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:55 pm

A great way to start is by reading the local fishing books by Jim Rizzuto and Mike Sakamoto. The books can be bought online or borrowed from local libraries. Ulua fishing is not easy by any means. For many, years go by before they catch their first ulua. Best of luck.
LUCK is what happens when PREPARATION meets OPPORTUNITY
<*)))><

Brian F.
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by Brian F. » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:53 pm

First thing you want to do when you get to Hilo is stop in at S. Tokunaga Store.
Aloha,
Brian F.

"No House, No Fish"
"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"
http://fishtoday.org (the views expressed above are my own and do not specifically represent that of PIFG)

kona-ulua-style
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by kona-ulua-style » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:37 pm

Welcome to Hawaii and Hawaii fishing forums...
--------------
If you study insects? We are using a all natural organic product that is killing the Borer Beetle in the coffee beans, on the family farm.
This product also destroys the virus on Papaya , Mac-nut virus, Banana virus, nematodes? , mites on bees, white fly eggs, and over 200 bad insects.. This person also got all the Wili Wili trees in Waimea-Oahu back to life - 100%

Trees become healthier, flower more fragant, earth worms like it, and easy to use...just spray it...

It was use a chemical spill in Alaska, and brought the land back to it self...

This product is call: BAM -(Beneficial Active Micro-Organisms),,,not on google sites... All natural, organic, safe to use... pro biotic so can drink it...

Aloha,

mr.smith

Post by mr.smith » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:11 pm

I'll have to look into that. Specifically we are looking at the impacts of ants and yellow jackets on native pollinators. I'll obviously have more info after I start.
I'm really looking forward to getting over there. The fishing here in northern Arizona has been lousy.

kona-ulua-style
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by kona-ulua-style » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:16 pm

Welcome...You will enjoy the fishing in Hawaii, especially at South Point..

Did you know there is a product you can eat, sold at most food markets, .. that will kill ants? Fire ants too, and destroy the whole colony...

Aloha,

mr.smith

Post by mr.smith » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:01 pm

Cream of wheat? Or maybe rice flour. I've heard both kill ants.

It may be a little while before I hit South Point but who knows. I'm eager to learn and to catch big fish.